Foundation time limit...

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Re: Foundation time limit...

Post by porky.69 »

no problems mark, you make a valid point.
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
MM6TMS
Call Sign: 2M0HIE

Post by MM6TMS »

I don't think there should be a time limit. I am happy using radio under the terms of my MM6 licence. I very very rarely ever use more than 5w anyway (usually 1w on VHF). I would however like to progress to Intermediate and then full but would rather do it in my own time, when I have the cash to spare, which is not in plentifull supply at the moment i'm sure you would agree.
MM6TMS->2M0HIE->MM0???

Yaesu FT70D FM/C4FM 5W
Anyone AT-778UV VHF/UHF 25W.
Baofeng BF-888s UHF x3 2W (ish)
Watson W-50 Dual Band antenna at 26ft
5 Element 145mhz yagi.
suealw
Call Sign: 2W0RBW

Post by suealw »

I think the whole idea of a time limit is a load of cr--p who came up with that and the idea of limited bands what a load of sh--t that is As a foundation license holder im limited to 10 watts and im in the middle of doing the intermediate license,the limit of power is enough to make most people go to the next step.
The people who come up with this rubbish are full license holders i wonder when they were taken there,s would they feel the same or would they come up the same rubbish talk, i think its bad feeling between full and foundation license holders as they had to do the whole thing then but now its made easier these days,leave people alone and enjoy radio and no more rubbish talk of time limit never heard so much rubbish before. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2W0RBW
NorfolkV8
Regular
Regular

Post by NorfolkV8 »

What a stupid idea, the idea of Foundation licence is to get more people in to this great hobby, if you then know you have only 1 or 2 years to move on to your next licence it could put some off taking the foundation exam, some people are happy with 10 watts or even 5 watts qrp ,so there is no point them taking another exam.
I personally wouldnt bother with qrp & soon got fed up with 10 watts so passed the intermediate 8 months after the foundation & now studying for the advanced.
So why any more stupid rules the world is made up of enough of them now ,why try to spoil a great hobby with any more.
It should be personal choice to either stay at foundation level or move up the ladder.
73 de Steve
Full Licence holder
Norfolk UK
Life is to short for qrp
M0HJO
Regular
Regular

Post by M0HJO »

suealw wrote:I think the whole idea of a time limit is a load of cr--p who came up with that and the idea of limited bands what a load of sh--t that is As a foundation license holder im limited to 10 watts and im in the middle of doing the intermediate license,the limit of power is enough to make most people go to the next step.
The people who come up with this rubbish are full license holders i wonder when they were taken there,s would they feel the same or would they come up the same rubbish talk, i think its bad feeling between full and foundation license holders as they had to do the whole thing then but now its made easier these days,leave people alone and enjoy radio and no more rubbish talk of time limit never heard so much rubbish before. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not so! I went from Foundation license to Advance in two and a half years, so I came via the new system. I did this while serving away from home (Royal Navy) for up to ten months per year! To do the advance I did a six month course at a collage thirty miles from my home every Tuesday night, after driving forty three miles home from work.
Because of work I could not go every week, so the lesson for that night was emailed to me for home/work study.

Seems to me most people who don’t want a time limit are long term Foundation holders who cant be bothered to progress! You also say a 10W limit is enough, how often do you hear a M3/M6 on 80M with the biggest signal, even bigger than the 400W big boys.

Like I said I came via the new system, no chip on my shoulder: :roll:

John.

(flak jacket & tin hat on!) (sending this from the middle east on patrol)
John-M0HJO.

IC-7700, IC-7400, (IC-7000 mobile)
TOKYO HY-POWER HL-700B HF AMP.
LOTS OF WIRE IN THE AIR!
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

M0HJO wrote:Seems to me most people who don’t want a time limit are long term Foundation holders who cant be bothered to progress!
I think we have to bear in mind that the training is delivered by volunteers. I think it’s going to depend on your club how quickly you can progress through the levels.

Like I’ve said before in this thread, if you could take the intermediate or the advanced without having to do a lower level that would be better.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
M0HJO
Regular
Regular

Post by M0HJO »

thedeerhunter270 wrote:
M0HJO wrote:Seems to me most people who don’t want a time limit are long term Foundation holders who cant be bothered to progress!
I think we have to bear in mind that the training is delivered by volunteers. I think it’s going to depend on your club how quickly you can progress through the levels.

Like I’ve said before in this thread, if you could take the intermediate or the advanced without having to do a lower level that would be better.
Yes but come on, some have been sitting on that license for 10 years! :shock:
John-M0HJO.

LOTS OF WIRE IN THE AIR!
NorfolkV8
Regular
Regular

Post by NorfolkV8 »

Why does it matter if someone stays at Foundation level for 10 years perhaps they are happy with low power & enjoy the hobby at that level, i say just leave them to enjoy it.
73 de Steve
Full Licence holder
Norfolk UK
Life is to short for qrp
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

M0HJO wrote:Yes but come on, some have been sitting on that license for 10 years! :shock:
Anecdotally, there seem to be an awful lot of intermediate licence holders that have not taken the full licence yet.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

M0HJO wrote:
thedeerhunter270 wrote:

Yes but come on, some have been sitting on that license for 10 years! :shock:
SO ??? what harm are they doing ???????????????
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26CD172

Post by chazwozza »

Like many others i suspect if there had been a time limit
i wouldnt have botherd doing it. All the stuff ive bought since
wouldnt have been bought and the steady decline of radio would have marched
on
NorfolkV8
Regular
Regular

Post by NorfolkV8 »

I've already passed intermediate but probably wouldnt have even taken Foundation if there was a time limit, I like to move on at my own speed, I have the book & have started studying for advanced ,but will not go in for the exam until I'm ready & its up to me if I wait a few months or even a few years.
Why try to spoil the enjoyment of the hobby for others, don't you think there are already enough stupid unessesary rules in the world.
73 de Steve
Full Licence holder
Norfolk UK
Life is to short for qrp
M0HJO
Regular
Regular

Post by M0HJO »

Yes but come on, some have been sitting on that license for 10 years! :shock:[/quote]

SO ??? what harm are they doing ???????????????[/quote]

Yes but you are missing the point :roll: The foundation exam is a entry level exam, giving people a taste of Ham Radio, putting you on your path towards you FULL exam.
Not to say yes thats me, got my foot in the door, sit here fat dumb and happy!

But at the end of the day, for me anyway it was a matter of pride. :D

John.
John-M0HJO.

LOTS OF WIRE IN THE AIR!
NorfolkV8
Regular
Regular

Post by NorfolkV8 »

Some people will find the exams too difficult, if they struggled with their Foundation exam it will probably put them off going any further, i passed Foundation 24/25 & Intermediate 44/45 but some people on the Intermediate course only managed 30 which is a pass but not exactly good encouragement to go for the advanced. I am looking at the Advanced book now ,but can see there is a lot to learn ,so happy that there is not a time limit on keeping my Intermediate
73 de Steve
Full Licence holder
Norfolk UK
Life is to short for qrp
Benny

Post by Benny »

Interesting discussion, but there will NEVER be a time limit imposed on progression through the licences. Ofcom are really not interested in increasing any regulation of a minority hobby.
The introduction of the foundation license saved amateur radio from a slow death. Any enforced progression would put people off going for the foundation.(it would be interesting to hear the views of all the major retailers on this? who must have seen a boon in sales when the foundation was introduced?)
As for people becomming amateurs so they can buy big rigs to use on 555 and 19UKFM????? I really don't think that is the case(it would be if you had to produce your license when buying equipment)
As in any pastime, snobbery and hierarchy are prominent in Ham Radio. The snobs are normally ar****les who have nowt better to do. It is the same when progressing through the various levels in martial arts . There were the odd few who would look down on the "lower belts"
When dxing, the foreign stations don't really seem to be interested in the class of licence. It is really only the VHF M0 and G# that can be a bit ignorant, sitting on their little nets, waffling on about what they had for tea and refusing to acknowledge any break stations with M3/M6 calls. How sad.
QRP Rules OK!