Foundation time limit...

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Foundation time limit...

Post by northern35s »

alannah wrote:
I don't know why you insist on being so derisory about people who are prepared to give their time freely to introduce newcomers to the hobby, whilst I can't mind read, and have never met you, the words you choose to describe these people say so much more than just their dictionary definition
Its all in your imagination I have been complimentary about people who give up their spare time to help others - I will say it again so that you can twist it further - 'I have the greatest respect for those that give their time free of charge to help others, its a very noble thing to do '

As for nothing being in law, I don't know what you're getting at,
In other words I was correct.

it set it apart from a more casual hobby, CB being a case in point, where nothing, other than money to buy a 40 channel rig and accessories, is required, one can spend a lifetime chatting on the CB and never learn anything more than how to switch it on,
Pass the bucket while i'm sick
I can't tell whether you mean to be obtuse, funny or just plain daft, you haven't proposed a reasoned argument, you belittle those who run clubs with your emotive condemnation and likening to some masonic organisation, complain that the exam structure dissuades people from becoming licensed whilst offering no evidence of this, you claim to be correct about something you haven't proven, and rather than argue a point you make a sarcastic comment, by doing all this you lower the tone of the debate, for someone who isn't licensed, and currently has no intention of becoming licensed, you make some odd assertions.

If you want to stick to facts, reasoned argument, and something more than emotive language, then I'm happy to continue, otherwise I'll just ignore your poor argument.
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
g4ilo

Post by g4ilo »

mangina wrote:why is it a "technical" hobby is allowed to be dumbed down so much to accommodate people with one reason or another not to understand anything about the hobby?
It may be a technical hobby for you and I but for a lot of people it is really only about operating and that has been true for a long time. Even back in the days when you had to take a written exam like I did people used to make comments about G3xxx who could just about wire up a plug and wonder how he passed.

The concern I think is that if the ham bands were left to the techies some of whom like me don't actually operate a lot then the powers that be might wonder if better use could be made of this valuable spectrum. At least it isn't as bad here as it is in the USA where there is so much emphasis on "emcomms" that people with no technical interest or indeed no interest at all in any of the traditional aspects of the hobby are actively encouraged to get a license just so ham radio can take all the kudos for being the volunteer emergency service and so justify its existence.

I don't understand why there has to be this animosity between the different groups of radio users. We're all people who are interested in radio. Isn't that enough?
Julian, G4ILO
Elecraft K3, KX3, K2, Yaesu FT-817, Kenwood TM-D710, TH-D72, TH-205E,
Baofeng UV-3R, UV-5R, Wouxun KG-699E, Motorola GP300, Albrecht AE2990AFS

G4ILO's Shack - G4ILO's Blog

*Message from Admin - Julian Sadly passed away on 24th October 2014. R.I.P. Julian.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:) the official definition of amatuer radio is for self development in telecommunications the clue is surely in the title 'amatuer' ordinary people have different levels of competence

I agree with the present system as its bought many people into the hobby that otherwise would have been excluded if someone is happy with the level they are at why would they need to go further????

:| I took the intermediate test for myself no other reason I really dont care about having increased power the object was 'self development' I learned and progressed
over here in Banbury our local club like many others is involved in jota and so a number of young scouts 11-16 yo are also radio amatuers if the exam was too complicated this would not be possible and they would also be excluded from the hobby

our youngest radio amatuer is the 10 yo grandaughter of someone who for many years has run a a popular 80 metre network he only recently took his intermediate test himself and that was 6 years or so after taking the foundation some people are suggesting there should be a time limit of three years.....why????????????????????????????????? :|

forcing people to do something they are not ready for are uncomfortable doing
I think is wrong so i say leave things as they are just my opinion
TAFF
Regular
Regular

Post by TAFF »

mangina wrote:this is what comes of making the exam structure such a joke.. people get the foundation so easily they don't want to put any effort in for anything else.. theres no need..

why is it a "technical" hobby is allowed to be dumbed down so much to accommodate people with one reason or another not to understand anything about the hobby?

Ok its not life or death but thats not the point.. MENSA isn't life or death but they don't accommodate for half witts who think there intitled to join because its the new millenia and not 1960..

amateur radio is not cb ,pmr ,555 nor should it be allowed to be watered down by such like it has..
am i missing something here or would you like to explain a little bit more.
you say the exam structure is a joke,people get the foundation licence
so easily.Where from may i ask, i havent seen them in tescos or sainsburys
recently, maybe im missing the bargain sections. i have hered a whisper
they come with cornflake boxes, perhaps i should keep my eyes open and look
for them bargains, one box of cornflakes and a free licence. amateur radio is not cb ,pmr ,555 nor should it be allowed to be watered down by such like... you dont say i bet you are well up with mensa. three simple words springs to mind
Get a life...........
Mark-in-Essex
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Mark-in-Essex »

g4ilo wrote:
mangina wrote:why is it a "technical" hobby is allowed to be dumbed down so much to accommodate people with one reason or another not to understand anything about the hobby?
It may be a technical hobby for you and I but for a lot of people it is really only about operating and that has been true for a long time. Even back in the days when you had to take a written exam like I did people used to make comments about G3xxx who could just about wire up a plug and wonder how he passed.

The concern I think is that if the ham bands were left to the techies some of whom like me don't actually operate a lot then the powers that be might wonder if better use could be made of this valuable spectrum. At least it isn't as bad here as it is in the USA where there is so much emphasis on "emcomms" that people with no technical interest or indeed no interest at all in any of the traditional aspects of the hobby are actively encouraged to get a license just so ham radio can take all the kudos for being the volunteer emergency service and so justify its existence.

I don't understand why there has to be this animosity between the different groups of radio users. We're all people who are interested in radio. Isn't that enough?

Well said Julian....100% agree with you Image
mattltm
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by mattltm »

g4ilo wrote:

Best answer so far. I think that hits the nail on the head.
"Spooky action at a distance."
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

g4ilo wrote:

Hi Julian, glad to hear you join in and I agree that for a lot of people it is all about operating, that said, if it were not for the 'techies' we wouldn't even be discussing the foundation licence, we wouldn't know or have what we have today, the many things we take for granted, the immense pool of knowledge of those technically gifted people who went before us, we merely stand on the shoulders of those giants, without the 'techies' we stand still, if all we were to encourage was operating, then right here, right now is the apex of our understanding, and for that reason I still believe it should be promoted as a technical hobby, where creativity and experimentation is encouraged. Don't get me wrong, I don't spend my days and nights at a desk soldering various gubbins together, maximising my radiated signal and minimising loss is where I spend the bulk of my time, the end result is working DXCC mobile.

Cheers

Stephen
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
g4ilo

Post by g4ilo »

I agree, Stephen. But what I basically said was that in order for ham radio to continue to exist as a place for experimenters to experiment you have also got to attract a lot of people who just want to operate, otherwise someone might decide that all that valuable spectrum could be put to better use by someone else.

If I wanted to stir things a bit I might ask just how much real, innovative, ground breaking development has been done by amateurs in recent years? Yes there have been some interesting weak signal digital modes. But these are things that mostly are only ever used by a small minority of users. I'm not saying there is anythinbg wrong with that. I use WSPR and JT65A myself. But the only reason we are still able to do that is because of all the thousands of people who come on to work DX and take part in contests and fill the bands from wall to wall so the powers that be can see that yes, ham radio still is a thriving activity that needs all that space.
Julian, G4ILO
Elecraft K3, KX3, K2, Yaesu FT-817, Kenwood TM-D710, TH-D72, TH-205E,
Baofeng UV-3R, UV-5R, Wouxun KG-699E, Motorola GP300, Albrecht AE2990AFS

G4ILO's Shack - G4ILO's Blog

*Message from Admin - Julian Sadly passed away on 24th October 2014. R.I.P. Julian.
alannah
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by alannah »

But what I basically said was that in order for ham radio to continue to exist as a place for experimenters to experiment you have also got to attract a lot of people who just want to operate, otherwise someone might decide that all that valuable spectrum could be put to better use by someone else.
I agree entirely:

In my teens and later I was a keen cyclist, but the only way to access like minded people was to join a cycling club, which I did, but there was steady decline in numbers. Put simply the hobby was dead in the water, then came along triathlon, BMX and mountain biking. All these people joined the sport via a different route from the usual cycling club and the new blood and new ideas and new equipment gradually became mainstream. The results in the last Olympics and world championships speak for themselves.

A lot of money could be made if 4m, 2m and 70cm were sold off to the highest bidders. Ofcom have already started allocating pmr licenses in the 70cm band and not in in the London area either - is this the thin end of the wedge ?

In modern times money is God - You need to attract and allow people other than from the normal club route to inject new ideas and new vision, otherwise I forsee a time when only limited HF use will be available - if that.
mangina
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by mangina »

TAFF wrote:
mangina wrote:this is what comes of making the exam structure such a joke.. people get the foundation so easily they don't want to put any effort in for anything else.. theres no need..

why is it a "technical" hobby is allowed to be dumbed down so much to accommodate people with one reason or another not to understand anything about the hobby?

Ok its not life or death but thats not the point.. MENSA isn't life or death but they don't accommodate for half witts who think there intitled to join because its the new millenia and not 1960..

amateur radio is not cb ,pmr ,555 nor should it be allowed to be watered down by such like it has..
am i missing something here or would you like to explain a little bit more.
you say the exam structure is a joke,people get the foundation licence
so easily.Where from may i ask, i havent seen them in tescos or sainsburys
recently, maybe im missing the bargain sections. i have hered a whisper
they come with cornflake boxes, perhaps i should keep my eyes open and look
for them bargains, one box of cornflakes and a free licence. amateur radio is not cb ,pmr ,555 nor should it be allowed to be watered down by such like... you dont say i bet you are well up with mensa. three simple words springs to mind
Get a life...........
your not looking hard enough... do you need one ?

getting a foundation is as easy as turning up for the exam, the only real defenders of the exam structure being so easy are the freeloaders and those with this vision because we all use a radio were all the same..

im i no way in the same category as the cb.555 user who happened to do a weekend course and has no interest.. the only reason being for the ticket is as i say to blow cobwebs off the widebanded amateur radio they have been using for cb/pmr and 555 for the last few years.

they stopped putting them on cornflake packets because too many wannabees were cutting their fingers..
SecretShortwave
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by SecretShortwave »

when you have passed your driving test should you have to pass your advanced driving test say after two years or lose your license :o
makes about as much sense as the orignal posters question :lol:
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

UGLY_BOB wrote:Bear in mind that many are happy with the limitations of the Foundation licence, and don't seek the additional 'perks' of the Intermediate etc. If I wanted to fish in the canal, and was happy with my fishing permit, why would I want a full trawler licence ?
As I said on page 1. Leave things as they are.
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

NoiseBoy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by NoiseBoy »

mangina wrote: getting a foundation is as easy as turning up for the exam, the only real defenders of the exam structure being so easy are the freeloaders and those with this vision because we all use a radio were all the same..
It may be easy for people with previous experience but for someone with no experience of electrical equipment the course is essential and the exam potentially quite difficult.
mangina
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by mangina »

NoiseBoy wrote:
mangina wrote: getting a foundation is as easy as turning up for the exam, the only real defenders of the exam structure being so easy are the freeloaders and those with this vision because we all use a radio were all the same..
It may be easy for people with previous experience but for someone with no experience of electrical equipment the course is essential and the exam potentially quite difficult.
don't agree , the foundation can be passed by 99% of people after a weekends reading of the booklet.
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Post by GW0DIV »

Silly question perhaps, how would you do the practical tests with out going to a club?
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group