Another OFCOM balls up.

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Another OFCOM balls up.

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

paulears wrote:Amateur numbers are actually going pretty well,
I'm not so sure. They aren't removing SK's from the database yet - and we can all have multiple callsigns, which skews the data somewhat.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

paulears wrote:On the phone to Ofcom today, trying to sort out the new registration that has gone wrong for me, while waiting for their computer system, I mentioned this. Amateur numbers are actually going pretty well, and while not piling on numbers, there is clear replacements as the older ones die. However - there appear to be two distinct types of amateur now. Operators and radio professionals who are pushing the limits of the higher bands. Requests for NoV come in regularly for the GHz bands, and most modes are digital up there. I just wonder if those people never use 2 or 70 to chat. The normal 2/70 users have no interest in the higher bands, and for those up there, it's business as usual. Antennas are about plumbing and micrometrical measurements, and dishes are the norm. 'Normal' hams can't even listen up there, so live in ignorance.
Hmmm, radio professionals??? If you mean hams with day jobs in radio communications then yes.

As for numbers of hams in the hobby that means nothing imo, there is though distinct classes of hobbyists. Those that buy radio gear and just operate it. Those that want to progress and build it and/or get into more areas of the hobby. Those that have been there, done that, got the T shirt and just potter away in their own way and are content with. Those that come into it to see what it's all about then disappear for whatever reason.

Tomorrow is another day as the saying goes (bit random I know :D )
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Having just logged into the new site, I notice that there is a column in the license view pages for "payments" .
There have been rumours, perhaps this is just getting prepared for a fee again.

:)
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Mattylad wrote:Having just logged into the new site, I notice that there is a column in the license view pages for "payments" .
There have been rumours, perhaps this is just getting prepared for a fee again.

:)
If it's a nominal fee to cover actual admin costs and is £20 a year or less then I'm good with that. Any more and I will seriously consider piracy on principle.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

My thoughts- Ofcom still have not got the new system right, Tried to update my address details following my move and it took about 5 phonecalls.
1st problem was because I had changed e-mail addresses.
2nd Problem when I finally got reregistered would not show what licences I have.
3rd Problem when it finally showed my licences would not let me update the details.
Finally sorted but now looking at possible NOV and dreading trying to sort that out.
Construction is one reason I got into the hobby but all this hi-tech and lack of component suppliers if you discount Farnell and RS put me off.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Oldman54 wrote:My thoughts- Ofcom still have not got the new system right
That's because (in my opinion) Ofcom don't actually care. They have revenue making business to deal with, non-revenue making stuff like amateur radio and CB are a pain in their arse and they spend as little time and resource on it as they possibly can. RSGB Ltd know this and will push forever for the day that they can take some of the responsibility that they've always craved, and may your god help you if that ever comes to pass.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
owza
Call Sign: M0

Post by owza »

Just logged into the new system, I can see my licences but there appears no way to (re)validate them. Only 'View', 'Amend' or 'Surrender'. Is this the same for everyone?
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

owza wrote:Just logged into the new system, I can see my licences but there appears no way to (re)validate them. Only 'View', 'Amend' or 'Surrender'. Is this the same for everyone?
That is the same as I see it too. No way to (re)validate. I have tried a couple of times.
ClubbaUK
Regular
Regular

Post by ClubbaUK »

Is revalidation due yet?
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

ClubbaUK wrote:Is revalidation due yet?
It is five years after the licence is issued, or you last validated. So, for some it could be.
CBR1100XX
Call Sign: 108TM127

Post by CBR1100XX »

I used to do it every year ( instead of forgetting at 5 years ) and like above have lost that ability due to their new system , bring back the paper licence and a fee , no hassle back then .