Ham Tests-a quick question

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Funners
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26CT1469

Ham Tests-a quick question

Post by Funners »

Quick question for those who have recently passed their exams,
How accurate are Ham tests mock examinations on line ? ie are they actually representative of the exam you took?
cheers
26CT1469
26TM1469
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Re: Ham Tests-a quick question

Post by ChrisCSL »

I assume that you are planting your best foot on the first rung, and mean the foundation.

I looked a few weeks ago, and yes ... the example questions are pretty representative of the questions that you will be asked.

Stick with 'official' examples ... like from the RSGB itself. Who do you think wrote the exam ... Ofcom?

They may not be the same actual questions, but they will be from the same syllabus. In other words, if you have studied the syllabus, then you will never be asked a question that you cannot possibly know the answer to. Because it will not be in the syllabus.

Good luck, and fortune favours the brave. ;)
Funners
Regular
Regular

Post by Funners »

:thumbup: Thank you, thats what I wanted to know
cheers
26CT1469
26TM1469
M6UCW
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0UCW
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UB7 Greater London)

Post by M6UCW »

Ham tests is recommended by most clubs. I did a lot for my foundation and intermediate course and found I got around the same mark for my exam as I did in ham tests. It's good practise and does highlight areas of weakness as well as working to the time except in the exam you need to fill in an optical marking sheet so leave 15 minutes for that
Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 16/07/14
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Post by radiogaga »

I would recommend http://www.g0mwt.org.uk/training/ and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amateur-Radio-E ... 1905086482
over ham tests. They are OK questions in Ham Tests but the pool of Q's is small.
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
cmn
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2M0FFY

Post by cmn »

I'd go so far as to say mine was a bit easier, maybe I just got lucky. The practice tests given to us had a few curveballs/trick questions in them, and I came across one or 2 on Hamtests, but the actual exam had none of that.

"Untidy cables can a) cause a trip hazard b) affect VSWR c) cause a bad impression d) make it difficult to find the correct cable"... yeah, ****, er, at least 2 of those are definitely correct...

All the answers, /all/ of them, are in "Foundation Licence Now!" somewhere. The rest are common sense.
2M0FFY || 108TM801
Funners
Regular
Regular

Post by Funners »

:) cheers everyone, much appreciated, I'd already bought a few books, FL Now and Exam Secrets etc, and have little issues with study, what concerned me was some of the questions on Hamtests appear to be VERY simplistic, but I suppose there is only so many non technical questions you can ask on a subject.
thanks again
26CT1469
26TM1469