DMR radio

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Shambles
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6CEF

DMR radio

Post by Shambles »

Hi everyone, looking for advise on a DMR radio, I am thinking of getting one of these radios,are they difficult programme and will they pick up frequencies that anologue cannot anymore,like ambulance,fire brigade and many more.

Cheers
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: DMR radio

Post by Admiral »

Paul (G4RMT) has recently uploaded a video about digital scanners, he specifically reviews the Whistler, but the ethos of the video can be applied to all digital scanners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2XTsd8a7ZY

And no, they don't resolve encrypted signals.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

Shambles wrote:Hi everyone, looking for advise on a DMR radio, I am thinking of getting one of these radios,are they difficult programme and will they pick up frequencies that anologue cannot anymore,like ambulance,fire brigade and many more.

Cheers
iv got an md-380 UHF dmr handy for sale if your interested..

send me a pm ;)
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Interesting to read on the US forums how cross people are that their Police, Fire and Emergency services are starting to go encrypted. What I didn't realise that the US have no national coordination for this kind of thing, so the Police departments are all buying their systems individually with no country wide plan, so they have no equivalent of our airwave system where user services can talk to each other if they need to. It's unusual for us to be ahead.

To Shambles - the days of listening to the emergency services are long gone, sadly.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

Shambles wrote:will they pick up frequencies that anologue cannot anymore,like ambulance,fire brigade and many more.
No. In the UK the emergency services are using TETRA, not DMR. And anyway they are encrypted so even if you bought a TETRA radio you would never be able to listen in. It's practically impossible so just completely forget that idea.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification