What did you build for your Intermediate Assesment

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
MW0SWA
Call Sign: MW0SWA

What did you build for your Intermediate Assesment

Post by MW0SWA »

OK i have held my foundation callsign for few months and have already got my head into the intermediate book, and frequently attending the weekly meeting at the local radio club where i do a little bit of intermediate study.
Im just interested to hear what you guys made for your practical asessment. Im going to attempt to build something from a kit, and try keep it as cheap as possible. I have built two FM radio kits from Maplin just to brush up on my soldiering, and im glad to say they are both in working order.

i will crack on with the home study for this intermediate in the mean time while i decide what im going to build.

i would like to hear from you, about how you found the intermediate course/exam and how you prepared and if you relied on home study or went to a radio club etc.
I am a bit crazy about the Realistic DX-394
grahamwilman01
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0CSU

Re: What did you build for your Intermediate Assesment

Post by grahamwilman01 »

I've just received my new 2E0 Callsign a week ago, which I built a pixie II 10m qrp cw transceiver click link http://tinyurl.com/c4tvjtr our course leader got all the components and circuit diagram which we built onto vero board (a Barsteward to work with) but I thoroughly enjoyed learning a new skill which I have carried over into the work I do (installing PA systems into churches, clubs etc) the Intermediate course went a long way into me being able to carry this skill over into my everyday work. I did really enjoy doing my intermediate Licence and will definately looking to be doing my Advanced when work allows.
Last edited by grahamwilman01 on 27 Mar 2013, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
pterodaktyl

Post by pterodaktyl »

We did a simple Morse oscillator kit for our Intermediate course. Basically they just want to see that you can identify components, put them in the right way round and solder without leaving dry joints or bridges. It doesn't have to be a complex circuit.

Have a talk with your course tutor at the club, you might find that one of the kits you've already built already qualifies for the assessment!

Tom
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

I can't remember but I do remember they had us tacking bits of wire to drawing pins stuck into a bit of board at one point, just to "give us some practice at soldering"...

Rather embarrassingly, as a seasoned solderererer in no need of practice, I burnt my finger on one of the bloody pins. :oops:

Who knew how long a drawing pin could hold the heat of an iron for?
FAFFER

Post by FAFFER »

A Kanga Sudden 2 40m receiver.
Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
MW0SWA
Call Sign: MW0SWA

Post by MW0SWA »

ok, thanks for the reply guys.

i think i am going to build a cheap morse oscillator. I will just have a search over the weekend on ebay or somewhere to buy the kit.

does anyone have any good links??
I am a bit crazy about the Realistic DX-394
eurag
New User
New User
Call Sign: 2E0HYM

Post by eurag »

try http://www.kent-engineers.com. They are in Germany but its a good kit for less than £20. I built this one for my exam.
Allan Mears
Sussex 4X4 response
SX098 2E0HYM