Want to take my Foundation

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Want to take my Foundation

Post by nay27uk »

Hi all.

I would like to go for my Foundation License and am currently doing some stuff on the Ham Tests website in preparation before I bite the bullet and apply, I am a bit stuck on something and hoped that someone could explain how it works.

The thing I am stuck on is this Frequency to Wavelength Chart, I just don't get how the chart works or how you use it, I am presuming like most other charts like this that you follow a line up to where it meets another line then follow it across to get the reading, but this chart has a million lines so where exactly does one start to go across on the chart?.

What is the Bold Black line that goes from one corner to the other?
Is this solid Black Line where you need to cross the the left of the chart?

I just don't get how this chart is used could some kind person explain to me how one uses it please.

Sorry if this sounds THICK but this is one chart I just don't get because of all the lines I have always thought that this kind of chart is where you go up on one line and across on the other and where they meet is your reading but this has to many lines.

I have Searched Google and YouTube for terms like "How to read a frequency to wavelength chart", "how to use a Frequency to Wavelength chart" ect ect but cant find any instructions.

I have attached the chart below.

Thanks for any help
ConversionChartFrequencyWavelength.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nay27uk on 23 Nov 2016, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
EssexHam
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0PSX

Re: Want to take my Foundation

Post by EssexHam »

Hi there,

No problem - it's not immediately obvious at first glance.

As part of our online Foundation course, we have a video showing how to use the chart. Go to about 10 minutes into the video here, for some help:

http://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundat ... e-module2/

Hope that helps, but if not, let me know,

Pete
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Than you EssexHam I will have a watch now. :thumbup:

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Thats awesome thanks for that EssexHam.

It was as I gathered I was doing it rite but thought I was going mad LOL because it somehow didn't seem right to me on the chart.

Before posting this thread I tested it on a frequency I do know the wavelength of, 3,5 mHz that as we know is in the 80M band and the chart sort of tallies up, however the black line is slightly out on the chart because 3.5 mHz comes out as 90M on the chart where the black line on the chart crosses almost like the big Black line is out a tad.

Thanks anyway for the help and I may go and watch that whole video.
Last edited by nay27uk on 23 Nov 2016, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
EssexHam
Regular
Regular

Post by EssexHam »

The lines on the chart aren't very accurate, but they'll be good enough to get you through the exam.

Happy to help,

Petr
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

OK thanks pal I can move on now to the next part. I may also bookmark that site as it looks very interesting.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

I just took the mock exam and scored 80.77 out of 100.00 or 21 out of 26 in 5 minutes so it would be a pass in real life as only 19 rite are required in 45 Minutes to pass, but this is not good enough for me (I know I can do better than this), So I need to do a little bit more reading on the ones I got wrong.

The questions I got wrong were as follows.

Q2
You must transmit your callsign:

A. at least every 30 minutes
B. when you call CQ
C. at the end of every over
D. every 10 minutes
(This is a bit of a trick Question and I should have chosen option B but decided on Option C).

Q5
You hear a station calling CQ on 145.5000MHz and you wish to respond. On what frequency must you transmit?

A 145.5000MHz
B 146.1000MHz
C 144.9000MHz
D 144.5000MHz

(I need to do some more reading on this one, I do know that 145.500 is out of frequency from some posts on this forum but I don't know what frequency to tell the other user to use instead).

Q6
It is not recommended for Foundation licensees to transmit

A In the segment 14.112-14.125MHz
B In the segment 14.099-14.101MHz
C Below 14.060MHz
D Above 14.300MHz

(I don't have a clue on this Question I chose Option A),.

Q21
Your neighbour's new Plasma 50" TV is wiping out the radio for you during the evening when they're at home. What do you do?

A Phone Ofcom, RSGB, BBC, SkyTV to sort this guy out
B Threaten him with police action
C Suggest he contacts the manufacturer of TV as could be issue with the set
D Pack radio away as it's not worth hassle now you can't use it

(at first I was going to go with Option D but thought NO why should I pack my radio away because of inconsiderate Manufacturers of Electrical Equipment, so I chose Option A instead, this seemed the logical explanation to me because OFCOM are supposed to be there to look out for us, are they not?, is this not what you would do if it was PLA interference?).

Q22
Which band is only available to amateurs on the basis of non-interference to other services outside the UK?

A 7MHz
B 14MHz
C 21MHz
D 50MHz

(No Clue on this one, I have read it somewhere but from what I read I assumed that it was just for AMERICA only and I chose Option A).

Not bad considering I only found the HamTests site at about 7PM yesterday.
Last edited by nay27uk on 23 Nov 2016, 17:19, edited 3 times in total.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
EssexHam
Regular
Regular

Post by EssexHam »

The Hamtests site is great for getting a feel for a possible score, but note that it asks random questions from a bank of questions, so we can't tell from your message which ones you had problems with. If you need any help with any specific topics, or are unsure why you got an answer wrong, ask away, and I'll help if I can.

Pete
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Just updated the post EssexHam to add the ones I had problems with.

Again thanks for you help.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
EssexHam
Regular
Regular

Post by EssexHam »

OK - Some specific help:

Q5: 145.500MHz is the 2m calling channel, and you'd need to reply on the same frequency, so the answer would be A. You'd need a copy of the band plan (Page 21 of the Foundation Now book, or in the exam booklet)

Q6. Refer to the Foundation Licence Schedule (page 30 of the Foundation Now book, or in the exam booklet)

Q21. EMC question, and they're after option C. It's unlikely that a real exam question would be worded this way

Q22. Refer to the Foundation Licence Schedule (page 30 of the Foundation Now book, or in the exam booklet)

In the exam, you'll be given a copy of the Schedule and Band Plan in the exam booklet - you're not expected to memorise the schedule and band plan, just to know how to look things up in it. Sounds like you didn't have a copy with you when you did the mock.

Pete
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Q5: Thanks for that I thought that 145.500 was reserved for Repeater input.

Q6: I don't have a copy of the book and have never read it as yet (but I can obtain a copy of the Licence Schedule).

Q21: Cheers for that heads up.

Q22: I don't have a copy of the book and have never read it as yet (but I can obtain a copy of the Licence Schedule)

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Is the Foundation Now book available in audio form?
I can read quite well but I do have Dyslexia so I end up reading one line about 3 times and I don't take a lot in by reading because in my brain I have gone down to the next line but I am actualy reading the same line of text that I just read before 3 or 4 times this happens, however when in Audio form or read to me I can absorb it.

I also have Dyscalculia and Aspergers syndrome so this is a right old challenge for me

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
EssexHam
Regular
Regular

Post by EssexHam »

For information on what's in the booklet, and where to get a copy, see: http://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundat ... m-booklet/

The RAIBC have an MP3 version of the book available - Go to http://raibc.org.uk/member-services/

Our online videos have proven to be helpful for people with dyslexia, so they might be worth a look too.

Pete
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

It would be very handy for you to download the current UK amateur radio licence - because most of the frequency stuff is detailed there. They expect you to remember key facts - the rules, really. Like Pete says, the edges of the bands are in the book. If you have Asbergers and are a bit dyslexic, then to be honest, asking questions here and getting the answers won't help much - because that's unlikely to be the best way you learn, but I guess people have told you that for years anyway - All those questions come up on Google searches, and by doing the searching personally makes sure the results get embedded quicker, because of the process you had go through to get the info. However - it's absolutely critical you limit your searches to the UK. 146MHz is out for us, but the Americans have it - so if you get info from say the ARRL web site on their ham licence it's wrong here. You need to swot up a bit on the channelisation of 2m - calling channels, then working channels - so 145.500MHz would be where you listen. Remember repeaters are NOT the primary mode of communication - semi-duplex, as in listening on one frequency and transmitting on another is technically required to make repeaters work, and also used on some marine channels - but normally you call on the frequency you listen to, because convention says you always wait for the channel to be clear before burst forth with your call. Pete's video idea can be good, but make sure you are getting solid stuff - there are some really dreadful videos out there - so check the content if it's from somebody you don't know. Club, group and professional help videos are good, but remember that somebody who only just passed can make a video a day after passing, and could well be talking rubbish!
EssexHam
Regular
Regular

Post by EssexHam »

Good advice from Paul there. Yes, the licence is an important document to refer to - although for the Foundation exam, you only need to know bits of it, not the whole document - the licence (all 23 pages) isn't a very user-friendly document, which is why most tutors only focus on what students need to know to get through the exam.

Google searches can be fraught with problems - either finding other country's answers, or out-of-date info based on the old BR68 licence, so as Paul says, handle with care.

Ideally, you want to base your study either on the Foundation Now book, or on the contents of a current Foundation course - local clubs run these, and you have the option of asking questions as well as doing the practicals.

Audio and video can help. Our videos form part of our Foundation Online course, and follow the current syllabus, so you can be assured that the material is up-to-date and relevant for the UK. The delivery is inkeeping with the RSGB Train The Trainers methodology, and we've had over 600 people enrol on the online course since launch last year. Hopefully our videos are of use, but we're always up for making tweaks if there's something we could explain better.

Pete