Help

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
knoxville
Regular
Regular

Help

Post by knoxville »

Hi.

I know that alot of the radio waves are going digital gradually, and you cant listen to what you could 10 years ago, but im really stuck :(
All i'm listening to is a few security guards, taxi and air :(
I would really love to enjoy scanning as it seems a great hobby, and there is probably tonnes of stuff to listen to, but where?
What can I listen to on the lower bands? (1mhz - 30mhz) Where can I find TV audio, and possibly military air etc.

Thanks in advance for any help

Knoxville.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Hi Knoxville. The bands from about 5 to 15 Mhz are full of signals, mainly broadcast AM and 'utility'ssb (mainly amateur, air and maritime). If your scanner has these modes and is a decent performer, you should easily find something. The trouble with most handhelds is that they have poor selectivity (making stations swamp each other) and can only receive the stronger signals. Usually, any attempt to use a nice big antenna causes them to overload and all you get is a mess.
As for VHF and UHF, why not get yourself a copy of the UK Scanning Directory? I think its advertised in Short Wave Magazine - or RadioUser as it is now called.
Don't give up - I've been scanning for about 20 years and was a SWL before that and I'm still finding stuff to earwig on. Half the fun is finding it!

EDIT: Try http://www.ukmidlandscanner.co.uk/index.htm and download the beginners guide, that might help you.

Oops EDIT Again: Were you asking for Wilkinson's freq's? According to my RADIO TODAY CD, you should try: 461.400 MHz and 442.800 nFM. Good luck!
knoxville
Regular
Regular

Post by knoxville »

Thanks andy. No my Yaesu doesnt have them modes. Thanks for the wilkos frequencies! Might have a look at that book. Suppose I will just stick to it and keep finding!

Knoxville :)
SIMON1
Regular
Regular

Post by SIMON1 »

I found the best addition for my scanner was a discone aerial in the loft. I am now picking up loads more. Prisons, Air, security, marine,council,car parks, taxi's,traffic wardens, amateur radio, power station & ambulances from different Counties,
knoxville
Regular
Regular

Post by knoxville »

SIMON1 wrote:I found the best addition for my scanner was a discone aerial in the loft. I am now picking up loads more. Prisons, Air, security, marine,council,car parks, taxi's,traffic wardens, amateur radio, power station & ambulances from different Counties,
Hmm, might consider it then. :D
knoxville
Regular
Regular

Post by knoxville »

Can anyone suggest any frequency ranges to look at? Also, what frequencies can I find TV audio on?

Shodi
Regular
Regular

TV Audio

Post by Shodi »

You will find Beeb1 @ 863.2500 and ITV @ 493.2500 still searching for others. you could look @ the links below I found a few for my area in them http://www.scannerfreqs.co.uk/downloads.html
http://www.ajpotts.fsnet.co.uk/links.html

Good luck :twisted: :twisted:
knoxville
Regular
Regular

Post by knoxville »

I cant pick up any TV sound :( My transmitter is Sutton Coldfield and got all the frequencies right, but nothing!
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Knoxville - assuming you've entered the sound freq (ie not the vision one!) perhaps you've selected the wrong mode. TV sound is wide FM, sometimes called FM(w) or just FM as opposed to narrow FM or FM(n).
knoxville
Regular
Regular

Post by knoxville »

Still no luck :( I don't get any signal at all, I'm still suing the rubber duck antenna :?
It should still work, right?
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Hi again K -

I've looked up Sutton Coldfield, and the channels are:

BBC1 : Channel 46 Sound = 677.250 MHz
BBC2 : Channel 40 Sound = 629.250 MHz
ITV : Channel 43 Sound = 653.250 MHz
Ch4 : Channel 50 Sound = 709.250 MHz

This is an unusual channel layout, so I'll double check and come back with any corrections :shock:
knoxville
Regular
Regular

Post by knoxville »

I can pick up BBC 1, verrrry feintly. I think they are correct.
Do you know any more good freqs.?

Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

K -
Hmmm, sounds a bit strange - if you are within Sutton Coldfields area, it should be very strong! I can't imagine why it is weak... unless:

a. Your scanner is busted :cry:
b. You have got the attenuator on :oops:
c. Your antenna is baaaaaad :shock:

Any of the above might also explain why you are not hearing much on other frequencies too!

Sorry, I can't help with frequencies in the midlands - all my stuff is for Manchester.
knoxville
Regular
Regular

Post by knoxville »

Is it because I am low down, and my TV antenna is way up on the roof?

EDIT: I went upstairs and held the scanner way up in the direction of another houses antenna and picked up the signals, I think its because I was lower down.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Still sounds a bit 'deaf' to me - although you may be at the edge of Sutton Coldfield's coverage.
Here are some freqs for you:

173.800 to 175 MHz - Radio microphones. They are only a few milliwatts output, but they can be heard over quite an area *if you have a decent antenna*.
There are also other allocations for radio mics around 200 MHz and 800 MHz.

853 to 866 MHz - cordless headphones. There's one around here so I can hear what they have on their TV - interesting late at night! :wink:

446/447/427/469 MHz (freq approx) studio talkback links, they come and go. Also worth a listen around 141 MHz.

31 MHz - latest cordless phones.

Hope this helps, but most of these signals are none-too-strong and you may not hear them on a ducky.