WHICH SCANNER REALISTIC OR UNIDEN ???

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

WHICH SCANNER REALISTIC OR UNIDEN ???

Post by WARLOCK »

I am going to get myself another scanner . which to buy i do not want one of the newer models , I am thinking of a relistic pro-2006 or a uniden ubc785xlt or what do you suggest any thoughts please.
Buick Mackane

Re: WHICH SCANNER REALISTIC OR UNIDEN ???

Post by Buick Mackane »

I Always thought realistic gear was made by uniden.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by WARLOCK »

HI Buick Mackane, the realistic pro 2006 may well be made by uniden what i am asking is which of the scanners would be the better receiving scanner if not any of these what scanner would others recommend ???
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by WARLOCK »

HI Buick Mackane, i have been informed the realistic pro 2006 was made by a company called GRE from japan not uniden ???
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Note the word thought in my previous post, I always thought uniden made equipment for realistic, Never said it was the holy truth, Anyhow i'm sure admiral will be along soon to tell you which is better :)
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by WARLOCK »

HI Buick Mackane, never mind the scanners i would just like to say for the last 12 years we have taken our two weeks summer holidays at Fort William staying in the highland hotel we just love the coast around Mallaig if you live anywhere near there you are one of the luckest men alive ,from George
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Realistic/Radio Shack did rebrand some Uniden scanners, the Realistic Pro-2036 is a rebranded Uniden BC890XLT, it was also available with a Commtel and a GRE badge. There are quite a few other examples.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Beefeater
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: TM727

Post by Beefeater »

Hi,i've had Realistic,Gre,Uniden and many others over the years but own a Yupiteru MVT-7100 hand held scanner which includes USB/LSB. Far better than the others in my opinion though i rarely use it now. Might sell it and buy some vintage table radios (new interest)
Yaesu FT-840
Motorola GP-340 x2
Icom IC-735 Transceiver
Baofeng A58S Transceiver
Various Vertical Antennas x6
bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by bigbassman »

Out of the 2 that you mention of which I have both,my vote would be for the Uniden.Not only does it have many more channels (1000 compared to 400 on the Pro-2006),but I find the Alpha-numeric tagging a godsend.I listen mainly to airband,and although it takes some time to do it,it is a great help when listening.Having said that,there is software available for the 785 available to download (although it does cost to register it) ProScan I believe it's called.But dont get me wrong,the little 2006 is a solid workhorse.
2 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 1 X Yaesu FRG 100 Uniden 125 XLT LCL 2740.