Re-Validation of now expired licences.

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Buick Mackane

Re: Re-Validation of now expired licences.

Post by Buick Mackane »

Admiral wrote:Ah, I thought this was the TV licence thread.
Well seeing as your over 75 you'll get that for free ;)
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

And no exam! :thumbup:
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

With the changes OFCOM have made, I am sure that there will be some that do not get notification because they moved years ago etc.
So I winder if the press could\would get involved?

They are always after articles for little news days, so one where thousands of hams lost their license may let some know & kick them into contacting OFCOM.

??
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

No one will lose their licence, the worst case scenario is a ham with an unvalidated licence will be yacking away and get a visit (which will never happen in the real world), the situation will be explained, he/she will then log on and validate, sorted.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

apparently... If you loose your M3/M6 ticket due to not registering it you just buy a pack of cornflakes?
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Yeah Admiral is right... Ofcom always take an approach of helping offenders to become compliant when they can. Hard enforcement action, such as prosecutions, is pretty much reserved for persistent offenders or UBR and other cases of deliberate interference.

They are good guys really. I deal with them regularly in a non radio related field.

Besides, anyone who does "lose" their licence can always take out a new one online in about 5 minutes flat. It's not like their exam pass becomes invalid.....

Would be nice to catch some of the anti-M3 old guard operating unlicensed though, so personally I think we should keep quiet about this! :lol:
kingfisher
Regular
Regular

Post by kingfisher »

I would make sure that you validate your licences and don't let them lapse. My wife let hers lapse for just over 11 years and not only have I seen her callsign up for grabs on a freedom of information request. I was informed by Ofcom that she would probably have to pick another callsign. However she was only an M3. I don't think this happens to intermediate and full license classes.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

It's not your wife's callsign mind, it was only ever assigned to her radio station on a temporary basis. The ability to search for currently unassigned callsigns and take your pick is a fairly recent invention in itself. Not so long ago they were picked for you and you had no say in what you got!

I get what you're saying though, would be nippy if you had a ton of QSL cards printed up with your call and then you lost it. Worse if you have to get a new baseball cap screen printed and a new rugby shirt embroidered! :P
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

kr0ne wrote:It's not your wife's callsign mind, it was only ever assigned to her radio station on a temporary basis. The ability to search for currently unassigned callsigns and take your pick is a fairly recent invention in itself. Not so long ago they were picked for you and you had no say in what you got!
I get what you're saying though, would be nippy if you had a ton of QSL cards printed up with your call and then you lost it. Worse if you have to get a new baseball cap screen printed and a new rugby shirt embroidered! :P
Very true, in fact old pre-issued callsigns were never re-issued in the past, even if left lapse, unless someone specificaly asked for it on a close relative type cherished callsign application, obvioulsy at correct level for callsign.
I guess these days, they are seeing it as a way of "heading off" the next invented series of numbers.
Wonder if much older, no longer used callsigns, will be re-allocated to folks of suitable level, ad-hoc on application, might be the next thing?
Who knows, I know I have an old class B callsign that was left behind after the, necessary at the time, morse was passed, and has never been re-kindled for any reason, if someone wants it, they are welcome, one callsign is more than enough for me! ;)
insideman
Regular
Regular

Post by insideman »

Ofcom have finally given up on the non validators. The first batch of revoked call signs are on their database.

If you or your friend are affected,then it is £20 and an application form. Do not appeal, they will just say we informed you a number of times.

A lot of M3's are on the list. How many people went so far and then lost interest?
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
VintageTin
Call Sign: 26TM516

Post by VintageTin »

Strange that the list is so random. Do they not know about Alpha/numerical order?
Malcolm
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Rich pickings for pirates, might adopt a couple myself, M3SAS would sound cool on 2m.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

VintageTin wrote:Strange that the list is so random. Do they not know about Alpha/numerical order?
Yeah I thought that. They are probably listed in the order they were revoke'd in.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

I dare say some of the M3 and 2E calls have upgraded hence why they haven't been revalidated.
Some of the older calls are probably SK.