Callsign usage on holiday

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Callsign usage on holiday

Post by Tigersaw »

I have a full license with a G6 prefix
The license is ambiguous as to what I use when I'm on holiday in Wales,

do I use GW6 (although thats perhaps If I were to permanently live there)
or suffix it with /A (alternate address) or /T (temporary address)
or no change at all?
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Callsign usage on holiday

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

I'm pretty sure as soon as you cross the border you become GW6. Although, this may change in the future I've read.
Last edited by thedeerhunter270 on 23 Oct 2013, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Post by radiogaga »

GW6 Defo!
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

You use the secondary regional prefix W/M/T/J/G depending where you are, couldn't be easier.
When in Wales, add the W.
Martinedwards
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Martinedwards »

Yup, add the W.

best to add aliases to QRZ.com and the like, and the QSL bureau if you use it
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Post by GW0DIV »

The licence is unambiguous, look at paragraph 2 (2) of your licence, it hasn't changed in over 30 years!!
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

Clause 2(2) of our Licence Schedule states that we “shall modify our call sign prefix with an alternative or secondary prefix letter…”. This identifies the UK Nation in which the station is located. The exceptions are licence variations that allow the use of special short-term prefix letters that are not geographically related, e.g. the recent GV prefix. Ofcom has recently interpreted clause 2(2) as applicable only to the fixed or home station operation. However, Ofcom is aware that standard practice has, for many years, been to change this prefix when applied to alternative, temporary and mobile operations.

An example of this would be where say G4*** operates as a portable station from Wales he or she uses the call sign GW4***/P. For a holder of an Intermediate Licence the practice is for 2E0*** to operate as 2W0***/P. Similarly practice is followed by Foundation Licence holders. Ofcom consider that its intent in the wording of the current licence is that the call sign in these circumstances should be G4***/P , 2E0***/P, etc, as the fixed or home station address is unchanged. If Ofcom needs to contact the station concerned it would write to the licensee at that address. Likewise Ofcom considers that it would expect to see GM4*** operate mobile from the Isle of Man as GM4***/M; a similar suffix addition would apply for Intermediate and Foundation Licence holders.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
Martinedwards
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Martinedwards »

thedeerhunter270 wrote: Likewise Ofcom considers that it would expect to see GM4*** operate mobile from the Isle of Man as GM4***/M; a similar suffix addition would apply for Intermediate and Foundation Licence holders.
eh?

MD4***/M shurely?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

The 2E0 is weird.

When I did mine at least, Ofcom would only record a 2E0 prefix on intermediate licenses.

I live in Scotland, so my intermediate license is 2M0, but my license says 2E0...

Both my foundation and my full licenses show the correct MM3 and MM0 prefixes however.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

I dont bother even using my GW7 call when im visitin my current partner in North Wales.... Two stations signing GW on a Welsh repeater recently..both talking in English...the sec i use my callsign they both start gibbering in Welsh n ignore me....w@nkers!

Jus not worth the hassle.....
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Post by GW0DIV »

There have been problems with Scottish stations being issued with English call signs for years, some people in the training hierarchy even seem to belive all licences have English call signs printed on them and the regional identifier is added by the licencee. When I operate a remote station in California via Remoteham I use W6/GW0DIV as a reciprocal call, because GW0DIV is the call on my licence, the same thing applies to /MM operation.
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
Martinedwards
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Martinedwards »

My LICENCE has M0OIM, my 60m NOV has mi0oim

both have my MI address
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

There is definitely little consistency...

As already mentioned, both my M3 and M0 have MM3 and MM0 printed on the license, it is just the 2M0 that has 2E0.

I remember applying for it as everyone I did the course with had the same issue.

Perhaps it is noting more than a bug in the web app on the Ofcom site that allows you to search for a free call sign. As I recall the problem was that no matter what you entered, if it began with 2M0 then it came back as unavailable.

Banging in exactly the same call with a 2E0 prefix would, assuming that call was not already assigned, come back as available and you could then proceed to apply for it.

No such problems with the M3/M0 though...