Hello from Baňo Checo

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
andrew30
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 329TM1

Hello from Baňo Checo

Post by andrew30 »

Hi there,
It appears I'm the first poor soul (sarcasm) to become TM member, at least one from banana-stan known as Czech Republic. :clap: :mrgreen:
CB and PMR446 is VERY active in this place (SOTAs happening every weekend), but a lot of activities are more close-door, only for CZE and Slovak operators, I guess you could say, we have yet to discover the power behind DXing, at least those that aren't HAMs that is..

I'm not that long on CB bands, total of about 1 year, but PMR446 has a big legacy in my "shack", right now about 15 years. Even though I'm licensed HAM, I still take great interest in CB bands (to great surprise of our local antenna guy - apparently I was the only one around). There's just something magical about being able to contact with anyone, not just selected folks with standardized callsign.
Recently, JS8 or JS8CALL spurred my interest, as it easily enables 5W SSB-enabled rig to reach 1000+km distances even in such bad CONDX. I'm planning to cover that subject soon, as well as how to get started with any SSB-enabled rig you might have laying around.

Best of 73,
Ondrej
GusWroclaw
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 161TM313

Re: Hello from Baňo Checo

Post by GusWroclaw »

Hey Ondrej. I was wondering what rig you use for SSB and if you use it in your car or as a base station.

73!
161-TM-313 - Midland Alan 42
andrew30
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 329TM1

Re: Hello from Baňo Checo

Post by andrew30 »

GusWroclaw wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 10:03 Hey Ondrej. I was wondering what rig you use for SSB and if you use it in your car or as a base station.

73!
Hi Gus,
I used RCI-2950DX, but now my only rig is FT-817ND, with MARS mod of course. :D
I don't have a car, but right now I'd choose FT-817ND over anything else due to its size.
5W may not be the highest power, but it's enough for digital and local SSB talks. And if need be, a $50 DIY project with power reaching 100W is manageable.