Discone price range

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
elliotg

Discone price range

Post by elliotg »

Hi all i know the discussion of discones has been covered many times but i was wondering why is there such a varied price range for them? I know they are not tuned to specific bands but i just moved in with my girlfriend and got a unused attic space so gonna put one up there i think. Currently using a Watson Supergainer antenna so even any discone will be better than that even though the supergainer is still a good antenna while mobile etc.

Was having a look on radioworld and saw these with varios prices but like i said not sure how some are much more expensive than others.

https://www.radioworld.co.uk/search/pro ... ry=Discone
Whistler TRX-1
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: Discone price range

Post by paulears »

Metal, really. Some use ultra-lightweigh alloy, some not extruded but folded, some use very poor castings for the hub, some use different types of sockets, some have better waterproofing, others might have additional tuned elements that might be/might not be useful. Bit like a car really - some are made better, and will last. All will get you to the shops and back.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Discone price range

Post by grafter »

And much of it is explained by ' more expensive must be better'. I've never rated them for scanning, much preferring a tri band colinear with dipoles for any other bands not covered by the vertical but if you do want one I'd go for the cheapest model that covers the frequencies you're after, build quality isn't really going to matter if you're putting it in the loft.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.