I graduated!

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
cmn
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2M0FFY

I graduated!

Post by cmn »

...needless to say the days of freebanding are now behind me (it was something to do with my 5555 while I waited... and waited... and waited to be able to do the Foundation).

As fate should have it I snapped the antenna (+port) off my B5 the same day I passed. OOPS. Ah well, one of the guys who passed with me offered me a 5RA for peanuts so I think I'll fix up the B5 and donate it to a newbie :)
2M0FFY || 108TM801
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: I graduated!

Post by 108EH002 »

Plenty good dx on 10M at present.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

you don;t have to turn your back on 11m. you know ;-)

Well done on the pass fella, keep going though, the FL is a stepping stone to the full one, so march-on and get the rest done :-D
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Well done on the pass, 11 is in your blood though and you will be back ;)
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
skiptalker

Post by skiptalker »

congrats lad :) well done
68 TM 010
OP: KIERAN
IC 7000 / IC 706 MK2G /F510 / UV5R / LDG IT100/ WOUXUN 920
UBC 800XLT / 230XLT
A99 /IMAX 2000/ WILSON 1000/ X30 / X50 / G5RV

CookieRaider
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: M0RMO

Post by CookieRaider »

Well done on the pass but your quite within your rights to get a Grant/Lincoln etc and use that on the mids for a bit of SSB, i still get a buzz with the Grant :D
Winner of the coveted 'In Before The Lock' competition 07 Jan 2013
Winner of the coveted 'In Before The Lock' competition 24 June 2013
inaugural champion of the coveted "Putting sex before trivial internet games" award November 2013
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Congratulations on passing your exam. :clap:
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

CookieRaider wrote:Well done on the pass but your quite within your rights to get a Grant/Lincoln etc and use that on the mids for a bit of SSB, i still get a buzz with the Grant :D
Maybe a Grant 2 Cookieraider what Lincoln is legal ? Maybe cmn want's to be 100% legal now.If you sat your test with Campbell and Bob's club there are still a few who use CB aswell as amateur cmn local to you ;)
Last edited by 108EH002 on 26 Nov 2014, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

27.555 Usb
CookieRaider
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by CookieRaider »

Firstly your grasp of the English language is at best poor, secondly i think you will find that the Lincoln II is in fact legal as he now holds a UK amateur radio licence. Not sure what the "Campbell and Bob's " comment is all about but im sure it was meant to be a derogatory comment aimed at yet another licence holder, for your information my roots are from CB and often found on the newly legalised modes on the 'mid block' with type approved equipment.

Whether he want's to be legal or not is/has nothing to do with me i merely offered an opinion and suggestion, i can only assume you have had a few sherberts tonight and that is the reason for you previous post.

Once again cmn well done on the pass :D
inaugural champion of the coveted "Putting sex before trivial internet games" award November 2013
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

;) Well done on the pass. I look forward to meeting you on the air .My advice is to go for the intermediate whilst its still fresh in your mind(if you wish too)

:) Sadly I don't have a lot of time for the hobby at the moment but its getting better and I hope to at least work a few exotic locations before these conditions die down.

welcome to ham radio :thumbup:
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

CookieRaider wrote:Firstly your grasp of the English language is at best poor, secondly i think you will find that the Lincoln II is in fact legal as he now holds a UK amateur radio licence. Not sure what the "Campbell and Bob's " comment is all about but im sure it was meant to be a derogatory comment aimed at yet another licence holder, for your information my roots are from CB and often found on the newly legalised modes on the 'mid block' with type approved equipment.

Whether he want's to be legal or not is/has nothing to do with me i merely offered an opinion and suggestion, i can only assume you have had a few sherberts tonight and that is the reason for you previous post.

Once again cmn well done on the pass :D
Lincoln 2 is an amateur radio and is not type approved to use on the "mid's" unless he only listen's.
I never tried to bring anyone down as for you being sure Campbell and Bob's was a poor attempt at taking the p1ss out of an amateur it was not as they are 2 men at the local amateur club who help people through the courses.
I do not drink.

27.555 Usb
CookieRaider
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by CookieRaider »

I may stand corrected then regarding the Lincoln II if it can't be set up for UK legal CB use and for that i apologise, as for the rest i stand by it, your giving CB ops a bad name and iv'e got no time for you, not all licensed users have a chip on their shoulders regarding CB radio, you have gone out of you way over the last few weeks to alienate people and start petty arguments, feel free to check my profile and see the last time i logged in but you will be wasting you time, ive given up on the argument feel free to knock yourself out thinking you are numero uno, i have far better things to do than argue on a internet forum.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

Yes well done on the pass fella :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The debate regarding various President radios is the Grant II ASC is the legal one for the CEPT band that anyone can use. :D
Where the Lincoln II ASC is legal for any Amateur Radio Operators to use on the 10 meter Ham band ( with their current power restrictions regarding licence class).
But not legal for anyone to use on the CB Radio/11 meter band (Amateurs included).........not that that will stop anybody. :ugeek:
The main issue regarding the use on the legal Mids SSB is the output power and the unit is only type approved for Amateur Radio use.
I hope this helps clear this up .

I personally think the latest Foundation licence holders are very lucky to gain 10 meters at all as 12 years ago when the M3 was introduced it was out of bounds to them for whatever reason the RA decided back then (too near 11 meters is my opinion).

Sorry for going off on a tangent and back to the thread........a big well done on the pass :clap:
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Stand by what you think to be correct Cookieraider it is up to you,but the 2 men in the local club are called Campbell and Bob and I do not drink.As for going out my way to start argument's and cause hassle on TM1 I have not received any pm saying I am doing anything wrong.If I was that against amateur radio which I am not as 3 of my mates are amateur,why would I be saying well done/all the best with the test/enjoy the hobby to people who have passed/looking to pass the foundation and have a link to youtube that just happen's to be Marconi,you have made your mind up and you are entitled to think what you want.As for my English being p1sh I agree as I am Scottish and never listened in English at school.Sorry for spoiling this topic cmn it was never my intention to do so.

27.555 Usb
cmn
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2M0FFY

Post by cmn »

Whoah, what happened? :)

Campbell MM0DXC and Bob GM4UYZ are the instructors at C0ckenzie/Port Seton ARC, and yes 108EH002, I did take it with them, it sucks Lothians ARC don't run courses as they literally meet walking distance from me. From what Bob has said to me, though, they're a bit of an "old boys' club" who sit around on 80 not ID'ing and generally being **** on the air. No idea how true that is.

Her indoors has insisted I leave it a bit before going for the Intermediate (time & money), and since I am a big fan of my nuts being where they are, I'll leave it for a little while, I think. My aim is to be Full licenced by early-2016 at the absolute latest. I'd like to get some experience on the air anyway before going forward.

I do indeed wish to stay fully legal and as such if (probably more like when) I return to 10/11 I'll be getting a separate radio for it. Just shopping around for a decent HF rig at the moment & I've got a Softrock RXTX on the way (prebuilt, of course, to stay within licence conditions) for playing with two way SDR & I'm basically swimming in U/V HT's (three B**f**gs & soon, a Yaesu VX8R).

I think it's probably worth pointing out that I've been building pirate transmitters of various descriptions since I was 8 years old - 20 years ago - so to finally be legal is a massive step for me, and probably no surprise I'm averaging 45-50 correct on the M0 exam. It's likely I'll do the Intermediate and Full together.

Now just need to convince the council to let me put a Moxon on the roof of the highrise in which I live... :p
Last edited by cmn on 26 Nov 2014, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
2M0FFY || 108TM801