Foundation License Changes from July 2011.

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
infinityandbeyond
Regular
Regular

Re: Foundation License Changes from July 2011.

Post by infinityandbeyond »

2E0JFS wrote:As unpopular as this opinion may be....I am going to say it anyway..

The only people I ever hear breaking this "etiquette" ... are established G - Calls. Often on HF but more often on VHF, "broadcasting" their views on politics, race, personal matters... etc etc... I have NEVER heard an M3 or a 2E0 abusing the airwaves.
I HAVE heard a lot of pirates, and this has nothing to do with "how easy it is" to get a license. This has much more to do with how cheap VHF handies are on eBay.

I do hear some aweful stuff on CB, really really intimidating and angry and offensive, even bullying, that my radio will not transmit on these bands. And I don't want it to. I occasionally tune through the band to hear this stuff. I have never heard anything this bad on the Ham bands ever, but as I said, the bad stuff I do hear, comes from people with full licenses, very very much most of the time.
Regarding bad stuff on the ham bands, You should try listening to GB3DY on 433.250 , 70cm's repeater near Derby, If you think CB is bad you should hear the stuff thats been going on there lately . Its so bad that its driven alot of users off it. Alot of that could be due to cheap radios bought online.
Also GB3CF on 145.600 near leicester has had its fair share too.
Repeater User.

Post by Repeater User. »

infinityandbeyond wrote:
2E0JFS wrote:As unpopular as this opinion may be....I am going to say it anyway..

The only people I ever hear breaking this "etiquette" ... are established G - Calls. Often on HF but more often on VHF, "broadcasting" their views on politics, race, personal matters... etc etc...
A very sweeping statement to say the least. To blame poor operating proceedures / etiquette on older G calls only is quite frankly silly and totally incorrect.
Paul - M0
Regular
Regular

Post by Paul - M0 »

infinityandbeyond wrote:Regarding bad stuff on the ham bands, You should try listening to GB3DY on 433.250 , 70cm's repeater near Derby, If you think CB is bad you should hear the stuff thats been going on there lately . Its so bad that its driven alot of users off it. Alot of that could be due to cheap radios bought online.
Also GB3CF on 145.600 near leicester has had its fair share too.
I've noticed that GB3DY seems to get more than it's fair share of abuse, but I can remember that happening on both CF and DY years ago, it sounds like the same people that prank about on both repeaters to be honest. I'm assuming that no one really cares though (Ofcom) as it's been going on for years on both those repeaters.
Paul.
26TM650
Paul - M0
Regular
Regular

Post by Paul - M0 »

The only people I ever hear breaking this "etiquette" ... are established G - Calls. Often on HF but more often on VHF, "broadcasting" their views on politics, race, personal matters... etc etc... I have NEVER heard an M3 or a 2E0 abusing the airwaves.
I HAVE heard a lot of pirates, and this has nothing to do with "how easy it is" to get a license. This has much more to do with how cheap VHF handies are on eBay.

I do hear some aweful stuff on CB, really really intimidating and angry and offensive, even bullying, that my radio will not transmit on these bands. And I don't want it to. I occasionally tune through the band to hear this stuff. I have never heard anything this bad on the Ham bands ever, but as I said, the bad stuff I do hear, comes from people with full licenses, very very much most of the time.
To be honest I can't really agree with the above, I have heard good and bad on all the amateur bands from both old and new licence holders. There were a few pirates on air around here, but I think most have since gone on to do at least the foundation licence now.

It's the same with CB I find, there are good and bad operators on there. I've heard all the threats and bullying over the years, it just goes in one ear straight out of the other.
Paul.
26TM650