dodgy callsign

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

dodgy callsign

Post by MW6ZAN »

Hi chaps just a quick post ref callsigns was listening to a local repeater tother week and heard a cq call and the callsign was M3Q?? I wont give the full call but i was thinking ofcom never allocated a Q in the first letter of the prifix this op is a pirate in my opinion what do you all think.
VintageTin
Call Sign: 26TM516

Re: dodgy callsign

Post by VintageTin »

Pretty sure you are correct.
Malcolm
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

I was knocked back in 1998 when I passed my NRAE as I wanted 2E1QRP they said no chance and gave the next one inline.
Martinedwards
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Martinedwards »

2 m3q calls on QRZ.COM
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

But no Q calls at all available in 2013 when this bloke asked:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... teur_radio
2SG

Post by 2SG »

There should be no UK calls that have a 3 letter suffix beginning with Q.
If you look on the available callsigns lists from Ofcom FOI requests, you will see that they go straight from P to R.
There are, as stated, a couple on QRZ.com, but one of them (the only one with a bio) says that he is now a 2E0, and that his previous calls were M3Q** and M3V**, which probably means that Ofcom issued the one with the Q by mistake, and then realised, cancelled it and reissued him with the other one.
Mistakes can happen, but I'd be very wary of anyone using such a call, particularly something natty, like QRP, QSL, QSY etc.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Thanks guys i had a feeling somthing was not ok with the callsign it was pointed out to me by a full call on echolink tother day well this chap m3q?? Has been heard calling cq via a few repeaters i believe a call has been made to ofcom about it take care all best regards.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Tut, tut, Echolink... that's not real radio now ZAN... :P
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

Let he that be without sin cast the first stone.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Why was Q not to be issued though?
owza
Call Sign: M0

Post by owza »

To avoid confusion... "CQ CQ CQ this is M0QSY" Eh, he wants me to QSY? Yes, but what's your callsign?! Repeat! {bnghd}
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Ok guys just confirmed with ofcom M3QST licence has not been issued by ofcom so take note you have been knobbled who ever you may be. :clap: :clap:
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Who cares really though?
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Kr0ne this is why amateur radio is in such a mess these days nobody gives a flying frack any more, lets be honest to gain a foundation licence ant rocket science is it unlike cb radio there again amateur radio is supposed to be a gentlemans hobby. Rules and regulation are supposed to be followed unlike cb where anything goes, some would say its only a hobby but thats what makes amateur radio special, and in my opinion to let idiots like this unleashed on the bands that they have no authority to be on makes me really pissed off and peeved, also with the minority of amateur who may know who they are but more so with ofcom for not having the balls to track these bloody pirates down and fine them.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

kr0ne wrote:Who cares really though?
I would imagine lots of people care, myself included, and also Ofcom care believe it or not!
The fact they no longer have the funds and resources to chase up every infraction of the amateur rules, doesn't mean they no longer give a stuff!
If the funds came forward, from the powers that be, they would be back to the bad/good old days of Buzby, kicking doors in, plod in tow!
As it stands they don't have the wherewithal anymore, so if amateurs start to feel they no longer care, or fail to do a bit of self policing, then the hobby is truely finished at the end of the day!
Plenty of places to "pirate" if thats what gets certain folks rocks off, without even touching the licenced amateur bands.
Years ago, when it was RAE or bust, plus morse for HF, whilst not condoning, you could almost understand why some who felt they could not attain a licence did a bit of amateur pirating on the side.
These days with FL entry level, and with that virtually all bands accessible, and the Worlds your oyster, I can't imagine many hobby radio minded folk that could not get a licence for a bare minimum of effort!