New to this...

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
ET47
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: ET47A1

New to this...

Post by ET47 »

Ok very new to programming. Can you please explain tx and rx, ctcss dcs etc. We need a programming guide for dummies...
VintageTin
Call Sign: 26TM516

Re: New to this...

Post by VintageTin »

Blatantly copied from the web:-

CTCSS stands for Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System. Basically what it does is this: it adds a tone into your transmission at a certain frequency. Other radios must have the same CTCSS tone or code set to hear the transmission. It will also be heard if the radio has CTCSS and DCS off. Different CTCSS codes have different frequencies, and this is how it filters out other people - as long as they have a different CTCSS, or no CTCSS, then your radio will not pass any audio to the speaker.

DCS works the same, apart from it being digital instead. It stands for Digitally Coded Squelch. It sends a number repeatedly encoded in digital as you speak, in the low frequencies so you do not hear it. If someone else transmits on the channel with a different or no DCS, the radio will not unmute. If they transmit with the same DCS as you, then your radio will unmute. DCS is newer than CTCSS, and has more combinations.

Tx=transmit Rx=receive

Best read the manual for the radio (or download one)
Malcolm
ET47
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: ET47A1

Post by ET47 »

That's a great explaination thank you.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Hi and welcome! I still don't get the explanation? I'm struggling how to play Operation... Say no more!
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)