TETRA

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Twocky61
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: JayWalker

TETRA

Post by Twocky61 »

Anyone know if a TETRA decoder is commercially available to us to buy so we can listen to the police?

Pre Tetra here in Dorset the police transmitted around 450mhz UHF unencrypted

My mate & I used to help the police though the ungrateful so & so's saw it as interfering in their official duties - B******s lol

One occasion we heard an "attention drawn" that a named driver was due out in ten minutes driving a coach from Home James coaches in Southampton SC UK. So we helpfully phoned Home James & asked to speak to the driver. He came to the phone & we suggested he might want to hand the job to another driver as someone had reported him to the police that he had been drinking & said police were waiting at the Rushmore roundabout

We later heard the police who had pulled the coach over for a breathalyser test and he registered negative

We helped the police? Not from their point of few lol
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: TETRA

Post by MrWeetabix »

There is no way to listen in to the UK Police Force. Full Stop. It's been discussed countless times on here.

You can listen to unencrypted TETRA comms with the right gear, but it's the encryption bit that's the kicker.

As for the bus driver, if he had been drinking then he should have been stopped, arrested and prosecuted. If he hadn't, then getting stopped and breathalysed is no big deal to him....

Police are there for public protection. Arresting drunk drivers and taking them off the road is part of that. Imagine if he'd been drinking and was taking a bus load of kids straight to the scene of an accident? Nothing to be proud of in potentially protecting a drunk driver. These people wreck lives. simple as that.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Don't you have any more ripping yarns? This one's getting a bit dated.
Twocky61 wrote:by Twocky61
21 Oct 2016, 16:46:

The police have gone Airwave Tetra and now ATC is going automated. I love streaming police & ATC :) I used to help the police though they would consider it interfering like when came over the air attention drawn to a coach driver due out of Home James Coaches Southampton. The police duly waited for him on the Rushmore Roundabout M271 so I phoned Home James and asked to speak to the driver. I advised him to hand the job to a colleague. The police pulled the other driver and afterwards over the radio came he was not drunk after all little knowing it was another driver and not the driver DWI :)
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

I helped them direct traffic once at a RTC. Yawn
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
26TM931
Regular
Regular

Post by 26TM931 »

Twocky61 wrote:Anyone know if a TETRA decoder is commercially available to us to buy so we can listen to the police?

Pre Tetra here in Dorset the police transmitted around 450mhz UHF unencrypted

My mate & I used to help the police though the ungrateful so & so's saw it as interfering in their official duties - B******s lol

One occasion we heard an "attention drawn" that a named driver was due out in ten minutes driving a coach from Home James coaches in Southampton SC UK. So we helpfully phoned Home James & asked to speak to the driver. He came to the phone & we suggested he might want to hand the job to another driver as someone had reported him to the police that he had been drinking & said police were waiting at the Rushmore roundabout

We later heard the police who had pulled the coach over for a breathalyser test and he registered negative

We helped the police? Not from their point of few lol
It is possibly people like you who led the Police and others to go to encrypted services and letting that guy who would have got caught
off, may have got in another coach with loads of kids and poss killed them all
Twocky61
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: JayWalker

Post by Twocky61 »

Good point guys; never thought of that aspect
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Bloody irresponsible, hence one reason encryption and 4g exists!
You can never have enough radios!