Ctcss and Dcs codes.

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
ET47
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: ET47A1

Ctcss and Dcs codes.

Post by ET47 »

Just to help me understand a litttle more, imagine there's a frequency I need to set my radio to to communicate with my friend and he sends me this, 446.00625 446.00675 110.9 how do I put this in my radio?
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: Ctcss and Dcs codes.

Post by paulears »

It does rather depend on the radio, as to exactly how, but that frequency is in the PMR446 band, so if you are intending sticking it into a non PMR446 radio, the only potential problem could be if the radio doesn't allow that exact frequency to be entered. This isn't much help, but on keypad programmable radios, you set the single frequency in, make sure it is NOT set to duplex (where it wants a different transmits frequency, and might have a + or minus in the display window), and then enter the tone frequency. This could be by perhaps pressing 'set' then finding the tone frequency and entering it. Trouble is every radio is different. How well do you understand your radio?

Keep in mind that while lots of people do this, PMR446 is intended for low power, already programmed radios with a permanent aerial. You can buy any radio that is capable, but using them isn't legal. Lots do it, of course, but that's up to you.

If you tell us what radio it is, we could be specific.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Looking at your picture thread it looks like you have Baofeng radios, provided you have the correct programming cable you should be able to use CHIRPto program them.
ET47
Regular
Regular

Post by ET47 »

Correct. Baofeng at the moment. My collection is just beginning, I do have a programming cable and I'm familiar with chirp, the frequencies I specified were just an example and the ctcss code also, all I want to know is which frequency goes where and does the ctcss code go in the tx or the rx box??
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Programming for repeaters is easy:
Frequency you listen on(repeater output) goes in Frequency
Tone mode set "tone"
Tone 110.9 (your example)
Duplex - set to + or - depending on wether the input frequency is higher or lower.
Offset set to difference between input and output eg 2m ham repeater 0.600
Mode this I always set to NFM

Power High or Low as appropriate.

Hope this helps
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

There ain't no offset repeaters on 446 as far as I'm aware.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Admiral wrote:There ain't no offset repeaters on 446 as far as I'm aware.
He states the frequencies he used were just an example
ET47 wrote: the frequencies I specified were just an example and the ctcss code also, all I want to know is which frequency goes where and does the ctcss code go in the tx or the rx box??
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Put the CTCSS tone on the transmit frequency, as the other end requires it to be heard. If you put it on receive, then you will only hear the correct tone equipped other users - which for some things is good, but if you are going to use PMR446 - it can be handy to leave this without CTCSS as then you will hear any user on the channel. If for example, you want to talk to your friend, other users on the channel can interfere with you, and with CTCSS enabled, you'd just miss some of your friends messages. If you can hear the people using the channel, it can be handy. Most users, however, just put the same tone on receive and transmit.

We thought you didn't know how to programme the radio, but with the software you have, just enter the same frequency into TX and RX, and the same frequency into the tone boxes. That's it really. Anything else got you troubled?
ET47
Regular
Regular

Post by ET47 »

Excellent that's a great help guys thanks.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Hi and welcome!
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)