Want to take my Foundation

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
paulears

Re: Want to take my Foundation

Postby paulears » 24 Nov 2016, 22:16

That's good - useful choices too, I see. Voltage and Power do need their relationships understood - and Ohm's law is a great introduction to all things electric.

nay27uk

Postby nay27uk » 16 Dec 2016, 21:19

OK so all booked in now with Leicestershire Radio Society for the 23rd Feb 2017 for 6 weeks I can't wait
26-TM-1995

Realistic Pro 2006
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Baofeng UV5R+
RTL-SDR 100 KHz - 2.0 GHz V-UHF/HF

FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Postby FakeJake » 19 Dec 2016, 13:12

nay27uk wrote:OK so all booked in now with Leicestershire Radio Society for the 23rd Feb 2017 for 6 weeks I can't wait

Good luck! :mrgreen:
Jake
Monitoring GB3CR & GB7HM(DMR)

stanogs68
Top Poster
Top Poster

Postby stanogs68 » 19 Dec 2016, 15:22

Good luck Nathan ,bye the way remember the questions for me haha only kidding I'll do it myself :thumbup:
computers mess with my brain !

Gareth1125
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: M6IGJ

Postby Gareth1125 » 19 Dec 2016, 22:41

nay27uk wrote:i Don't want to be a Pirate AND I must get my Licence.

Why is ther not a frequency band allocated to people like me that wish to get their Licence but have never been a ham operator but they need to have at least 1 hour on the HAM bands to learn (this should be compulsory at the end of each band).

Saying LISTEN O)N THIS AND THAT RADIO IS NOT ENOUGH to learn you need experienced operators to tell you where you have gone wrong just like I had in the mid 1900;s on the CB Freeband.

Hams talk about new blood well those NEW BLOOD should be able to at least try out all the bands they can work as a Foundation member before they even think about taking the exam.

There is a way. Www.internationalradionetwork.co.uk have a teamspeak app that you can use. It gives you access to several talk groups that are live ham channels running through d-star, echolink, allstar and a few others, plus other channels that are are made for users that are not yet licensed. Once registered (and it's all free), you can transmit on certain groups (obvioulsy the ones with actualy crosslinks into to live ham feeds are RX only until you have passed and got your licence). It uses the Teamspeak 3 application that will work on iOs, Android, PC, Macs and even Linux (You have to pay for it on Apple and Android tho), so you can play radio on the go.

There are lots of hams around that will help you with any questions you might have, and it's good practice. If you just want to listen, there are several nodes connected to it that you can use with hams from all over the World talking.

The system (known as the IRN server), is free to use for both hams and non-hams, but non hams need to join up to "The Guild" first (so they get some rules and regs given to them, and a temporary call sign). Joining the Guild is free too... Thelinks can be found on the website above.

Hope to catch you air soon ;-)

73's for now.

Gareth

nay27uk

Postby nay27uk » 20 Dec 2016, 10:36

Thanks too

FakeJake
stanogs68

And thanks Gareth1125 thats interesting information I will take a look at that one.
Hope to catch you on air too

73's
26-TM-1995

Realistic Pro 2006
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Baofeng UV5R+
RTL-SDR 100 KHz - 2.0 GHz V-UHF/HF

Return to “Licensing”