New 0fcom rulez

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
NiCdeth

New 0fcom rulez

Post by NiCdeth »

I just got my new-IMPROVED licence through the email and a few interesting things have struck me which could make the Foundation™ licence even better:

foundation licensees can (theoretically) work on 135kHz, according to Table A on p16;

Said licensees can also do remote operation (part 10(6) p9), as long as the remote link works either in Table A (above 30MHz, note G, p14), OR using public links (cough446) that are suitable and adequately secured (note F, p14). I knew those non standard FeduWaShing CTCSS tones were there for a reason!

More generally, encryption can be used to impersonate help category 1 or 2 responders.

edit to remove non-bizarre 0fcom catch
Last edited by NiCdeth on 24 Mar 2015, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Re: New 0fcom rulez

Post by Road_Hog »

Oh great, that means another 24 pages to print out to stick with the licence.
M6UCW
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0UCW
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UB7 Greater London)

Post by M6UCW »

Don't think you need to print them all out as the licence is only the first pages, the rest are the terms and conditions and you only need to have your licence.

I got the email yesterday - didn't read much as I have no clue what the changes were - would have been better to highlight changes.

But as I now have a 2E0 I don't use my M6 - is it worth keeping I wonder? It's only connected to a DMR MARC radio ID but even that I have requested to be updated.
Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 16/07/14
pterodaktyl

Post by pterodaktyl »

NiCdeth wrote:In traditional 0fcom style though, there is a bizarre catch: You have to be contactable by phone anywhere you operate (note X, p22). This is weird, because 0fcom don't have my phone number, nor might the other station I could be speaking to...so what's going on with that? Also, this means you CANNOT operate legally if the phones go down. Hmmm.
Only applicable to operation in the 5MHz band, as is the whole of Sched. 1 Note G. I assume it's so you can be contacted easily if you cause interference with a Primary user on the band. It's been carried across from the NoV which was previously required to operate on 5MHz, which asked for a telephone number to be entered as part of the application process. Anyone who manages their licence through the Ofcom online system should have a telephone number associated with their licence, not sure about those still on a paper licence though. The strange bit is that it doesn't specify that the telephone in question be the one for which you've provided a number!
pterodaktyl

Post by pterodaktyl »

M6UCW wrote:I got the email yesterday - didn't read much as I have no clue what the changes were - would have been better to highlight changes.
You should have received a letter or email from Ofcom which detailed each change to the licence wording. If you didn't, the summary of the changes is here: http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/ ... nnex_A.pdf
NiCdeth

Post by NiCdeth »

pterodaktyl wrote:
NiCdeth wrote:In traditional 0fcom style though, there is a bizarre catch: You have to be contactable by phone anywhere you operate (note X, p22). This is weird, because 0fcom don't have my phone number, nor might the other station I could be speaking to...so what's going on with that? Also, this means you CANNOT operate legally if the phones go down. Hmmm.
Only applicable to operation in the 5MHz band, as is the whole of Sched. 1 Note G.

That's what eagerly posting at 1:24AM does! I thought that part didn't fit somehow.
takara

Post by takara »

M6UCW wrote:Don't think you need to print them all out as the licence is only the first pages, the rest are the terms and conditions and you only need to have your licence.
Not according to this:-

17(2) The Licence consists of Section 1 and Section 2 (which includes Schedule 1 and Schedule 2) together with the notes thereto, as any of them may be varied from time to time.
M6UCW
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0UCW
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UB7 Greater London)

Post by M6UCW »

Oh well. I have both mine in the shed - the M6 is an older copy but then is it worth me printing +20 pages.
Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 16/07/14
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

takara wrote:
M6UCW wrote:Don't think you need to print them all out as the licence is only the first pages, the rest are the terms and conditions and you only need to have your licence.
Not according to this:-

17(2) The Licence consists of Section 1 and Section 2 (which includes Schedule 1 and Schedule 2) together with the notes thereto, as any of them may be varied from time to time.
Yep, it says that you must print out the other part off (it's quite specific, not mentioning a pdf copy, but printing) and keep it together with the licence. From memory the whole thing is 24 pages, your licence being the first two.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

I ain't printing nothing off. Ofcom sent it to me as a PDF doc, so if any of their officials ever visit me and want to see my licence they can either plug mem stick I've downloaded onto into their tabs or laptops and read it, or they can use my PC to look at it. :problem:

This is the digital document age, the paperless office, save the planet's resources and all that. ;)
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Transwarp wrote:This is the digital document age, the paperless office, save the planet's resources and all that. ;)
Ah yes, recycling paper and reducing usage - the sure fire way to ensure that forests are no longer economically viable!
Macman
Call Sign: 163TM

Post by Macman »

I got the email yesterday - didn't read much as I have no clue what the changes were - would have been better to highlight changes.

But as I now have a 2E0 I don't use my M6 - is it worth keeping I wonder? It's only connected to a DMR MARC radio ID but even that I have requested to be updated.

Strange, I haven't had any communication from them but perhaps they haven't gotten round to us Welshman yet. I've read the Offcom document though, there are some handy little tweaks if you can filter read the thing, not reading 24 pages of wibble though :D
Yesterday It Worked, Today It Won't That's Radio.
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

Macman wrote:

Strange, I haven't had any communication from them but perhaps they haven't gotten round to us Welshman yet. I've read the Offcom document though, there are some handy little tweaks if you can filter read the thing, not reading 24 pages of wibble though :D
When did you get your licence?
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Macman wrote:Strange, I haven't had any communication from them but perhaps they haven't gotten round to us Welshman yet. I've read the Offcom document though, there are some handy little tweaks if you can filter read the thing, not reading 24 pages of wibble though :D
Make sure you haven't had an email go into your junk folder from Ofcom, mine did.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

Well, I never received an email, but I wasn't too bothered about it, as it's their responsibilty to inform me of any changes.

Just went to see my licence and conditions, to see if I could spot that it had been changed online, only to find my licence is blank - none of my details on it at all.

Me thinks a call to OFCOM is on order tomorrow.