10/11 Crossband

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: 10/11 Crossband

Post by Admiral »

No, duplex.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Thing is, how will anyone - even ofcum know what he is receiving?

How are you going to identify this station if they have not got a ham license, because then your not supposed to talk to anyone that's not licensed except under special licensing conditions..
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I believe Ofcom no longer require stations to ident themselves other than an initial one. And it will be a technical investigation.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:) Interesting thread !No offence but personally I don't see the advantage of doing this as both 10 and 11 metres have similar characteristics .Why not just use the CB directly to talk to non licenced members ? Some amateur radio clubs do this and there are plenty of available empty channels ! I realise this is all hypothetical though .
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Admiral wrote:The object of the exercise isn't to do 'what the f*ck we like', as said, the 11m will be 100% legal, and the 10m also, but can you mix them legally?

Clearly the 11m side isn't so much of a problem, that's why the question was asked in the ham bit.
What is the end result you are trying to achieve by doing the exercise then? I see no benefit in it at all save for just playing about imo.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I guess 'playing around' is an interpretation of a technical investigation.

I'm just curious if anyone with any legal-speak experience can interpret the vagueness of the post 2006 regulations.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Quite often i listen to a couple of stations working crossband 2m/23cm repeaters...

Spose any use at all on 23cm is better than nowt
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Yeah, just go for it...
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Admiral wrote:I guess 'playing around' is an interpretation of a technical investigation.

I'm just curious if anyone with any legal-speak experience can interpret the vagueness of the post 2006 regulations.
Nothing wrong with being curious and doing some investigations into an issue, I don't think cross banding from ham to CB (or the reverse) is worthy of any investigations, technical or otherwise, as there's nothing to be got out of it - save maybe Ofcom frowning upon such activity possibly.

Without delving into the legal print of both ham & cb (I couldn't be bothered anyway) I'm inclined to say that tx-ing on a ham band in a way that it can be picked up on a cb freq would mean the licenced op coming to the attention of Ofcom. Also listening to CB radio (or any other transmissions) while talking on ham bands (the volume of being sufficiently high enough) so it/they can be heard during that transmission might also bring an operator legal problems.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

No, no, neither TX with be heard on the other, maybe my use of 'crossbanding' was incorrect, duplex, simultaneous 10m tx with 11m rx and vice versa but on different bands, no cb heard on 10m and no hammy stuff heard on 11m.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Admiral wrote:No, no, neither TX with be heard on the other, maybe my use of 'crossbanding' was incorrect, duplex, simultaneous 10m tx with 11m rx and vice versa but on different bands, no cb heard on 10m and no hammy stuff heard on 11m.
I'm confused now!

Duplexing is tx-ing on one freq and the same trans is broadcast on another freq - but still within the same band. Yakking on a freq on one band, and then the same trans is rebroadcasted (heard) on another band is cross banding not duplexing.