Advanced (and other) courses / exams etc

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
SierraTangoUniform

Advanced (and other) courses / exams etc

Post by SierraTangoUniform »

Due to the lack of apathy of the RSGB and the fact that they don't really care who does courses / exams and when, I was wondering if anyone knew of a forum where one might find out this information?

I've done my Foundation and Intermediate through the local club, but they won't do the advanced exam until next year now and I wondered if anyone knew if there was a list of which clubs intend to hold the June and August exams?

I'm happy to travel a distance - realistically from Swindon across to Cambridge, up to Northants or Leics, and round the west of London or even Essex.

Short of contacting the hundreds of clubs individually, I wondered how people find out about these exams?
dean_aberdare
Silent Key
Silent Key

Re: Advanced (and other) courses / exams etc

Post by dean_aberdare »

MW0TMI / 2W0XTP / MW6VHF

Yaesu Ft-920, Yaesu MD-200 , Trap Dipole, 150ft End-Fed and 3Ele 6m Beam, Western HF Dipole.
Kenwood G707 Dual Band VHF TM163010

*Message from Admin - Dean Sadly passed away in May 2012. R.I.P. Dean.
SierraTangoUniform

Hmm. I think they probably won't let me join
Description
A group for Registered Instructors for the UK Radio Communication Examinations, especially those who have passed through the RGSB's Train the Trainers scheme
I tried that one earlier - I had a look through the RSGB Tutors newsletter and there's nothing in there.....
auntystatic
Regular
Regular

Post by auntystatic »

I don't see why your local club are unwilling to host an exam for you, it only takes a couple of people for an hour or so of their time.

I don't know of a list of clubs that are hosting the exam or even doing a course, but some times they do anounce them in the rsgb local news part of the web site, other than that I'm affraid you will just have to phone around.

8)
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

Just speak to the guys at the various clubs nearby - I'm sure one will either be doing a course soon, or know a club that will be.

Must just be fortunate up here - there's several clubs about, all very helpful in this respect.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
dean_aberdare
Silent Key
Silent Key

Post by dean_aberdare »

If you give some details I will gladly post on the yahoo group for you as I am a registered Tutor at our club here in South Wales, Aberdare & District Amateur Radio Society http://www.radioclubs.net/aadars
MW0TMI / 2W0XTP / MW6VHF

Yaesu Ft-920, Yaesu MD-200 , Trap Dipole, 150ft End-Fed and 3Ele 6m Beam, Western HF Dipole.
Kenwood G707 Dual Band VHF TM163010

*Message from Admin - Dean Sadly passed away in May 2012. R.I.P. Dean.
Quinny1
Banned
Banned

Post by Quinny1 »

It might also help if the op said where he was located.
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Post by GW0DIV »

You could try asking your regional rep?
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
Repeater User.

Post by Repeater User. »

SierraTangoUniform wrote:Due to the lack of apathy of the RSGB and the fact that they don't really care who does courses / exams and when
If it were not for the RSGB (the RSGB Registered Lead Instructors, RSGB examination secretaries, question bank writers, RSGB external verification officers, RSGB regional officers, RSGB Train the Trainers scheme and RSGB HQ staff) you would not have a Foundation & Intermediate license!!

To say the RSGB don't really care is totally misunderstanding the hard work done by your National Society. Local Radio clubs organize courses not the RSGB. And yes, you don't even have to be a member of the RSGB to take courses & exams! "Lack of apathy and don't really care ...."? Bit of a kick in the teeth for the many RSGB volunteers who give up their free time to help others if you ask me. :(

Advanced Exam dates in 2011
Wednesday 6th April 2011 at 19.00
Thursday 16th June 2011 at 19.00
Friday 5th August 2011 at 19.00
October 2011 on Sunday of RSGB Convention weekend
Monday 5th December 2011 at 19.00
techiesteve
Regular
Regular

Post by techiesteve »

My club, MKARS, run 3 courses and examinations per year, foundation, intermediate and advanced. I take my advanced in April with 4 others. Shame you didn't post this before as the forms and cheques have all been sent in, and it's too late now. Good luck with finding an exam venue.
Steve M0SVB
SierraTangoUniform

techiesteve wrote:My club, MKARS, run 3 courses and examinations per year, foundation, intermediate and advanced. I take my advanced in April with 4 others. Shame you didn't post this before as the forms and cheques have all been sent in, and it's too late now. Good luck with finding an exam venue.
Steve, I'm a member of MKARS... but I've only just taken my 2E0, hence the reason June....

Stu
SierraTangoUniform

Repeater User. wrote:
SierraTangoUniform wrote:Due to the lack of apathy of the RSGB and the fact that they don't really care who does courses / exams and when
If it were not for the RSGB (the RSGB Registered Lead Instructors, RSGB examination secretaries, question bank writers, RSGB external verification officers, RSGB regional officers, RSGB Train the Trainers scheme and RSGB HQ staff) you would not have a Foundation & Intermediate license!!

To say the RSGB don't really care is totally misunderstanding the hard work done by your National Society. Local Radio clubs organize courses not the RSGB. And yes, you don't even have to be a member of the RSGB to take courses & exams! "Lack of apathy and don't really care ...."? Bit of a kick in the teeth for the many RSGB volunteers who give up their free time to help others if you ask me. :(

Advanced Exam dates in 2011
Wednesday 6th April 2011 at 19.00
Thursday 16th June 2011 at 19.00
Friday 5th August 2011 at 19.00
October 2011 on Sunday of RSGB Convention weekend
Monday 5th December 2011 at 19.00
Yes, that was probably a bit unfair, and it wasn't about Foundation or Intermediate (I did say this), it's about the full licence - they are only held on those certain dates and the point was that although people have to book well in advance, no-one seems to know who is holding it.

I wouldn't have thought it was difficult to email all the AFFILIATED clubs and ask the question "When do you intend to hold them this year?"

I don't hold much love for the RSGB, but that's another discussion we could have in another thread. I know I'm not the only one. It seems like a "Gentleman's club" and like many Amateur Radio enthusiasts, it's a bit "cliquey". Much like the people in here who put the Foundation exam down (we all have to start somewhere). I have honestly come across G0s, G3s and G4s who wouldn't talk to me as an M6!

Anyways, point is, I'm trying to spend money on their exam. However, I think I've sussed it. So probably time to close the thread before this becomes RSGB vs the world.
M6RIK
Call Sign: 26TM292

Post by M6RIK »

The op makes a very interesting and very valid point.

The RSGB should do more to make entry into the radio hobby and progression through the different stages much easier for its members. I am an RSGB member. I have been attending a local club / foundation course since October. Were now in March and i know the stuff, heck i know most of the stuff in the intermediate book, yet i cannot get onto the air because i have not yet had all the practical stuff signed off and been given the opp to take an exam. Yet the exam is so simple it has been taken by an eight year old.

I have never known a hobby like this and everytime i hear anyone moaning about how the hobby is struggling to attract new blood i have to say are you surprised.

Something needs to change.
26TM292

M6RIK
StoatTB

Post by StoatTB »

SierraTangoUniform wrote:I have honestly come across G0s, G3s and G4s who wouldn't talk to me as an M6!
I've never experienced that problem on air myself, odd... :?