Looking at becoming a licensed Radio Ham

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Brunlea
Regular
Regular

Looking at becoming a licensed Radio Ham

Post by Brunlea »

I've had an interests in radio from my teens. I've used the CB in the past and love my radio receivers. I've been pointed to this forum by Burnley Radio Club.

I want to become licensed and find out more about Amateur Radio. I've little knowledge in this area. Could someone point me in the direction I should take next please?
Brunlea | Lancashire, England
Aviation Geek, Radio Geek, General Geek!
Roger Wilco
Barnbilly

Re: Looking at becoming a licensed Radio Ham

Post by Barnbilly »

is Burnley radio club an amateur club or are they professional cbers??

if they are amateurs then I think they are letting you down by simply pointing you at TM1
they should know who is running any courses in their area if they dont themselves sorry i cant be more helpful than this but Im a long way from you
Dont worry what class of licence he holds, worry what class of bias he applies to the amplifier !
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

If the only advice they have given you is to come on here then I suggest you find another club.
Just do a google search, I have no doubt some will come up.

Getting your ham ticket is a doddle this day and age.

Have a look here for a club.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Actually guys I think it was me that suggested it so please don't bite too much, I take it that Brunlea posted at the start of the month on the Burnley clubs forum and got no answer.

AFAIK The Burnley radio club's forum admin passed away recently leaving it helmless, so the forum is not getting posts on much.
They play with radios, not internet stuff.

Brunlea, you can go to one of the Burnley club meetings and get some help and instruction from them but don't expect it to be via their forum.
If your not happy with them, then there is the Rochdale club on Wednesdays at Norden (I can give you more details if you want) who do classes all the time.

But here you can get some suggestions & help, or there are some other forums.
Brunlea
Regular
Regular

Post by Brunlea »

Hi Mattylad it was me who asked on there and I was directed here :)

I tried to email the club admin via their website but I understand now why I got no response. Rochdale may be the best location for me then at this time so I would appreciate more information. I'm a complete newbie to amateur radio really.
Roger Wilco
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Ah when the full story is told it makes a huge difference.
I was under the impression you actually went to the club because that what you are supposed to do with clubs, attend LOL

So I change my answer to, go along to the club and see what advice they give.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Mattylad »

If your in Burnley then their club is in Higham, they meet every Thursday evening at 7:30 and it might be best popping along & finding out more.

The Rochdale club meet Wednesday evenings in Norden in the old library (on the right when going via edenfield direction) if your wanting to go let me know and we can meet up & go together, I want to pop over and become a full member. Dave G3RIK is the person to contact and he can tell you more, but its going to be a doddle.
http://www.radars.me.uk/

Just be sure to hide the fact that you may have all your teeth still :)

The link above Andy posted also shows up:
East Lancs Radio Club, G4ELR
4.3 miles away
RSGB Region 3
01282 798088
Meeting at Gannow Community Centre (is this the old baths?)
I'm not so sure about this being current so it would be best ringing James M0NWT.

Your previously posted scanner links are handy - cheers.
M6UCW
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0UCW
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UB7 Greater London)

Post by M6UCW »

Many clubs aren't that great at responding to forum posts or emails so always best to either call or visit.
I had the same - I emailed several local clubs then when I got no response I went to the closest club and got all the info I needed and got my M6 (and now 2E0) a few months later.
Good luck which ever route you go - there's plenty people out there to help. Get the Foundation Now book and start learning even before you sign up so you can get through it easy.
Some places do Foundation courses over a weekend so some earlier studying may lead to a quick result.
Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 16/07/14
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

Brunlea wrote:
I tried to email the club admin via their website but I understand now why I got no response.
Don't worry, that's about par for the course, both my local clubs blanked me. Just remember to support the club that does help you in the end. Quite often, it is just a matter of travelling a bit further afield.

Try to find a club that is quite pro-active about training people. I use this just an example, much too far away for you.

http://www.wythallradioclub.co.uk/training/
Darkstar1
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: m0wow

Post by Darkstar1 »

Brunlea, As chairman of Burnley radio club i must sincerely apologise if you got no response from the club admin via our website, I will chase this problem up and sort it. The club meets every Thursday night at Higham village hall at 7.30 pm, you are most welcome to come along and see us. We regularly run courses for both M6 and 2EO Licences, as a tutor at the club, I will probably be running the course to get you licenced :thumbup: :D . Once again sorry if you have been put out by this, if you need anymore information please PM me here or e mail me.
73 de Den m0wow
chairman of Burnley and district amateur radio club

http://www.burnleyradioclub.co.uk/
Barnbilly

Post by Barnbilly »

Darkstar1 wrote:Brunlea, As chairman of Burnley radio club i must sincerely apologise if you got no response from the club admin via our website, I will chase this problem up and sort it. The club meets every Thursday night at Higham village hall at 7.30 pm, you are most welcome to come along and see us. We regularly run courses for both M6 and 2EO Licences, as a tutor at the club, I will probably be running the course to get you licenced :thumbup: :D . Once again sorry if you have been put out by this, if you need anymore information please PM me here or e mail me.

there you go Brunlea, seems a bit of a misunderstanding was had, enlighten you on getting licenced they will ;)
Dont worry what class of licence he holds, worry what class of bias he applies to the amplifier !
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Mattylad »

Result!!

Perhaps Darkstar can also comment on the RSGB listing the ELRC as being in Padiham? is that really old data?
Brunlea
Regular
Regular

Post by Brunlea »

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Very much appreciated.

Darkstar1, i'll send you a PM.
Roger Wilco
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Brunlea wrote:Thanks for all the replies everyone. Very much appreciated.

Just go along to the club, sending messages via the internet started this issue in the first place LOL
Brunlea
Regular
Regular

Post by Brunlea »

andymuza wrote:
Brunlea wrote:Thanks for all the replies everyone. Very much appreciated.

Just go along to the club, sending messages via the internet started this issue in the first place LOL
Well he did say to send him a PM :)

I will turn up now I know. I didn't like the idea of turning up to a radio club as I thought with it being a club, someone who isn't yet a member wouldn't be allowed in. And it wouldn't look good me watching through a window drooling at the radio equipment.
Roger Wilco