Want to take my Foundation

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: Want to take my Foundation

Post by paulears »

That's good - useful choices too, I see. Voltage and Power do need their relationships understood - and Ohm's law is a great introduction to all things electric.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

OK so all booked in now with Leicestershire Radio Society for the 23rd Feb 2017 for 6 weeks I can't wait
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

nay27uk wrote:OK so all booked in now with Leicestershire Radio Society for the 23rd Feb 2017 for 6 weeks I can't wait
Good luck! :mrgreen:
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

Good luck Nathan ,bye the way remember the questions for me haha only kidding I'll do it myself :thumbup:
love your familly
Gareth1125
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6IGJ

Post by Gareth1125 »

nay27uk wrote:i Don't want to be a Pirate AND I must get my Licence.

Why is ther not a frequency band allocated to people like me that wish to get their Licence but have never been a ham operator but they need to have at least 1 hour on the HAM bands to learn (this should be compulsory at the end of each band).

Saying LISTEN O)N THIS AND THAT RADIO IS NOT ENOUGH to learn you need experienced operators to tell you where you have gone wrong just like I had in the mid 1900;s on the CB Freeband.

Hams talk about new blood well those NEW BLOOD should be able to at least try out all the bands they can work as a Foundation member before they even think about taking the exam.
There is a way. Www.internationalradionetwork.co.uk have a teamspeak app that you can use. It gives you access to several talk groups that are live ham channels running through d-star, echolink, allstar and a few others, plus other channels that are are made for users that are not yet licensed. Once registered (and it's all free), you can transmit on certain groups (obvioulsy the ones with actualy crosslinks into to live ham feeds are RX only until you have passed and got your licence). It uses the Teamspeak 3 application that will work on iOs, Android, PC, Macs and even Linux (You have to pay for it on Apple and Android tho), so you can play radio on the go.

There are lots of hams around that will help you with any questions you might have, and it's good practice. If you just want to listen, there are several nodes connected to it that you can use with hams from all over the World talking.

The system (known as the IRN server), is free to use for both hams and non-hams, but non hams need to join up to "The Guild" first (so they get some rules and regs given to them, and a temporary call sign). Joining the Guild is free too... Thelinks can be found on the website above.

Hope to catch you air soon ;-)

73's for now.

Gareth
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Thanks too

FakeJake
stanogs68

And thanks Gareth1125 thats interesting information I will take a look at that one.
Hope to catch you on air too

73's

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Gareth1125
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6IGJ

Post by Gareth1125 »

Did you ever manage to try it by the way nay27uk ?

Gareth
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Start Tomorrow Gareth, it's the first day of Practicals Tomorrow.

Nathan

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

good luck m8 with it
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Good luck Nathan, waiting to see you post that new callsign :thumbup:
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Thanks all will let you know how I get on and In 6 weeks I will be sharing my new call, I say 6 weeks but that's how long the whole training is so say what 12 weeks, don't know how long it takes to get the call but I seem to remember reading about 6 weeks after passing.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

OK so first night did my Morse Appreciation and passed so thats good, now where do I buy a key and have it make noise with no radio like in the class?

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=morse+keys+for+sale

It does seem to me that there's this weird notion nowadays that everything in this world should be easy to achieve, with no effort and minimum cost - else it's somehow unfair, or against human rights?

As for having a band where you can experiment with radio for the main purpose of getting better at it - that's what ham radio is all about. You can learn how to operate by listening - the simplest thing in the world. Listen to other people doing it right, and getting it wrong. You don't need to speak.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

paulears wrote:...It does seem to me that there's this weird notion nowadays that everything in this world should be easy to achieve, with no effort and minimum cost - else it's somehow unfair, or against human rights?
The Americans seem to treat the latest digital scanner offerings from Whistler and Uniden as 'Plug n Play', boy do they moan if they have to edit an incorrect frequency or a misspelled alpha tag..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

Yep - that's exactly what I mean. It's easy to look back and gloat, but I remember spending years building up a Mil airband spreadsheet, with the stud numbers, and even wangling places on those tours they used to do with totally non-technical people, just so I could sneak a real photo of the cheat sheet taped to the radio in the cockpit - and then how shocked I was when one day - everything changed overnight. Now people are even too lazy/too mean to get one of the excellent CDs that forums have available. Queen said it - I want it now, and I want it all! I looked at the code plug I downloaded for my 380, and that took a huge time to compile in somebodies spare time.

I remember we had a topic started by somebody who had bought a radio and was truly shocked it was supplied empty! Not one frequency in it at all!

As to the test - One thing is certain, (like GCSE, A Levels, BTECs, HNDs, Degrees and even Masters Degrees) They have all gotten easier over the years. If Anyone wants proof, in my loft is my Physics O Level text book. It is four times the size, and has much smaller text, and far fewer pictures - plus it doesn't have pages that are supposed to 'test', but do it by making the answers obvious. The current version schools use for their GCSE is pathetic in content and depth.

All exams are getting easier, so more people have a qualification they don't really deserve. However, every single person who passes an exam, then moans about the next ones being easier.

OT, I know, but I spent 15 years working for BTEC, writing loads of the units over the years, and I gave up when after putting in the last full stop in a Level 2 (GCSE level) specification, the Government asked us to re-write it to make sure that people who were going to fail, could get at least a Level 1! The criteria had to be re-written to allow "I was present when X was carried out" to give them the pass - we wouldn't like failures, would we.

Are there any figures on pass rates for the radio exam? Does anyone ever fail? I have my suspicions they don't.