APRS and OFCOM

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
2e0psx

APRS and OFCOM

Post by 2e0psx »

Hi all,

Below I copy for your information a copy of and email I sent to OFCOM for clarification:

Date: 22/01/2014 14:18:15
To: [email protected]
Subject: Clarification of amateur licence and APRS

Dear Sir,

There appears to be some confusion regarding the unattended use of radio equipment with regards to APRS.

The matter is somewhat clouded when you visit the internet with many conflicting views and opinions including those from the RSGB ETCC.

The general consensus from reading the Amateur Terms from Section 10(1) copied below, is that this form of operation is permissible.

10 Unattended and remote control operation

10(1) The Licensee may conduct Unattended Operation of Radio Equipment provided that any such operation is consistent with the terms of this Licence.

I do acknowledge that the appropriate NOV would be required if the intention was to "port" data from the internet to the radio, as this clearly is not covered by the terms.

The relaying of information from "on air" to the internet does not appear to be in contravention of the terms in that, any member of the public with a suitable receiver and Internet connection could feasibly carryout that method and not require any licence.

Where I would appreciate your clarification is:

Is a correctly licensed amateur station permitted to relay "aka digipeat" information heard "on air" with regards to APRS (144.800Mhz) and retransmit the same when unattended.

I would be pleased to receive your duly considered interpretation.

Kindest regards,

Mr Simpson
NiCdeth

Re: APRS and OFCOM

Post by NiCdeth »

Have you heard anything back yet? I'd be interested to find out about this too.
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Post by GW0DIV »

What is the fascination of APRS? Surely packet was more fun when you actually had conversations on it? What is the interest in telling everyone where you are? My phone will do that without tying up amateur bandwidth.
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
2e0psx

Post by 2e0psx »

Well after a wait here is the response from OFCOM

Date: 7 February 2014 09:47:55 GMT
Subject: RE: Clarification of amateur licence and APRS

Dear Mr Simpson,

Firstly, please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your email.

After seeking guidance from the relevant department we can now advise you on this matter.

An unattended station is subject in particular to clause 10 of the Amateur Licence as mentioned in your email. However, clause 10(1) says that you can operate unattended if you comply with the other Terms and Conditions. This must include clause 14 “Recorded or retransmitted Messages”, this says that an Amateur can retransmit a message if it is addressed to the licensee and if they are for onward transmission to a specified amateur.
It is the Licensee’s responsibility to decide if what they are doing complies with the above.

Therefore, unattended use would be permitted ensuring it complies with all other terms of the licence, and you are able to show what you are doing fits these requirements. Please be aware that it is not for Ofcom to interpret your terms and conditions, we would advise you seek legal advice if you require further assistance.

I hope this information helps, should you have any further queries please contact us.

Kind regards

Emily Munroe
Licensing Officer
Spectrum Licensing
Spectrum Operations
2e0psx

Post by 2e0psx »

So having got my reply from OFCOM looks like they are as helpful as the RSGB. Does that mean they wouldn't know where you "may" have breached your licence terms either if they intended to prosecute ??
NiCdeth

Post by NiCdeth »

Who knows‽ I think what they mean is you can retransmit messages to you, as long as the original message is addressed to you.

You CAN set up an RF digipeater on APRS if clause 10(I) applies to your class of licence. This can be done by setting the UNPROTO string. This will ONLY repeat packets set to go through you, so messages will be addressed to you AS WELL as the intended endpoint station. Something like:

<recepient callsign> VIA 2E0PSX WIDE3-3

will address messages to both you and the intended station. Your station can be set to digipeat this unproto string, and only messages set like that. so no generic repeating, as the rebro'd message is kinda addressed to you as well. I've used a system like this before and 0fcom were fine with it.

hope this helps!
phillmobile
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by phillmobile »

it is not for Ofcom to interpret your terms and conditions
?

who is it for to interpret them?
phillmobile
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by phillmobile »

As far as i understand its legal to do it until you get caught

And if ofcom dont understand or go by the terms and conditions and indeed if they themselves had to seek clarification who would know if you was breaking said rules or not.
M0RFU

Post by M0RFU »

Bit late on this one but the "Please be aware that it is not for Ofcom to interpret your terms and conditions, we would advise you seek legal advice if you require further assistance." is a standard line they put on every email I have had from them. Realistically it would be up to the Court to interpret them if OFCOM (or someone else) decided to take you there.
My web site jonbyrne.com
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

That's a standard cop out to many organizations. If you give legal advice, even informally to a mate down the pub, your liabl if that advice is faulty. In order to cover ones arse only a qualified solicitor should Gove legal advice, and cos of the risk lawyers charge hundreds and hour to offset any claims made at any them.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
phillmobile
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by phillmobile »

Best thing to do would be to tell ofcom that you will set something up but promise not to have any fun !
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Post by GW0DIV »

So APRS just uses normal TAPR 1200 baud packet like we did in the 80's? Relaying massages is part of the TAPR protocol, so the via command is totally legal, this was agreed in the 80's! If your station is on it will digipeat. If you are going to leave your station on then you need to be able to shut it down remotely and stop any unlicensed access. If you want a proper digipeater with it's own callsign you need an NOV with shut down operators and remote shut down.

I think there's some attempting to reinvent the wheel here!!

Still not sure why anyone wants to do APRS though??
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group