Going for Intermediate

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
lukemc1980
Regular
Regular

Going for Intermediate

Post by lukemc1980 »

Hi,

I passed my Foundation exam in February - at the Widnes and Runcorn ARC - callsign M6LKM and I have being enjoying being on the air very much so I am now seriously considering doing my Intermediate as soon as possible. I have been on Hamtests and now consistently get between 90-100% so it looking like I should have no problems passing the exam. I have however got a few questions about the practicals - I know you have to built something (e.g. from a kit). Just asking how difficult/easy this is as I don't have much experience of building things/homebrew so will they support me on this and also I am slightly dyspraxic (meaning that my fine motor coordination is not that great) so will they give me support on the soldering side of the practicals etc? From what I have heard the radio clubs are very supportive of people with such issues including white stick operators etc. but I am just asking what your experience is? I am also considering doing my Intermediate at the Wirral ARC as they might have a course that could be more convenient for me to attend.

Luke

M6LKM
Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Going for Intermediate

Post by Monsta »

you'll be fine Luke ...as long as your trying that's what matters.

if you have problems building little stuff ...just make it a little bigger than usual.
...i knew a guy with a twitch that built a SWR meter out of a Microwave oven and a set of kitchen scales.
Awesome!
10/11: Anytone AT-5555, President Lincoln - Astatic Audio
HF: Kenwood TS2000 ,Kenwood G707, Heil Goldline,
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Monsta »

I am not saying the morse osc isn't valid ...I think we have all built one ....but you POSSIBLE never use it.
Why not build something you can use! ....here is one of mine.
It is a surge protector that can protect up to 3 feeds (from over-voltage) from PSU ....although my prototype only does one (see pic)....It is easier than you think to build and you WILL use it

all encased in a handy maplins box with its printed label
10/11: Anytone AT-5555, President Lincoln - Astatic Audio
HF: Kenwood TS2000 ,Kenwood G707, Heil Goldline,
jamesycotter
New User
New User
Call Sign: 108fb141

Post by jamesycotter »

just study with the book and u will be fine i just passed mine last Friday wating on new call now looking forward then might try full so it a but harder o got told so just fingers crossed

all the best jamesy
all the best 73s from sunny Scotland
lukemc1980
Regular
Regular

Post by lukemc1980 »

Hi,

Just letting you know that I passed my Intermediate today - I got 43/45 on the exam and I did not find the practical exercises as difficult as expected - I found it very enjoyable did it at the Northwich club again with Dave Wilson - just a wait now for my new callsign as the result has to be verified by the RSGB I am keen to go all the way for the Full/Advanced is it worth it I think it should be.

Luke M6LKM
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Well done. Started mine 2 years ago but never finished the course as I went down with a nasty respiratory infection.. Went for it again last year but went down with vertigo, couldn't drive for 2 months. I'm a bit frightened to try again in case I catch Ebola or something.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016