Using my UK licence in Japan

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Re: Using my UK licence in Japan

Post by GW0DIV »

APPLICATION PROCEDURES
FOR FOREIGN AMATEUR RADIO LICENSEES
TO ESTABLISH A STATION IN JAPAN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATIONS
Please submit the following documents with your application.
(1) Completed station information form JARL-96-04.
(2) Signed Letter of Authorization (JARL-04-09A) allowing JARL to submit the application on your behalf.
(3) A photocopy of your current amateur radio operator certificate.
(4) A photocopy of photograph page of your passport.
(5) An international money order for funds due, or a photocopy of bank transfer confirming that the appropriate funds have been transferred to JARL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUBMISSION
The application must be submitted at least 60 days prior to date you wish to start operation in Japan. Submit your application to:

Japan Amateur Radio League
International Section
1-14-5, Sugamo, Toshima-ku,
Tokyo 170-8073, JAPAN

TEL: +81-3-5395-3106
FAX: +81-3-3943-8282
mailto:[email protected]

LICENSING INFORMATION
(1) Those who have valid amateur qualification mentioned in Annex 1 are eligible to establish and operate an amateur station in Japan, regardless of their nationality.

(2) It is recommended you request a portable/mobile 50-watts station for use anywhere in Japan.

(3) A separate license for a fixed station is necessary if you wish to operate more than 50 watts in addition to a portable/mobile station. A fee is charged for each license.

(4) After the application is approved, your Japanese amateur radio license will be forwarded to the Japanese mailing address stated in item 6 of station information (JARL-96-04).

(5) You may use JARL's address for item 7 if you choose mobile/portable station, and you can receive your license at JARL's office in Tokyo by presenting your passport or any other kind of ID. In this case, please state 'HOLD MY LICENSE AT JARL' in item 6.

(6) Revised fees payable for station license, effective July 1, 2009, are: 50 watts or less, Yen 4,300 (mobile/portable); more than 50 watts but 200 watts or less, Yen 8,100 (fixed only)

(7) Payment can be made either by bank transfer to JARL's account or by International Money Order payable in yen to the Japan Amateur Radio League.

Our Bank Account Information

SWIFT Code: BOTKJPJT

Bank Name: The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd.
Branch Name: Komagome Branch (#061)
Address: 2-3-1 Komagome, Toshima-ku, Tokyo 170-0003

Account Name: JAPAN AMATEUR RADIO LEAGUE
Account Number: 9003391

Reason for remittance: Reciprocal license ( your call sign )

(8) Station licenses will be granted for a period of your authorized stay in Japan up to five years, and renewable at 3,050 Yen per application, but in any case not beyond the expiration date of your certificate. Five-year licenses are available for those who hold 'PERMISSION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE' (visa category 4-1-14) from Minister of Justice, Japan, but proof of this visa status must be provided with your application.

(9) Different application procedure is necessary if you plan to run more than 200 watts output. Applications using the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) specified form, all filled out in Japanese, must be made directly to the regional Bureau of Telecommunications (BT) in the call district in which you will set-up your station during your stay in Japan. After approval by BT, you must go through on-site inspection of your station by BT before being granted your license. This procedure may take more than three months. Please contact JARL (see item 2) beforehand for more details.

(10) If applicant's equipment has 'Technical Standard Certification Number*', please mention the number in your application form.

* Technical Standard Certification Number
The Japan Amateur Radio Development Association (JARD) is an organization authorized by the MIC to testify amateur radio equipment. To avoid radio interference and illegal operation caused by out-of-standard radio equipment, JARD makes technical inspection on the basis of 'Regulation for Technical Standard Certification on Specified Radio Equipment' and issues the certificate (Technical Standard Certification Number) on each equipment that it has successfully passed the inspection to prove that the equipment, thus inspected and passed, complies with the said technical standard.

You will receive a bill from the Ministry

As from April, 1993, a Radio User Fee System, effecting all radio stations, was introduced and henceforth a fee per license was imposed. Radio operators including radio amateurs receive their bills every year from the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) after the date of the issuing of licenses.
(Currently 300 yen per year per license.)

We, JARL, hope you will understand the circumstances, and would you please pay the fee at any post office in Japan.

F A Q

Does JARL accept credit card?

Sorry, we do not have the credit card facility as a payment option. You would need to make a wire transfer in Japanese yen from a bank that is a 'correspondent' bank with our bank.

Is there a way to operate without establishing my own station?

Yes, according to the Japanese guest operation rules, if you have valid amateur qualification mentioned in Annex 1, you are eligible to operate local amateur radio stations. For your information, major points of the system are:

(1) Guest operators must have valid amateur licenses.
(2) Guest operators must operate according to his/her own licensed qualification, as well as hosts' stations' scope of operation e.g. output power, bands and modes etc.
(3) Host (licensee) must be present during the guests' operation.
(4) Guest operators identify themselves with hosts' callsign followed by his/her own callsign or name.

Today I received my Japanese reciprocal licence.
Q1: On the lower part of the License it lists type of emission, frequency, and power. There are a total of 13 frequencies listed, from 1910 kHz to 435 MHz.

For example
3HA 14175 kHz 50W
Does this mean I am restricted to this one frequency, 14,175.000 kHz on the 20m band? Am I permitted to move up and down by several kHz, or across the whole band?

Also, on the UHF band:
3VA 435MHz 20W
This is a repeater frequency and not a simplex frequency. Am I permitted to operate on frequencies other than 435.0000 MHz

Q2: Also, I'm not clear on the code 3HA, 3HC, 3HD and 3VA. Could you please explain.

A1: You can operate anywhere in 14 MHz or 430 MHz band in accordance with the Japanese band plan.
The frequency listed on the license is called "designated frequency" and normally center frequency of a band.

A2: Those are simplified Japanese emission mode group designation as follows:

xHA includes:
A1A, A3C, A3E, D3C, F1B, F1D, F3C, F3F, G1B, G1D, H3E, J3E, J3F, R3E

xHC includes:
A1A, F1B, F1D, G1B, G1D

xHD includes:
A1A, A3C, A3E, D3C, F3C, F3F, H3E, J3E, J3F, R3E

xLA includes:
A1A, F1B, F1D, G1B, G1D

xMA includes:
A1A, F1B, F1D, G1B, G1D

xVA includes:
A1A, A2A, A2B, A2D, A3C, A3E, D3C, F1B, F1D, F1E, F2A, F2B, F2D, F3C, F3E, F3F, F7W, F8W, G1B, G1D, G1E, H3E, J3E, J3F, R3E

xSA includes:
A1A, A2A, A2B, A2D, A3C, A3E, A3F, A8W, C3F, C8W, D3C, D7D, F1B, F1D, F1E, F2A, F2B, F2D, F3C, F3E, F3F, F7D, F7W, F8W, G1B, G1D, G1E, G7D, H3E, J3E, J3F, R3E

Please note that JARL performs these services as a courtesy
to foreign amateurs and keeps none of the fees.

We certainly hope you will enjoy QSOs in Japan!!
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
Jon_D
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G4FUT

Re: Using my UK licence in Japan

Post by Jon_D »

Well, here are the QRGs for Japanese amateurs.:-
http://www.jarl.or.jp/English/6_Band_Pl ... 090330.pdf