Failed Advanced Exam

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
MW0SWA
Call Sign: MW0SWA

Failed Advanced Exam

Post by MW0SWA »

I took the advanced exam paper on December 8th and was absolutely gutted to learn that I had failed.
And for all those of you that haven't taken the advanced exam, it is unlike the foundation and intermediate where you get told immediately after the exam wether you have passed or failed. I had to wait a week and half for the results to come back.
Turns out I was 4 questions away from passing.
Not bad for my first attempt and also I wasn't able to put much study in due to family commitments.

But now that those commitments are more or less sorted out I can now dedicate some serious study time and pass the exam in March.

Can I also take this opportunity to congratulate everyone here that has passed any radio exams this year and hope you all have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

73s
I am a bit crazy about the Realistic DX-394
Nagasaki
Regular
Regular

Re: Failed Advanced Exam

Post by Nagasaki »

Good luck with your next sitting.

I take it that its not a city and guilds exam any more?
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Unlucky bud. Try not to dwell on it just get your head back in the books and start again.

As for waiting 1.5 weeks, your lucky, when I sat the C&G RAE I had to wait over 3 months for the result.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Nagasaki wrote:Good luck with your next sitting.

I take it that its not a city and guilds exam any more?
Hasn't been the C&G exam for over ten years.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Nagasaki
Regular
Regular

Post by Nagasaki »

Showing my age :-)

Sat mine at glasgow nautical college,enrolled then didnt go back untill exam day and sat the c+g exams,remember waiting an age for the result(two passes with credit,broke my run of dist passes :-( ) but then i had 7 yrs in the industry behind me ..........
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

andymuza wrote: As for waiting 1.5 weeks, your lucky, when I sat the C&G RAE I had to wait over 3 months for the result.
Oh god yes the longest 2-3 months ever, I did my 12wpm morse test first and was told as soon as it ended i passed then did the C&G and had to wait all that time to find out i passed and then a further month or so for the license to come back.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

About three months here as well for the 2 part C+G then a day trip to Niton Radio for the morse test. Sounds like ancient history now :(
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
MW0SWA

Post by MW0SWA »

4 questions between me and a full license. It's enough to make you sick.
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

RedDragon wrote:4 questions between me and a full license. It's enough to make you sick.
Another reason your lucky, you got to know it was 4 questions, All us oldies got was a pass or fail.
Like I said, don't dwell om it.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:) I'm sorry that you did not pass on this occasion and I very much sympathise with the difficulties involved in juggling family work and study.
Personaly I did not find the material at all easy to get my head around but I was quite determined and I pushed myself by taking every spare moment to study. So as well as the very valuble tuition at our local club ...reading,reading and more reading! Also ...online quiz/mock tests I even read a copy of the original C&G RAE course book.Eventually my 'Advance' booklet looked quite dog eared through constant use!

:) My determination paid off though as somehow I scraped through . The waiting thing is awful and I also did not like that bit.My advice is not to be phased by this minor setback and just go after it again :thumbup: good luck best wishes Adrian
Allan666
Call Sign: G0CRB

Post by Allan666 »

When I did exams it was about 1981 time,A number of us went to the College/Tec in Leamington Spa.We went for a couple of hours on a Wednesday night,Then spent spare time studying on it.That was from September to Easter.Did the Exams and then 1 months later you got the results, I had my G6 call then spent next 12 months practicing CW,Passed that 1983 to get the G0...(Zero) !! Good memories....You stick at it and you will pass it ok the next time.
If the problen cant be sorted with a "LUMP-HAMMER" then its most likely to be an Electrical fault
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

such a shame, so near yet so far..!!
get back on it and good luck for next time..

if it was a foundation licence i'd be ripping in to you for failing that, but going for the full i can only commiserate..

ah the old C&G days, 6 months at college, 20 minutes in the exam to finish first (either i was that good or the others were that crap) which worried me as i thought i'd rushed it..!!
then the wait to know if you'd passed, then the wait for the callsign..

i suppose the digital age has made the process quicker..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
FAFFER

Post by FAFFER »

Don't worry about it! The advanced is bloody difficult! :)
Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Are there any example tests online?

I have tried the US ones on QRZ.

It will be like sitting my driving test again, probably fail that now too :)
MW0SWA

Post by MW0SWA »

Thanks for all your good luck wishes guys.

My resit exam is booked for 7th March. I will nail it next time.