dodgy callsign

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: dodgy callsign

Post by LeakyFeeder »

What a carryon in this thread!
We got it all....pirates, convictions, god, dodgy garden centres doing a bit of dx on their Bumfengs and finally topped off with bad langauge....
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

It's zany! :lol:
Last edited by kr0ne on 24 Jan 2016, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

LeakyFeeder wrote:What a carryon in this thread!
We got it all....pirates, convictions, god, dodgy garden centres doing a bit of dx on their Bumfengs and finally topped off with bad langauge....
It's certainly A "Hot Potato" for sure.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

MW6ZAN wrote:the majority of posters are in fact dam pirates themselves 73-•-
I'm an 11m pirate, so I guess I must be one of the "mind dead moronic idiots" you talk about. I'll use any frequency, mode or power I choose to between 26 and 27.995MHz.

I must be mind dead and moronic compared to you because you have a foundation license and I only have a 1st class (Hons) B.eng degree in communications engineering from Plymouth University?

Your sort make me puke, which is why I never wanted to be a Ham.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Otter wrote: you have a foundation license and I only have a 1st class (Hons) B.eng degree in communications engineering from Plymouth University?
I'll raise you a PhD in metallurgy (yes, Dr Admiral), and I'm a pesky radio pirate too.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
wardster
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6

Post by wardster »

LeakyFeeder wrote:What a carryon in this thread!
Oops! I hope I didn't raise the bad language flag when I was referring to Tom, "Richard" (as its four letter shortened version rhyming with tick, or lick was censored!), and indeed, Fanny, as of course, we have to be inclusive of all ages, races, gender and identity these days :)

And, I was being serious to him though in the questions I raised. Of course, there was a good dollop of sarcasm included, just like you would give a good salad a healthy dose of mayonnaise :)
Back on HF due to change of location and more filters on the baby monitor!
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

If the TM1 swearbot displays **** then you haven't really sworn, the mods don't like it when you circumnavigate the swearbot with Díck, obviously short for Richard in this instance as it has a capital D and not intended to be rude, but all of the really NSFW ones can be gotten around too, and that's when they get a bit annoyed.

So your conscience should be clear.
wardster
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6

Post by wardster »

Admiral wrote:If the TM1 swearbot displays **** then you haven't really sworn, the mods don't like it when you circumnavigate the swearbot with Díck, obviously short for Richard in this instance as it has a capital D and not intended to be rude, but all of the really NSFW ones can be gotten around too, and that's when they get a bit annoyed.

So your conscience should be clear.
Oh, my conscience is clear as a lovely sunny day in Skegness :)
Mind you, a shame some people on here do have to swear like old dockers in a quayside inn. I would have thought a retired old gentleman would have more decorum?
Back on HF due to change of location and more filters on the baby monitor!
rob12770
Banned
Banned

Post by rob12770 »

big difference between someone shouting ola ola coca cola on triple fives and some dafty making up callsigns and using amateur bands ..

this M3QST is NOT a pirate.. hes just a berk..
Last edited by rob12770 on 25 Jan 2016, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

If you insist on pirating the HAM bands, then probably best not to draw attention to yourself, hide in plain sight and don't cause any hassle.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
rob12770
Banned
Banned

Post by rob12770 »

MrWeetabix wrote:If you insist on pirating the HAM bands, then probably best not to draw attention to yourself, hide in plain sight and don't cause any hassle.
no point .. people always catch on quick if your unlicensed ..
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I was accused of being a pirate on the DMR MARC system yesterday by a stroppy M3.

The database has taken my name as it appears on my licence, but as I, like many, am known by my middle name rather than my christian name, I give my name on the radio and it says something else on the users screen, 99% of sensible people just said they'd alter my name in their radio database until the National database is updated (work in progress, but slow) apart from this knob of an M3 who actually used the term 'pirate' on air. He's a lucky boy that we were on TG235 or I might have got in my car and given him a jolly good telling off.

Moral of the story? Not everyone you suspect of being a pirate is, there can be perfectly innocent misunderstandings.
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

rob12770 wrote:big difference between someone shouting ola ola coca cola on triple fives and some dafty making up callsigns and using amateur bands ..

this M3QST is NOT a pirate.. hes just a berk..
Why is he or she "M3QST" being classed as a berk and not classed as a pirate by you explain please , is it because you are of the same mindframe as MW6ZAN that if you don't have any of the amature licences you are as he puts it "letting mind dead moronic idiots onto the air uncontrolled" or berks as you put it I started on CB in 1975and always thought one day I would like to become a amature but over the years meeting alot people like you and MW6ZAN within amature radio clubs I'm glad I didnt, I will stay a Pirate and always will be
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I bet there are more people out there using 'dodgy' callsigns than we know. It seems the only thing this guy did wrong to be noticed was not doing his homework right on callsigns issued. He was calling CQ in a polite manner, in-keeping with the etiquette of the band. Not as if he was mic-keying or doing anything disruptive.

Even amongst those of us with a licence, who Didn't dabble a little before they had their ticket?

How many licenced stations conduct themselves in a less-favourable way? What about the other thread which was on about an 'exam invigilator" who insisted on having QSOs on 145.505. Which one is causing the most harm to the band/hobby, this ignorant 'licenced' berk, or the guy having a cheeky go on the band?
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

In my area of London there is a few that are 100% licensed hams and they are not all M6's cos I know some of you licensed hams frown upon those and call them Cornflake operators and you will say they are most probably M6's, some of these are well seasoned full licence ops and they are the worst mind dead moronic idiots/berks , they go on the UK19 and sit there swearing and just act like total Ar5eholes or do the same thing on the T5 and when asked to move you get insulted then in the next minute are doing what rob12770 and MW6ZAN, the reason I know this is 1, I have mate who are licensed hams and have told me they recognised the voices and 2, I have actually heard a couple of the berks saying they are licensed and hear them talking about ham frequencies to each other , so before some of you so called respected ham ops point the finger how about looking at your own licensed lot first