Re-Validation of now expired licences.

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re-Validation of now expired licences.

Post by GeeFull »

Just a friendly reminder, prompted by a recent thread elsewhere, where a station was asking how or if he needed to revalidate his licence as he had "forgotten" how long he had had it! :D
There are currently, despite several anouncements on various forums, and on the RSGB website, within Radcom, as well as Ofcoms site itself,
significant amounts of licences that have technicaly "expired" having gone well past their 5 year "sell by date"!
I am sure there must be many happily "CQing" away, oblivious to the fact they are in law, and technicaly, "unlicenced"! ;)
Of course some could have gone SK, or progressed, and no longer wish to continue earlier ones etc., but I am sure that there must be many that have simply "forgotten".
Might be worth a sort through all those old scraps of paper, shack drawers, and such,to dig out the old "log in details" for the Ofcom licensing and re-validation site, and get yourself a new "5 year stamp of approval" :D
Lumiya

Re: Re-Validation of now expired licences.

Post by Lumiya »

Every time a thread like this pops up I simply revalidate, it doesn't matter that it's not due and you can revalidate every day if you wanted to as the validation lasts for 5 years from your last validation.
CB since '85
AR since '91
Ex-RAF

If you get just a YES or NO answer it will mean either you should already know the answer or you have proved yourself incapable of understanding the answer. Also if you think I need to explain what I type then perhaps you should realise your own limitations
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

A thread over HEREwith some detail for those who have lost access to the online facility.
Can't help but love an Adams.

Sprogger
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Sprogger »

A quick bit of reassurance. Your licence doesn't become somehow 'invalid' nor do you become illegal by not revalidatng. You DO, however, gove Ofcom a reason to revoke the licence (for not revalidating), if they chose to do so. Also, up-to-date licence details means that Ofcom's job of manging the spectrum is easier and other Amateurs know where stations are (hold on; I'm starting to sound like a regulator; that won't do at all). So, you're tecnically in breach of your licence by not revalidating but you are legal to operate until or unless the licence is actually revoked by Ofcom or you surrender it.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Hmmmmmm..............

I remember calling up and asking about this when I was first licensed... I can't remember exactly what I was told now but one thing that stuck in my head was that the person I spoke to mentioned something about licenses that had not been validated for five years or longer being automatically revoked every so often. I took this to mean that they would revoke batches of un-validated licenses periodically, although I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

There were no five year old lifetime licenses back then either, so I guess it may not have been clear to everyone internally at Ofcom what would happen moving forward.

Has anybody enquired recently or know for sure by any other means?

The guidance notes, located here state:
There is no end date on the "lifetime" amateur radio licence but Ofcom will revoke the licence unless the licence is either amended or validated at least once every 5 years.
Which would suggest that the license will be revoked (and hence no longer valid) if the details are not validated for a period of five years.
EMarkM
Call Sign: M0RZY

Post by EMarkM »

Being more than usually cautious about this sort of thing, I simply have a reminder on my mobile phone to do all mine every year.
26TM513 “Munch Man”
M0RZY

PMR: Cobra Microtalk MT700
CB: Intek H-520 Plus, Thunderpole T-800
2m/70cm: Kenwood TM-V71E, Yaesu FT-7900R, Intek KT-930EE
HF/6m: Icom IC-7200, Yaesu FT-817ND
Scanning: Uniden UBC3500XLT
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

southgatearc.org wrote:
It is understood about 10,000 amateur radio licences will be in the first batch set to be revoked by Ofcom

Prior to the introduction of the lifetime licence in December 2006 licences had expired if not renewed annually. After 2006 Ofcom were still able to cancel lifetime licences if requested by the holder but it appears a process was not in-place to enable them to revoke an amateur licence.

If Ofcom wishes to revoke a wireless telegraphy licence, it must follow these steps:
• notify the licensee of the reasons for which it proposes to revoke the licence;
• specify a period in which the licensee may make representations;
• decide whether or not to revoke the licence within one month of the end of that period; and
• notify the holder of its decision within a week of making it.

The first batch to be revoked will comprise Amateur Radio Licences which were due to be revalidated between September 2012 and January 2013, both months being inclusive. Ofcom will be using the last known postal address held on file for correspondence with the holder.
10k in the first round - it is like I said, I think the number of active hams is a lot less than the RSGB think.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

My mate revalidated his licence last year(M3) for the first time since 2003 and they did it no problem!
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Mine was expired for about a year. I was inactive and totally forgot to revalidate. I actually got an email from Ofcom reminding me that I hadn't re-validated which just so happened to coincide with me getting back on the air.

I re-validated with no issues.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

EMarkM wrote:I simply have a reminder on my mobile phone to do all mine every year.
That's not REAL radio... fnar, fnar... :)
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I get my butler to validate mine for me.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

Licence stats Oct 2016

Foundation Radio Licence 20585
Intermediate Radio Licence 8723
Full Radio Licence 52019
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

thedeerhunter270 wrote:Licence stats Oct 2016

Foundation Radio Licence 20585
Intermediate Radio Licence 8723
Full Radio Licence 52019
2016?
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Admiral wrote:I get my butler to validate mine for me.
Thought you didn't have a licence me auld mucker?
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Ah, I thought this was the TV licence thread.