Fast track foundation licence course

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Fast track foundation licence course

Post by Farty »

Adriano9966 wrote::| How would someone know if they are talking to a pirate or not if that person is using what appears to be a legitimate call...?

:? I mean if for example you look on qrz.com and they don't result this is not an indication that they are pirates lots of people are not registered on qrz.com at all!
So if someone came along with an invented callsign or even one belonging to someone else and then said eg this is m6*** just how would you know???

Its a fair question IMO
I isn't on there, or available on any of the publicly viewable lists. Opted out of everything because of my job so didn't want my address locatable by that means.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Adriano9966 wrote:
Guzzy wrote:QRZ don't check UK callsigns, so that's no indication either.
:) That's a very fair point but the general question remains how exactly does someone identify a pirate if they are using a bogus callsign that looks legitimate????
Thats a very good question, before I got my license I did consider making one up or even using somebody elses - its bound to happen.

My Conscience got the better of me and I found a 1 weekend intensive course, but I wonder how many on the air are bogus?
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Repeater User.

Post by Repeater User. »

bigpimp347 wrote:there's three or four local to nottingham that you can pass at without being able to read or write, just being able to turn up gets you a pass..!!!! yes they are really that bad..!!!

just turn up, say you want to become 'a hamateur' dribble and grunt and pay a bit more and you get a pass..!!!
A very disturbing post. Have you proof of this? If this is true it needs to be looked into soonest. I will pass this post on.
Jon_D
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G4FUT

Post by Jon_D »

I received this in an email from a member of a group of new licencees, with whom I was discussing the FL on the air. I have highlighted the BOLD section. It should make identification of those clubs easier. The writer, an M3, was concerned that his achievement in obtaining the FL was diluted by such practices.

Those people who “train” the entrant for the Foundation Level are the same who mark the papers. It is therefore not surprising that a large number of clubs which offer this Level report a regular 100% pass rate.! Recently people who have received the Foundation Licence have reported that often their “examiners” tell them. "If you’re not sure, why did you not just leave it blank. We will fix it. Wholesale cheating is not unknown.
Even if the voices on my head aren't real, they do have some pretty good ideas

Jon G4FUT
Ex-Army
RSARS 1425
simon26OD004
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by simon26OD004 »

GypsyWolf wrote:Does anyone know of a club or other organisation in the North of England that runs an intensive "all in one weekend" type foundation licence course?
Hi, I did mine here http://www.tcars.org.uk almost 10 years ago, a quick look at their website shows that they still do the course over a weekend, 9-5 saturday, 9-12 sunday, then the test on Sunday afternoon. It's not a million miles away from you, maybe just over an hour's drive at a guess.
Oscar Delta 26 Division Coordinator
http://www.oscardelta.org/ ---------------------------------- http://uk.oscardelta.org/
FREE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP
GypsyWolf
Regular
Regular

Post by GypsyWolf »

simon26OD004 wrote:
GypsyWolf wrote:Does anyone know of a club or other organisation in the North of England that runs an intensive "all in one weekend" type foundation licence course?
Hi, I did mine here http://www.tcars.org.uk almost 10 years ago, a quick look at their website shows that they still do the course over a weekend, 9-5 saturday, 9-12 sunday, then the test on Sunday afternoon. It's not a million miles away from you, maybe just over an hour's drive at a guess.
Thanks for this useful piece of info... will be tucking it away for future reference :) Looks like I am starting my FL course on Thursday as my local club have just sorted one out :D
Wolfie

100% Black & White! SYLM

"Gypsy Wolf" 26-TM-997

Alinco DX-70T/Yaesu FT7800e/President Lincoln/Ham International Multimode II
Maycom EM-27/Harrier CBX/Yaesu VX2E/Feidaxin FD-160A & FD-450A/Trio TM201A/Yaesu FT290R
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Jon_D wrote:Wholesale cheating is not unknown.
It's not unknown in any walk of life. If you can find a cure for dishonesty, then you'll be a wealthy man, revered through history. There's little you can do to eradicate it. Answers on a £50 note to...

My clubs trainers marked my paper. Because I was working abroad at the time I took mine 4 days after everyone else, so I had the luxury of 2 x examiners all to myself! Not only am I confident that these guys acted with integrity and professionalism (for amateurs!), but I am also grateful to them for putting in the time and legwork to arrange a sitting just for me.

Not only that, but i got 2 answers wrong and afterwards they took the time afterwards to talk me through these 2 questions and ensure my understanding, when they could've just let me sod off home and get back in time for Eastenders thenselves.

Lets focus on the excellent, helpful, and unpaid work that the clear majority of these volunteers put in to help the next generation and ensure the furture of our hobby.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016