A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
The1000
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: The1000

Re: New Member

Post by The1000 »

stanogs68 wrote:how do you do and :thumbup:
Hello! Thanks for the thumbs up! Top of the day! :wave:
The1000
Regular
Regular

Post by The1000 »

stanogs68 wrote:how do you do and :thumbup:
Thanks for the thumbs up! Top of the day! :wave:
The1000
Regular
Regular

Post by The1000 »

ghost123uk wrote:Told you there would be a (modest) pile up :)
It's all good Ghost! :D :thumbup: :wave:
The1000 wrote:
ghost123uk wrote: What sort of radio are you into?
I have a tube type Kris Base, D-104, Reverb Mod Booster, Shooting Star, Palomar SWR/Watt, Browning Golden Eagle, Eagle 10DA, a helper. Galaxy hard loaded Mobile, Driving Wilson Center Loads, helper. What do you have as radio(s) Thanks again! :wave: 73rds
KW-The1000
I say !! - Crickey !! - Jeepers creepers !!

I'm glad I asked that question 8)

I just had to look some of that kit up as I'd not heard of most of it :oops:
Kris Base A valve powered CB set = :o :ugeek: :crazy: which one? and what's it like to own & use?
I now know the D-104 is a Silver Eagle which I am familiar with :thumbup:
A Reverb Mod Booster is coming up on Google as a Guitar pedal ??
The Palomar SWR/Watt meter looks like a great classic bit of kit :mrgreen:
The Browning Golden Eagle (CB) = Wow, that does look cool, how well does it perform? I take it it's xtal controlled AM only?
The other Eagle mic Eagle 10DA again, cool.
The only things out of your list I am familiar with are the Wilson antennas. I'm guessing, looking at the rest of what you have, that your "helpers" are unlikely to be of the modern cheapo, comman as "muck", and about the same quality as "muck", Chinese 100W mosfet types ;)

We have quite a few collectors on here. I put those URL links in for them as, when they see your kit, they will no doubt be very interested, if not a bit envious.

As for me. Well back in the 80s and early 90s I used to own the local (small town) electronics shop. We used to do a lot with CB and at one time, when I had a licensed amateur working for me, we did buy and sell some of that type of gear too. However, it was all fairly modest kit, 70s and 80s CB sets (sidebanders, Cobra, Ham International etc under the counter as not permitted then in the UK) and your usual low end HF and 2Mtr stuff, plus modern (then) "scanners" and broad coverage receivers.

I currently run a tidy Stalker 9FDX onto a 21 foot 5/8 wave vertical on a modest pole at the back of my modest garden. Don't use "home base" much though. Mobile is one of those modern 25mHz - 30mHz multimode sets onto a variety of antennas, depending on my mood and what I want to achieve. Until recently, I used to go "up the hills" in the 80's VW camper van ("vanagon" in the USA) occasionally for a DX expedition. Of course helpers are not permitted here in the UK, so of course, I don't EVER use one ;).

Waiting for the summer here in the UK right now. Do you know, it fell to minus 4 here last night :o :evil:
Alright, I am familiar with the Stalker, I've heard it was a good radio. What type of 5/8's do you have? I agree about the helpers, never use one, well my handle might be a clue to that.?
The Kris is an outstanding base. It too is highly modified, Yaseu fan, it covers 92 channels, and splits each one. It's strictly a.m. radio
Radio less D-104...
Golden Eagle.png
vintage-kris-23-cb-transceiver-tube-type-cb-radio-and-mic-working-512214bac2a69a3f3107684cf10434c2.jpg
I have the Eagle sold. It is 100% stock, other than having 3 separate pingers. It was a fine radio, and modulation was out of sight! Never heard a radio like it. Ever. The Kris tube type, is a 23+, modified about every way one could be. Dead key 15 watts, swing 21w. Excellent radio, but the Eagle would out modulate it, any day. I will retube the old Kris, and keep it as a stand by for 11 meters. I bought the Kris brand new in 1975. I am now moving toward a Ham ticket, and a Kenwood TS-950SG, Cushcraft R-9, 1.5K Vertical. Kenwood MC-90. And that will be my beginning point.
I will post pictures when it's set up. Thanks Ghost! Top of the day!

The 1000, KW Country
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'pinger' in a radio?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Roger bleep?
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
The1000
Regular
Regular

Post by The1000 »

Admiral wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'pinger' in a radio?
A pinger is, a capacitor, from rather small, to very large (let's say 2" x1" x 6" x 1". They make the eagle scream different. From very short, to very long. With a wiggle of the microphone, the sounds vary greatly. Hope this helps. 73s, :thumbup:
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

The1000 wrote:
A pinger is, a capacitor, from rather small, to very large (let's say 2" x1" x 6" x 1". They make the eagle scream different. From very short, to very long. With a wiggle of the microphone, the sounds vary greatly. Hope this helps. 73s, :thumbup:
Not really, but whatever floats your boat.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
The1000
Regular
Regular

Post by The1000 »

Admiral wrote:
The1000 wrote:
Not really, but whatever floats your boat.
It floats. By the way, they are exclusive to G Eagle.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Hi and welcome!
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
The1000
Regular
Regular

Post by The1000 »

mof000 wrote:Hi and welcome!
Thanks for the welcome! :wave: