Thinking of doing it again.

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
kaney65
Regular
Regular

Thinking of doing it again.

Post by kaney65 »

Back jn the distant past when i was 13 i took the RSGB exam with my dad he passed i failed we went on a course at a local ham society i always put my failure down to being a little thick however im now pretty sure it wasn't that as i ended up an locomotive engineering consultant i now think it was probably nerves coupled with youth i also was practicing for the Morse test but after i failed the first part the books and Morse generator went in the bin,they now seem to have brought the exam into the 21 century i think i may have another go.
Any info on the tests and structure of the new system would be great thanks for reading everyone regards.
PsiDOC
Call Sign: 163FKU

Re: Thinking of doing it again.

Post by PsiDOC »

Hi kaney65
Yes indeed the RSGB have updated the examination - much to the disgust of some may I add!
There's now 3 levels of licence.
Foundation - Exam is easy as pie to do. You can then use all bands with 10 watts max power.
Intermediate - a little harder exam. All bands 50 watts Max power
Advanced - Harder again but with a bit of study definately do-able. All Bands MAX Legal power for the band you are on.
All exams are multiple choice.
No morse exams any more. However when doing the foundation you will do a morse appreciation lesson.

To have a look at some mock exams go here: http://www.hamtests.co.uk/

Good luck with it all Hope to hear you on the air soon.

PsiDOC
*Proud owner of a Cornflake Packet Amateur License and registered instructor in the art of gaining said license*
Icom IC-756 Pro III
Yaesu FT100D.
President Washington
President Adams
Tait T2020 70mhz
Baofeng UV-5R 2m / 70cm
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:D Kaney my friend all you need to do is read the foundation licence now booklet published by the rsgb ......you will need a copy anyway for the test but basically the whole exam/test is based on the information in the booklet

:D I'm certain you will pass no bother go for it
kaney65
Regular
Regular

Post by kaney65 »

Thanks for the encouragement i am not sure how i actually did on the original RAE i believe i only missed by a little in passing but when you are young study hard then fail is a bit of a kick in the stones and i admit i found the Morse hard work and i think that's what really put me off having another go
After i was reading about the new exam system on the forum i got on the web to amazon and ordered the three books so i know what i will be doing at work this week.
Radio has been something i have always found interesting and now the kids have grown up and gone well apart from their love of my wallet i got a pick of shack sites 2 spare bedrooms and a nice shed.
Thanks again for the info watch this space for updates going to go for the first and intermediate asap and work towards the advanced once im on the air.

Regards Andy.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

Yes im thinking of moveing on done the M6 now thinking of doing the Intermediate licence ;) ;) ;) ;)
PsiDOC
Call Sign: 163FKU

Post by PsiDOC »

Ashtec with you technical knowledge just brush up on operating procedures and practices and you'll walk it. ;)

Psi
*Proud owner of a Cornflake Packet Amateur License and registered instructor in the art of gaining said license*
Icom IC-756 Pro III
Yaesu FT100D.
President Washington
President Adams
Tait T2020 70mhz
Baofeng UV-5R 2m / 70cm
kaney65
Regular
Regular

Post by kaney65 »

Update wow those at Amazon do not mess around the wife phoned me at work my books have landed so some quality reading gets me out of washing up and suffering her soaps thanks guys for the encouragement and yes i should be working.

Regards Andy
kaney65
Regular
Regular

Post by kaney65 »

Just a little update took the first step last night went to a nice club local to me very welcoming and joined so reading away ready to start course and get my foundation thanks everyone for the encouragement.
DuncanC
Regular
Regular

Post by DuncanC »

kaney65 wrote:Just a little update took the first step last night went to a nice club local to me very welcoming and joined so reading away ready to start course and get my foundation thanks everyone for the encouragement.
Well done in finding a local club and good luck with your "new" hobby :)

73 de G0UTY/Dunckx
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:D your welcome please let us know your callsign once you have passed
kaney65
Regular
Regular

Post by kaney65 »

Adriano9966 wrote::D your welcome please let us know your callsign once you have passed

No problem as soon as i pass il let you know,im thinking of getting the Yaesu Ft 897 D multi band radio as a starter as it covers everything as far as i can see and have read good reports and reviews any thoughts or opinions are gratefully received as im just looking at the moment don't really want to jump in spend the dosh without thinking first i also looked at the kenwood TS 2000 in a local ham shop which looks great but which performs best that's the question the Yaesu runs around 800 quid brand new and around 1600 for the kenwood so as i say input is gratefully received.
kaney65
Regular
Regular

Post by kaney65 »

DuncanC wrote:
kaney65 wrote:Just a little update took the first step last night went to a nice club local to me very welcoming and joined so reading away ready to start course and get my foundation thanks everyone for the encouragement.
Well done in finding a local club and good luck with your "new" hobby :)

73 de G0UTY/Dunckx
Thanks very much and welcome to the forum great bunch on here and a wealth of knowledge to tap into too.
I did the RAE a long time ago and failed but going to get it this time.

Regards Andy
moonstrikerII
Call Sign: tm1965

Post by moonstrikerII »

go for it! and good luck as i passed and i`ve got dyslexia. people were helpful at my club. west of scotland amateur radio club. :D
Wally

Post by Wally »

I passed my foundation yesterday. I finished the exam in less than 7 minutes, you get 45mins to do it in. I'm not boasting here, just saying it was a rather easy walk in the park. Soon as ofcom gets updated, I'll have my call sign. I'm thinking about doing the intermediate already, just because I really enjoyed what I was taught and since everything is still fresh in my mind, it will keep me busy :lol:

Good luck! :mrgreen:
2E0DVN
Icom F510 VHF
Motorola GP380 VHF & UHF
Uniden 3500XLT
Intek MT-5050 Modded
Jingtong JT-208
Motorola TLKR-T7 PMR446
Moonraker Scan King Royal Discone
Mag mount on a biscuit tin...
kaney65
Regular
Regular

Post by kaney65 »

Just a little update guys got it M6BRU is the new call next is the intermediate so i bought the book and going to get reading and do the course at my local club they are a great bunch full of knowledge radio folk are the best 73s everyone.

Andy