Local club visit.

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Local club visit.

Post by Kaos »

Now that I have a bit more time on my hands I went down (or rather up the hill) to the local Amateur Radio club here to see about gaining my E class.

I was not sure on what to expect so I went through the doors (its in an ISO container) and was gobsmaked.

Stations for each band (give or take) but none of these were switched on, instead they where all sat at the mini bar supping beer and having a laugh. It was scene from a cowboy film......silence at the newcomer.

Anyways a few beers later and a shout out on 2m with 650w into a 2 x 4 stacked array (19 elements) a fair few contacts were made.

The only downside is that the E class with its 100w (on some segments on HF) is that I will be restricted to 10m, 15m 80m and some of 160m and all the way up to 3cm.

I suppose this is the dangle of the carrot to further the hobby and go for the A Class giving all bands (HF) with 750w PEP.

There is a 2m contest this weekend and they have booked me for a few hours to work the UK stns as English is not there 1st language. They often get G4LIP on the cliffs in dover and more. Straight line thats about 600klms

The test here is also multiple choice but I will have travel 200klms to do the test but thats the way over here. Its more stricter (with house visits) here and even the blokes were commenting on the UK way of licensing.

If I wanted to work 6m for example I would have to inform the licensing board and give them a tele number so that if interference is caused the station must stop transmitting. 6m is used by the forces here.

I just need to get my head round the tech stuff as its not in English.

Anyways the bar is dead cheap so I assume thats all that matters. The blokes are decent too.
MW0SWA
Call Sign: MW0SWA

Re: Local club visit.

Post by MW0SWA »

What's an E class license? I take it for granted that everyone lives in the UK on here.
Which im guessing you live somewhere else!
I am a bit crazy about the Realistic DX-394
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

RedDragon wrote:What's an E class license? I take it for granted that everyone lives in the UK on here.
Ex forces made redundant retired in Germany.

Thought the QRZ below gives my country.
MW0SWA
Call Sign: MW0SWA

Post by MW0SWA »

Kaos wrote:
RedDragon wrote:What's an E class license? I take it for granted that everyone lives in the UK on here.
Ex forces made redundant retired in Germany.

Thought the QRZ below gives my country.
apologies mate,
i like your youtube link
I am a bit crazy about the Realistic DX-394