Another OFCOM balls up.

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
WhiteNoisePoetry

Another OFCOM balls up.

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

Just come to validate my licence,as I do every year (cos I'm nice - honest!).
And with their new portal comes a complete loss of login details (again) and you are forced to re-register.
I've lost count of the number of time OFCOM have lost login details or forced users to re-register over the years.
OFCOM (like the RSGB) couldn't organise an orgy in bleedin' brothel !

73 de WNP
Last edited by WhiteNoisePoetry on 29 Jul 2016, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Re: Another OFCOM b0llox up.

Post by Tigersaw »

I've heard you don't have to anymore unless you change your details
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Another OFCOM balls up.

Post by Admiral »

I guess it's your choice, you can validate every half hour if you want, but once a year seems a bit keen.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

What kind of licence would that be ? Amateur one needs validating every five years...
Last edited by Metradio on 30 Jul 2016, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
WhiteNoisePoetry

I might not remember in 5 years time, so it's easy to do an annual renewal and easy to remember.
I think many others do the same out of old habit.

The sick joke is, that OFCOM actually wanted genuine lifetime licences when online licencing was first being mooted.

But the RSGB objected, spouting crap about "radio amateurs are all potential terrorists" and "homeland security" might be risked due
to incomplete radio amateur databases. (Yep those actual words, as written by a certain GM who stole £40k from the till and published in
Radcom). The reality was they were peed off that their callbook sales would be ruined, so OFCOM relented and settled on 5 years validation.

73 de WNP
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:oops: I'm still trying to figure out how to print off a copy of my licence on the new system.... perhaps it's me or if not the function is available elsewhere on the new Ofcom site.

:think: How can you take a copy of your licence with you when visiting other countries if there is no function to print it?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

WhiteNoisePoetry wrote:OFCOM actually wanted genuine lifetime licences when online licencing was first being mooted.

But the RSGB objected, spouting crap about "radio amateurs are all potential terrorists" and "homeland security" might be risked due
to incomplete radio amateur databases. (Yep those actual words, as written by a certain GM who stole £40k from the till and published in
Radcom). The reality was they were peed off that their callbook sales would be ruined, so OFCOM relented and settled on 5 years validation.
How do you know this?

The bit about protecting callbook sales doesn't even really make sense if you think about it for more than two seconds...
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

Adriano9966 wrote::oops: I'm still trying to figure out how to print off a copy of my licence on the new system.... perhaps it's me or if not the function is available elsewhere on the new Ofcom site.

:think: How can you take a copy of your licence with you when visiting other countries if there is no function to print it?

save the ink m8
there is a brand new ham licence with every pack of werther's original untill stocks last
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
WhiteNoisePoetry

kr0ne wrote:
WhiteNoisePoetry wrote:OFCOM actually wanted genuine lifetime licences when online licencing was first being mooted.

How do you know this?

The bit about protecting callbook sales doesn't even really make sense if you think about it for more than two seconds...
Why ?

OFCOM in their original consultation wanted to simply have an address to issue a licence and that was it.
So a 5 year old could get his FL, live till 90 yrs and only ever given one address in his lifetime. That would soon trash any call book scheme.

It's all in the OFCOM / Radcom archives.

Anyway, give it another 10 years and OFCOM will start announcing that the burden of maintaining a database of crappy amateur licences isn't
giving the taxpayer value for money and they need to make cuts, and then all this validation will die anyway.

73 de WNP
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

Adriano9966 wrote::oops: I'm still trying to figure out how to print off a copy of my licence on the new system.... perhaps it's me or if not the function is available elsewhere on the new Ofcom site.

My Licences.
View.
Look for the 'i' symbol. allows you to download licence in PDF..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

Metradio wrote: My Licences.
View.
Look for the 'i' symbol. allows you to download licence in PDF..

Mike
Many thanks Mike I downloaded the PDF this afternoon :thumbup:
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

WhiteNoisePoetry wrote: OFCOM in their original consultation wanted to simply have an address to issue a licence and that was it.
So a 5 year old could get his FL, live till 90 yrs and only ever given one address in his lifetime. That would soon trash any call book scheme.

Do you have a link to these Ofcom archives by any chance?

Presumably it would still be a requirement of any license to immediately notify Ofcom if you change your main station address, just as you have to now if you move house part-way through the current 5 year re-validation period. How else would they contact you to inform you of future variations or revocations etc.?

Besides, Ofcom can't pass your details to the RSGB without your express consent anyway...

:eh:
takara

Post by takara »

WhiteNoisePoetry wrote:Just come to validate my licence,as I do every year (cos I'm nice - honest!).
And with their new portal comes a complete loss of login details (again) and you are forced to re-register.
I've lost count of the number of time OFCOM have lost login details or forced users to re-register over the years.
OFCOM (like the RSGB) couldn't organise an orgy in bleedin' brothel !

73 de WNP
Same here, best part was able to re-register using same details used on old portal.
Tigersaw wrote:I've heard you don't have to anymore unless you change your details
I've also heard this, from someone who rang to update a Club licence. Just wonder how they plan to revoke unvalidated licences if it's not necessary to re-validate anymore. Probably didn't want the workload in checking up on them.
WhiteNoisePoetry

kr0ne wrote:
WhiteNoisePoetry wrote: OFCOM in their original consultation wanted to simply have an address to issue a licence and that was it.

Do you have a link to these Ofcom archives by any chance?

:eh:
OK here's a link to spoon feed you ;-)

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consul ... io/summary

You'll see that the original proposal was a lifetime licence + no fixed period to validate + only update details when they changed.
This was their own recommendation at the bottom of the document.

Then there were two alternatives, a total deregulation like CB with or to maintain the status quo with extended renewal period.

As you can see, OFCOM's preference did NOT propose a 5 year validation period, or ANY period. That was an RSGB whinge, which we all knew
was because they wanted to preserve their silly callbook integrity. The pages of Radcom, newsgroups report the various machinations at the time.

Of course, the callbook stuff was never mentioned directly, it was all skirted around with other excuses, but it was plain for all to see.

73 de WNP
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Slightly OT, but still licensing, and stuck record time, I still feel strongly that the old class B licence should now be re-introduced as an exam-free licence. The Foundation is a firkin joke for radio knowledge but still discriminates against some that are visually impaired, or don't have a great command of written English either through education, word blindness or migration.
Leave HF to the hammies, intermediate and full, and open up V/UHF to those serious CBers and others that either didn't bother because of time, red tape or 'can'tbearseditis'. Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition