Foundation License Now Book

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Foundation License Now Book

Post by nay27uk »

I just took the plunge and purchased the Foundation Licence Now book from amazon and including P+P it was £7.98 money I cant afford but I need the book because I keep re taking the test exam on ham tests and getting a different score every time, my best so far is only 95.54% I need 100%, I am just going to have to force myself to read it, because I want my Foundation so badly but for me 95.54% is not good enough.

The reason for this post is this.

From what I have watched and read online while doing my own research to get my licence is that the whole idea of HAM RADIO is welcoming the NEW BLOOD and encouraging anyone wanting to get into the hobby.

So my question is this, where are all the M6's and M3's that have already passed the foundation license that have in the past purchased the book in order to pass the exam themselves, where are those people offering the NEW BLOOD (don't like those words) their old copy of the Foundation Licence Now book, for just the cost of posting it to the NEW BLOOD? They don't need the book any longer so why not help the newcomers out by giving away your Foundation Licence Now Book for just the price of postage?

This post is just to say that.

I am hereby declaring to anyone on the forums that wishes to take their Foundation Licence that as soon as I have passed mine (I am 100% determined to pass this with a 100% score) and I will post here when I have passed, That the first newcomer that wishes to get His/Her Foundation Licence can have my newly purchased Foundation Licence Now Book completely free of charge apart from the postage cost for posting it to you, and may I wish you all the happiness in your new endeavour to pass and then in your new hobby after passing.

I just thought that this could help someone else that is eager to get a Licence but that may not be able to afford the book.

I will let you know when my Book is ready for someone.
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
owza
Call Sign: M0

Re: Foundation License Now Book

Post by owza »

I have kept my book because it's out of date, there are newer editions available. They are updated to reflect OFCOM edicts.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I understand your desire for 100%, but your certificate will only say 'PASS'.

Some hams don't understand that some folk take the Foundation as a whim, or dipping their toe into the water, and just don't get on with it and move on and buy some golf clubs. In the 'good old days' of C&G, you really knew you wanted to be a ham if you had to dedicate about 6 months of your life to getting a ticket.

Just like the driving test, the Foundation gives you the basics to be safe and not cause a nuisance, the real learning starts when you've passed.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

As Admiral has said you only get the word Pass on your certificate and the Licence is called the Foundation because that is what it is.
Gives you the minimum basics you need to know and then every thing else is learnt as you go.
The city and guilds exams were a lot of work and were not multiple choice as now days. - I still have the books from before I took my exam, the theory side is still very relevant but from what I understand not covered in detail much these days.
Ok so electronics etc has changed completely since then and you can go and buy stuff off the shelf that we had to build. I never sat the morse test because I just got brain fade over 4wpm. and was happy with the old class B licence that was VHF and above only. Those bands are now not used as much as they used to be.
Ofcom change the conditions of licences when they feel like it now and the hobby risks loosing parts of the spectrum to commercial users who are prepared to pay for it.
Just my thoughts.
EssexHam
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0PSX

Post by EssexHam »

Great that you're happy to pass on your copy of the book once you're done with it. You do occasionally see free or cheap copies of the book out there - at club events and rallies, and on eBay. I suspect unwanted copies are given out to people, as it's cheaper than posting.

As to why they're aren't more copies being shared - I suspect a lot of people want to hang onto their copy of the Foundation Licence Now book after they've passed. It contains some handy reference material that can be of use once you've got your licence.

I've still got my battered and out-of-date copy from 5 years ago. The club that trained me provided me with a copy - it was included in the course price - clubs get a discount, and it's cheaper ordering in bulk.

Also worth just mentioning that you don't need to pay for the book to pass - there are at least four free online courses, plus many clubs post their training material online for free, so it's possible to study without paying out.

Pete
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Some good points there guys.

I do understand now that it only says PASS so thanks for clearing that up for me as I was thinking you got a certificate with your score on also, a bit like a City & Guilds have your score on them, well mine do anyway.

The 100% thing is my personal thinking I suppose, and me pushing myself to do things properly, In my head I am telling myself It's got to be 100% Nathan because if its not then you have not learned and absorbed everything you should have in order to hold the licence, I am sometimes a bit of a perfectionist that gives myself goals that sometimes no matter how hard I try I just cant achieve (I aim to high I guess) however I know I can do this at 100% and is more of a comfort thing I suppose, so I can go in there and sit with the 26 Questions in front of me and know 100% in my own mind that I get every question right so I am not going back over things in my head at the end of the exam thinking OH NO I am sure I got 22 wrong etc etc.

Anyway thanks for the replies guys and sorry if I caused any offence to anyone as the OP was more of a helping out others post from my perspective but I do sometimes word things a tad wrong and come over as abrupt or like I have an attitude but I can assure you I don't.

I am hoping to make the call in around January so when I do pass hopefully first time the book should still be up to date hence my initial post offering it when I am done.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

OK I just got the book through the post today and it looks to be brand new so thats good.
I am surprised at how thin this book is as I was expecting a Bible sized book with about a million pages.
Hopefully I get some time this weekend to have a read from cover to cover.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

From your other posts about your practical radio knowledge and repair I would suggest that the Foundation will be a breeze for you. The full licence will need a bit of studying for, so that book will come in useful as a basis for that.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Thanks Admiral I appreciate the kind words of encouragement and I am now believing in myself a lot more than I was at the beginning and am now even more eager to get this in the bag.

Thanks all

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

best of luck with the exam. let us know how you get on :thumbup:
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Don't forget if you have any questions or want something explained in simple terms I am sure those of us who are licence holders will try to help out
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Thanks olman and porky I will keep you informed

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

And don't forget that every ham has an evangelistic duty to promote the hobby, especially to sinning CBers, remind them that they don't have to forgo their roots, it's the same hobby, just a different crystal in the radio. And bring them to TM1 too, the only forum where CBers, freebanders, SWLs, PMR , digital nerds and hams all get along, because we all mostly do all of the above.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

That's so true Admiral, it's all radio mate.

I would not know what I know today if it wasn't for my old man buyin me a BOOM BOX for my 12th birthday that had a built in SW radio and got me hooked on radio (I spent all my time at 12 years old slowly in my bedroom tuning the tuning knob looking for distant stations) at the age of 15 I went on to CB and was on CB till I moved in here 11 years ago (not allowed an antenna and don't think a mag mount would do any good from past experience).

I have always since the age of 12 had a radio of some sort even if it was just to listen to the shipping forecast on BBC Radio 4.

I absolutely love radio and anything to do with Radio.
Last edited by nay27uk on 03 Dec 2016, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

Admiral wrote:And don't forget that every ham has an evangelistic duty to promote the hobby, especially to sinning CBers, remind them that they don't have to forgo their roots, it's the same hobby, just a different crystal in the radio. And bring them to TM1 too, the only forum where CBers, freebanders, SWLs, PMR , digital nerds and hams all get along, because we all mostly do all of the above.
well said admiral :thumbup:
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)