Question about the foundation licence

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
hdjmings1
Call Sign: M3YCM

Question about the foundation licence

Post by hdjmings1 »

Hi if i was an M3 could i use 11m band (27.555MHz) legal? Or would i have to do full licence? Was going to do M3 but keep hearing that if u not full licence they dont like to talk to u!
26-TM-1982
M3YCM

President Lincoln
RM KL400
siro HI-POWER 4000

“Those most hopelessly enslaved are those who falsely believe they are free” Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Cyclops

Re: Question about the foundation licence

Post by Cyclops »

This a trick question ?
The shack on a very rare good day http://www.m0gwr.co.uk
Our little team running a special event station http://www.om3kwt.net/gb0gcr/
M0RFU

Post by M0RFU »

Check out here

You will see on the 10m tab that the band starts at 28.000MHz Being a licence holder of any type gives you no extra privileges in the CB Band or anywhere else that is not allocated.

As for the grumpy old men who will not talk to you don't worry about it there are far more who will.
My web site jonbyrne.com
hdjmings1

Post by hdjmings1 »

Lol no not trick question lol ok thank you i will have a look at that link
26-TM-1982
M3YCM

President Lincoln
RM KL400
siro HI-POWER 4000

“Those most hopelessly enslaved are those who falsely believe they are free” Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

hdjmings1 wrote:Hi if i was an M3 could i use 11m band (27.555MHz) legal? Or would i have to do full licence? Was going to do M3 but keep hearing that if u not full licence they dont like to talk to u!
No. Operating on 27.555MHz is illegal. It's not within the amateur bands or the CB bands. You can't get ANY form of licence to operate on that frequency.

That's why people do it. Image
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

Guzzy wrote:
hdjmings1 wrote:Hi if i was an M3 could i use 11m band (27.555MHz) legal? Or would i have to do full licence? Was going to do M3 but keep hearing that if u not full licence they dont like to talk to u!
No. Operating on 27.555MHz is illegal. It's not within the amateur bands or the CB bands. You can't get ANY form of licence to operate on that frequency.

That's why people do it. Image
:lol: :lol: It's like putting your tongue on a 9 volt battery, you know you shouldn't do it, but you get a buzz when you do :lol:
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

There are indeed some people who don't want to talk to M3/6s, but there are literally hundreds of thousands that would, don't worry about the small things, the hobby is much bigger and better than any bad egg.
AndyWestcott
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0WAN

Post by AndyWestcott »

Agreed.
You may well encounter the odd miserable old sod, especially on 80m but just 'spin that dial'!

It seems that a few have got the hump over the new easy Foundation exam, whereas they had to sit a real test. Yes, it was quite difficult in the days before multiple guess came about and I have a lot of respect for anyone who had to sit that test. Remember, they also had to pass a Morse test at 12 words a minute to operate on the HF bands.

However, I think the correct view should be to welcome newcomers with open arms, as without such new blood the hobby would be dead in a few years. I generally don't answer CQ calls, but if I hear an M3 or especially an M6 I will make a point of answering as I was one not so very long ago.

As for where you are allowed to transmit, you will learn about this on the Foundation course. Yes, you are restricted to radio amateur allocations, but there are a heck of a lot of them ranging from just above medium wave right up to microwave frequencies so you won't be short of choice.

Do not transmit on 27.555 or thereabouts - this is very very naughty and just might get you in trouble if they catch you. :)
ChrisUK

Post by ChrisUK »

AndyWestcott wrote: Do not transmit on 27.555 or thereabouts - this is very very naughty and just might get you in trouble if they catch you. :)
NO NO NO......DO transmit on 27.555 and thereabouts.
11 mtrs is far more enjoyable than any Ham allocation and there is about 3 times more people on it and around 70% if not more are licensed HAMS.
From my experiance over the years, the only bands worth useing are 11 then 40 and then 45Mtrs.....oh and 2Mtrs for a bit of local chit chat.

All the rest are full of 2 many people with big antennas with big linears who want to be band police and must be heard and their word is final.
RADIOS: Kenwood TS-140S, President Lincoln, Kenwood TMD-700e.
AERIAL'S:Antron 99, Spitfire 3Ele, Diamond X510, Spinger(Red).
hdjmings1

Post by hdjmings1 »

ChrisUK wrote:
AndyWestcott wrote: Do not transmit on 27.555 or thereabouts - this is very very naughty and just might get you in trouble if they catch you. :)
NO NO NO......DO transmit on 27.555 and thereabouts.
11 mtrs is far more enjoyable than any Ham allocation and there is about 3 times more people on it and around 70% if not more are licensed HAMS.
From my experiance over the years, the only bands worth useing are 11 then 40 and then 45Mtrs.....oh and 2Mtrs for a bit of local chit chat.

All the rest are full of 2 many people with big antennas with big linears who want to be band police and must be heard and their word is final.

I do think you are right as most of the ham's where i live transmit on 27.555MHZ and they think no one is above them
26-TM-1982
M3YCM

President Lincoln
RM KL400
siro HI-POWER 4000

porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

northern35s wrote:
There are indeed some people who don't want to talk to M3/6s, but there are literally hundreds of thousands that would, don't worry about the small things, the hobby is much bigger and better than any bad egg.
very true 8)
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
AndyWestcott
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0WAN

Post by AndyWestcott »

ChrisUK wrote: NO NO NO......DO transmit on 27.555 and thereabouts.
Shhhh... :)
Don't give away the secret to everyone! :)
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

ChrisUK wrote: NO NO NO......DO transmit on 27.555 and thereabouts.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh the irony :lol:

I'd love to know where you gets your stats from, 3 times more freebanders than hams, of which 70% are hams, that kinda kills your own stats somewhat :lol: