Maritime Licenses

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Maritime Licenses

Post by kr0ne »

Are you maybe getting confused with when the amateur licence was a C&G qualification? I'm sure it used to count for something in the marine radio world back then and was usually taught by the same college...
spynappels
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2I0SEH

Post by spynappels »

Possibly, but as the RAE has gone the way of the dodo and the RYA certainly don't seem to do any HF based courses, I'm wondering what Ofcom view as a Certificate of Competence and an Authority to Operate?

They mention both as being specifically required, and as the Advanced Amateur Exam is essentially a HAREC exam, would that be considered to satisfy the requirements? The fact that a full license holder is permitted to operate /MM might suggest that it may, and that's what I, and I think the OP, would like clarity on.
mattltm
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by mattltm »

The GMDSS LRC covers more operating procedures and less technical content than the Full Amateur licence.

Operating procedures on the marine bands are very different to the HAM bands and getting the message across accurately and quickly are much more important when you have a hole in your'e boat!

If you want to get the qualification (which you would only really need if you were planning on sailing around the world) then you need to get a "GMDSS Long Range Certificate" and present that to Ofcom as your "Certificate of Competence". They will not take anything else. Failing that, do what every blue water sailor I know does and get a satellite phone instead.
"Spooky action at a distance."
spynappels
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2I0SEH

Post by spynappels »

Ah ok, that's clear.

Thanks for that.
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

RedDragon wrote:The diving club I belong to will have to have a separate license for their radio equipment, and my SRC certificate enables me to operate their stuff?
Almost. There are still a couple of conditions that are supposed to be fulfilled.

Firstly, transmissions are only allowed if authorised by the master of the vessel

Secondly, I recall there being something about no "extraneous transmissions"

So just because you have a certificate of competency doesn't mean you can nip into the wheelhouse, grab the microphone, twiddle the channel selector and call up any passing vessel just to ask "what their working conditions are"
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

mattltm wrote:Failing that, do what every blue water sailor I know does and get a satellite phone instead.
Pretty ubiquitous now. You can buy a hand portable one for £270 and run it for £20 a month or so.
TechnoGuy
Regular
Regular

Post by TechnoGuy »

spynappels wrote:They didn't address Marine HF though, and what they consider to be a Certificate of Competence for that.

The RYA SRC is extremely simple if you've already got your full Amateur license.
LRC (Long Range Certificate) training course. 2-4 days long with exam.

http://www.yachtcom.co.uk/lrc/
battlestarone
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: gm7jds

Post by battlestarone »

didn't an hf marine RO used t be able to pass out at 28 wpm Morse to gain a cert,,,how many hams can do Morse at this speed or Morse t all since it was dropped.,,and remember 28wpm was expected starting point back then,,,not many ship carry an RO these dayss its a comms and electronics guy.