Whistler TRX-1 Digital UK Police Scanner ?

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Sam P
Call Sign: 26DR340

Re: Whistler TRX-1 Digital UK Police Scanner ?

Post by Sam P »

Admiral wrote:I humbly think dated words are more desirable than modern text-talk M8.

I agree, although it may be discombobulating, alas. :D
Ubique Loquimur
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Admiral wrote:'gaol' was the spelling that I was taught
I was taught to spell it 'gaol' too, I always thought 'jail' was the american spelling?
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Late to the conversation,but, It's advertised as a police scanner in the USA as the Taggart there can be listened to. They will also have some law allowing something along those lines I imagine. We'd probably get a better insight from a U.S member or someone familiar with procedures in the U.S.
Here in the UK, it's now a no-no! Listening into the local Taggart was good, but as Mr Weetabix says, it's over and it was great while it lasted. I do miss the "43 to ZH" and a bit of chatter before encryption took over in the form of a series of beeps or turning what you were hearing into alien gibberish (which was funny to hear, sounded akin to oscilating your tongue rapidly whilst trying to make sounds)
The local Trumptons are a miss too, I can get them on ground control at the scene and that as everyone knows, is your lot!
Sadly we had too many getting scanners for ulterior motives. This is now why the hobby has changed.
You can never have enough radios!
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I think they started toying with Basic 'inversion' of the audio sometime in the late 90s. They'd be int eh clear one minute, then you'd hear the what sounded like someone trying to talk whilst their head was in a bucket of treacle
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

radiosification wrote:Encryption is incredibly easy to get these days, and incredibly difficult to break. There's no way the public will ever be able to scan the police unless they give us access.
That was said about Marconi MASC encryption, it was found out by accident that if you could get your hands on a Police MASC enabled Motorola MT6000E for about 5 minutes and using a programming lead copy the contents to a laptop PC, the contents could then be cloned to another MASC enabled MT6000E using the donor radio's serial number. You ended up with a working MASC MT6000E WITH working keys - they would remain valid until the system being monitored had it's keys next changed..
The only downside was the radio being written to had it's tuning parameters over written, to cure that, before cloning to the radio a note was made of it's tuning values then after being written to, the values reinstated..

Not cracked - but as good as :D

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

You'd probably get an all expenses paid holiday in an orange jumpsuit these days if you were caught trying to pilfer an plod radio....

.....you dirty god damn terrorist! :lol:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

MrWeetabix wrote:You'd probably get an all expenses paid holiday in an orange jumpsuit these days if you were caught trying to pilfer an plod radio....
Same situation back then... Think the main worry was plod selling encryption keys to crooks by allowing access to his or another copper's radio... They would be taking a chance because if a crook's radio was captured it would have the donor radio serial number..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
teddyt
Regular
Regular

Post by teddyt »

where can I buy a plod???
Baofeng UV82, Standard c5200ed, Icom lc-ft1610, Realistic pro-26, Trio 9r-59ds, Yeasu frdx 400, Realistic pro-2004, Yeasu ft-767gx and has the 2m, 70cms and 6m modules fitted, Yaesu FT 980,KT-8900d Quad Band, Trio,Baofeng GT-3tp, TYT MD380, Yaesu FT450D
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I knew a guy who was a ham - he bought an identical model radio to the ones used by the Police - a Burndept 471, and crystaled it up on GB3YL, plus SU8, and SU20 the popular channels in the mid 80s. The thing back then was that any walkie-talkie was a talking point and a blue police type even more so. We were walking down the local high street when a plain clothes policeman ran out of Boots, wrestled it off him and they went down struggling - with the policeman yelling "that's a stolen Police radio - give it here, you're under arrest". Gareth disagreed and they were rolling around. Then a Police car arrives and shoves him into the back, then, annoyingly, they put me in there too as a witness. Gareth in the cells - yelling and me in an interview room. "You heard DC XXX tell him of his rights?" As all he had yelled over and over again was "You're nicked" I said no. They said it was a Police radio - I asked for it, and they brought it in. I asked them to talk to the control room - they tried, and of course nothing happened. I then asked if they knew he actually had a licence - they looked confused, but I told them who to contact at the Home Office (the pre-OFCOM agency) and they confirmed he did have a licence and was perfectly entitled to own and use that radio. Eventually, they let him go. Ideally, he should have been quiet, calm and helpful - but he decided not.

Nowadays - nobody cares if you have a radio, so things have moved on!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

paulears wrote:
Nowadays - nobody cares if you have a radio, so things have moved on!
That is the upside of encrypted Tetra, the police no longer give a toss about any radio equipment on you or in your vehicle. Pre-Tetra they were paranoid about anything with an antenna on it.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
yagiman

Post by yagiman »

Admiral I hate text talk and all so prefer dated words.