Pass mark

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
suealw
Call Sign: 2W0RBW

Pass mark

Post by suealw »

Hi
Does anyone know what the pass mark is on the intermediate lisence test paper i know there,s 45 questions on the multiple choice paper i was just wondering what the pass mark is ,so when i do the online test paper of old exams i can get an idea how im doing.
Thanks in advance.
2W0RBW
Repeater User.

Re: Pass mark

Post by Repeater User. »

suealw wrote:Hi
Does anyone know what the pass mark is on the intermediate lisence test paper i know there,s 45 questions on the multiple choice paper i was just wondering what the pass mark is ,so when i do the online test paper of old exams i can get an idea how im doing.
Thanks in advance.
27 or above correct answers out of 45 questions.
suealw

Post by suealw »

Thanks thats not bad 27 out of 45 just started doing the course and have been doing a couple of old test papers on line.
thanks again.
Alan MW6NLA
2W0RBW
Repeater User.

Post by Repeater User. »

suealw wrote:Thanks thats not bad 27 out of 45 just started doing the course and have been doing a couple of old test papers on line.
thanks again.
Alan MW6NLA
I do teach all 3 levels. Good luck!
suealw

Post by suealw »

thanks for the good luck, have you any pointers that you could give me for the exam or is it pretty straight forward. thanks again
2W0RBW
SierraTangoUniform

Post by SierraTangoUniform »

Woohoo! I've just passed mine. 44/45.

The pointers I would give are this:

The diagrams are not necessarily the same as in the book

This is a set of paralell Resistors (I hope this works). I know it may seem obvious to you all, but a few got it wrong.

|---------|׀|---׀------------|
|___________________|
|__________R________|
|___________________|
|__________R________|

Also, learn your Transmitters and Receivers properly - they asked us 3 questions and not a single diagram!

The one I got wrong was a question about RMS and how it is calculated...... don't immediately assume because it talks about Square Roots that it's right......

When looking at your resistor colours, don't forget, the 3rd band is the number of 0s. I didn't get a straight forward "What's the value of Blue Black Violet Silver". It was more like "you have a resistor which measures 209 Ohms using a meter. What's the likely colour code?"

A Red Black White Silver
B Red Black White Gold
C Red Black Brown Silver
D Red Black Black Silver

I'll probably think of some more shortly....
g4ilo

Post by g4ilo »

Congratulations!!
Julian, G4ILO
Elecraft K3, KX3, K2, Yaesu FT-817, Kenwood TM-D710, TH-D72, TH-205E,
Baofeng UV-3R, UV-5R, Wouxun KG-699E, Motorola GP300, Albrecht AE2990AFS

G4ILO's Shack - G4ILO's Blog

*Message from Admin - Julian Sadly passed away on 24th October 2014. R.I.P. Julian.
M0HJO
Regular
Regular

Post by M0HJO »

I was gob smacked just how many you can get wrong compared with the other two exams. I know the advanced is done on a "average" but if you got that many wrong I’m sure you would fail.

Anyway well done on your pass, onwards and upwards!

John.
John-M0HJO.

IC-7700, IC-7400, (IC-7000 mobile)
TOKYO HY-POWER HL-700B HF AMP.
LOTS OF WIRE IN THE AIR!
suealw

Post by suealw »

Thanks, yeah we just started doing resistors and the like,another 5 or 6 weeks to go then the exam thanks again.
2W0RBW
g4ilo

Post by g4ilo »

SierraTangoUniform wrote:When looking at your resistor colours, don't forget, the 3rd band is the number of 0s. I didn't get a straight forward "What's the value of Blue Black Violet Silver". It was more like "you have a resistor which measures 209 Ohms using a meter. What's the likely colour code?"

A Red Black White Silver
B Red Black White Gold
C Red Black Brown Silver
D Red Black Black Silver

I'll probably think of some more shortly....
All of the resistors I have bought recently have three bands for digits and the fourth is the number of zeros. They have a couple of other bands which are for tolerance or temperature coefficient. I'm not sure 10% (silver) tolerance resistors are all that common now either. So that question would have confused me.

I would guess the answer should have been C, because red black brown is 200 Ohms and 209 is within 10% of that. But actually red black brown silver is an unlikely colour code, because resistors are made in preferred values, and 200 Ohms is not a preferred value of 10% resistors. The most likely code would have been red red brown (220 Ohm) which is a preferred value.
Julian, G4ILO
Elecraft K3, KX3, K2, Yaesu FT-817, Kenwood TM-D710, TH-D72, TH-205E,
Baofeng UV-3R, UV-5R, Wouxun KG-699E, Motorola GP300, Albrecht AE2990AFS

G4ILO's Shack - G4ILO's Blog

*Message from Admin - Julian Sadly passed away on 24th October 2014. R.I.P. Julian.