US amateur radio license

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
MW0SWA
Call Sign: MW0SWA

US amateur radio license

Post by MW0SWA »

I was thinking of sitting the US amateur radio exam in October at the RSGB convention.
I understand there is also 3 classes of the license much like our UK set up.

-Technician License
-General License
-Extra License

I aim to sit the technician license.

I have heard that you need a US postal address though.

So my question to you guys on here, have any of you sat the US exams and achieved a US callsign and what did you do for the US postal address requirement?

Regards
I am a bit crazy about the Realistic DX-394
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Re: US amateur radio license

Post by Road_Hog »

The obvious question and elephant in the room is...

WHY?
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

Road_Hog wrote:The obvious question and elephant in the room is...

WHY?
Because you can...
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

You can "do" a lot of things these days, but bottom line is its only of any use if you intend to migrate, or spend an awful lot of time there!
As you can operate reciprocaly with a full licence, unless you intend to spend a lot of your time there, I also ask what is the point?
If you feel their standards are somehow higher, then the question is higher than what?
Just attain the full UK licence, unless you already have it of course, and most of the world is your "oyster" as far as reciprocal operation licencing is concerned!
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Just so that he can tell the yanks how easy their own tests are ;)
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Why not? Some people simply enjoy the challenge.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

The great thing about the US system is being to be able to take all the tests in one sitting. Something we can't do here. I'd have preferred to do that then apply for a reciprocal here. But that's just me.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Post by radiogaga »

If only such an option was available for Spain! (I don't mean the reciprocal bit :) )
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
Mark-in-Essex
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Mark-in-Essex »

GeeFull wrote:
Just attain the full UK licence, unless you already have it of course, and most of the world is your "oyster" as far as reciprocal operation licensing is concerned!

He does ;) http://www.transmission1.eu/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=47014
Lumiya

Post by Lumiya »

thedeerhunter270 wrote:The great thing about the US system is being to be able to take all the tests in one sitting. Something we can't do here. I'd have preferred to do that then apply for a reciprocal here. But that's just me.
You can do all 3 tests for the UK licence at the RSGB convention.

Other options is Ireland where a single RAE is still in effect and the licence is transferrable to a UK advanced licence.
CB since '85
AR since '91
Ex-RAF

If you get just a YES or NO answer it will mean either you should already know the answer or you have proved yourself incapable of understanding the answer. Also if you think I need to explain what I type then perhaps you should realise your own limitations
Mercunium
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0LXQ

Post by Mercunium »

I came on today specifically to ask about US licensing - didn't expect a thread to already exist!

I've been trying to find out if they are offering US exams at the Convention this year - there's nothing online or in RadCom as yet. I e-mailed the address given for US exams at 2014 Convention about a week ago and haven't had a reply.

I'm already fully licensed UK-wise, but want to do it 1.) for the challenge and 2.) because I am married to an American and it's not unlikely that we will move over there eventually. I have the technician and general license books from the ARRL (ordered on amazon.com - not amazon.co.uk) and I've been reading through them. Have plenty of time to get up to speed before October and qrz.com offer practice exams from the real question pool. Question pools are in the books too (and downloadable free from ARRL website).

My question is do we need to book in advance or just turn up? If you fail one, can you retake it immediately?

Mark, M0LXQ.
VintageTin
Call Sign: 26TM516

Post by VintageTin »

You can take PRACTICE tests via QRZ.com if you are registered on there. They cover the complete set of pool questions and I thought the only tricky questions on the technician paper are the more US appropriate licencing conditions which differ from ours a bit. Even so, I still managed a "pass" even if most of the licencing conditions were a complete guess.
Malcolm
WhiteNoisePoetry

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

And don't forget, if you let your US licence lapse for 2 years or more then you have to re-sit the exams to get your licence back !

http://forums.radioreference.com/gettin ... eriod.html

A completely pointless rule that serves no useful purpose at all.

Maybe the the RSGB were involved ? <grin>

73 de WNP
MW0SWA
Call Sign: MW0SWA

Post by MW0SWA »

Mercunium wrote:I came on today specifically to ask about US licensing - didn't expect a thread to already exist!

I've been trying to find out if they are offering US exams at the Convention this year - there's nothing online or in RadCom as yet. I e-mailed the address given for US exams at 2014 Convention about a week ago and haven't had a reply.

I'm already fully licensed UK-wise, but want to do it 1.) for the challenge and 2.) because I am married to an American and it's not unlikely that we will move over there eventually. I have the technician and general license books from the ARRL (ordered on amazon.com - not amazon.co.uk) and I've been reading through them. Have plenty of time to get up to speed before October and qrz.com offer practice exams from the real question pool. Question pools are in the books too (and downloadable free from ARRL website).

My question is do we need to book in advance or just turn up? If you fail one, can you retake it immediately?

Mark, M0LXQ.
Hi Mark,

im pretty sure that information will be released soon regarding the US exams at the RSGB convention.
Are you aiming to sit both the technician and general exams there on same day? Is there any practical elements like there is for the UK procedure?
I think i shall buy the same books you have bought and get reading.
I just need to find how im going to get round the issue of not having US postal address.

keep me updated on any info you have

73s
Scott
MW0SWA
I am a bit crazy about the Realistic DX-394
Mercunium
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0LXQ

Post by Mercunium »

RedDragon wrote:Are you aiming to sit both the technician and general exams there on same day? Is there any practical elements like there is for the UK procedure?
I think i shall buy the same books you have bought and get reading.
I just need to find how im going to get round the issue of not having US postal address.
Hi Scott,

From the reading I've done, there is no practical at any level. The ARRL books I've got tell you a fair amount about the exams and the ARRL website has a list of "things to bring" (http://www.arrl.org/what-to-bring-to-an-exam-session). In the US, you can just turn up to an exam session unannounced as they are all listed on the website so I would imagine you need to do very little before the exam. They are the same sort of style exams as the UK version except the question pool is public. Pass mark is 75%.

Yes, I was planning on doing both exams on the same day, but will be guided by however they are doing it. Hopefully see you there then!

Mark.