Uniden 536 - Mobile Use Wi-Fi

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Uniden 536 - Mobile Use Wi-Fi

Post by bigbloke »

Hi All,

Continuing my series of posts on the Uniden 536.....

Found another integration "challenge" for mobile operation. Use of the WiFi.

The Wifi adapter runs, as I think ive posted before, in 2 modes:

Infrastructure Mode - Uses your WIFI Access Point (AP)

Access Point Mode - Acts as its own AP with your devices attaching to it

I had the bright idea that I would run it as follows:

Code: Select all

(wifi)                      (bluetooth)
536HP---wifi_dongle /\/\/\/\/\/\ Android phone /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Car Stereo 

By doing this I would have oodles of audio and didnt need to find a home for a second extension speaker in the van.

Well it wasnt to be - for two reasons:

Firstly - the two wireless technologies (wifi and bluetooth) both run in the 2.4GHz band. and whilst generally
they share happy enough - in the case of the android device (galaxy Note 3) they didnt - resulting in intermittent
choppy audio in the siren app.

I cant say yet whether this is a limitation of Siren or the 536 - I know that I am able to stream music from the android to
the stereo flawlessly in the presence of external wifi so I am confident that the Note 3 itself wasn't the issue (tried it on 2 other
androids with the same issue) I expect unidens adoption of .AU format streams is - perhaps - an acknowledgement of their shortcomings.

Fortunately, I found space for an external speaker and the siren app controls the scanner volume as well as supports muting of
the audio coming out of the software (thereby preventing echo).

But the main problem is AP mode operation.

If you enable AP mode, and then you attach your mobile phone to it - the mobile phone assumes that the internet is connected via
the Uniden 536 - which it isnt - and re-directs the default route to point away from the 2.5/3/4G connection , to the Wifi

Why is that an issue ? well if you use google maps for live traffic , or indeed any apps that rely upon an internet connection for their
correct function (e.g. waze or iplayer radio / subsonic) then you're a bit stuffed !

The only solution is to put your phone into AP mode (known as tethering) and then get the 536 to attach to it in infrastructure mode.

Well for me, on a pay monthly business tariff where tethering is 100% supported - there is no issue, but if you are on a giff-gaff or other
low cost MNO service, then tethering is expressly forbidden and you will not be able to inter-work with the 536 and be on the internet without
2 mobile devices.

Hope this helps someone down the line - particularly if uniden produce a euro version of the 536 in the future.

regards

BB
humaxf1
Regular
Regular

Re: Uniden 536 - Mobile Use Wi-Fi

Post by humaxf1 »

WiFi aside, how would a euro version differ from a US version? I use my 'US' 536 quite comfortably in 'EU' mode.

Forget the WiFi dongle as it's a disaster plus I use an iPhone. I bit the bullet and bought a Proscan license for remote access/control. I stream the audio via Zello which works extremely well.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Re: Uniden 536 - Mobile Use Wi-Fi

Post by bigbloke »

it wouldnt have the us database and would probably have a different codebase
look at the BCD436 / UBCD3600 - thats how they work and the UBCD3600 is apparently not supported by proscan.

Yes I too use proscan I run my own icecast2 server in the attic, and VPN in from the van .
This approach allows me to both hear the audio and see the alpha tags as MP3 Tags, and stream
the scanner audio to the van stereo (with tags)

Beware what you stream with zello - everything is recorded. Enough said.

Regards

BB