BCT15X

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Pikeman01
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: No

BCT15X

Post by Pikeman01 »

Spent endless hours trying to program this scanner in properly it has defeated me to the point of packing it away and pulling down antenna and packing up scanning tried to do things properly LMR400 coax put a flag pole up with antenna on top to a height of about 30 feet not bought cheap stuff but feel so disolusioned with this scanner now time to pack up many thanks pikeman 01 :( so :(
Brownie2k2001

Re: BCT15X

Post by Brownie2k2001 »

If you have a cable to connect it to a computer, then a good piece of software to use to program it is bcTool.
I used it to program my 800XLT and whilst maybe a little confusing at first, it's so very easy to do after a little while. No point in giving up though if you've spent so much money getting everything set up.
Pikeman01
Regular
Regular

Post by Pikeman01 »

Many thanks Brownie2k2001 yer a lot of money bought a old bearcat handheld at first off facebook then a radioshack pro2035 got the best coax I could even a 20 some foot flag pole with a 10 foot mast on top of that had to concrete flag pole two and half in ground then the demon bct15x got two systems to work one local to me one airband managed to put quick keys to them managed to put 3 groups in one two groups in the other no way will it let me put quick keys into the groups got q/keys 1 and 2 on the line with so ------- also got a 9 on there from some where which wont let me move it also on the line grp------ under that one got a number 3 on there from somewhere again cant move it can scan systems 1 and 2 but can not get it to just scan like my pro 2035 now totally fed up of trying many thanks pikeman01 john
Brownie2k2001

Post by Brownie2k2001 »

The way i have mine set out is something like this:

System 0 = Air Band, Group 0 would be Manchester Airport, Group 1 would be Liverpool Airport, Group 2 would be Barton,
System 1 = Mil Air, Group x - x would be split between different freqs of interest
System 2 = Air Show, Group x - x would be different things
System 3 = Search and Rescue, Group x - x would be different areas
System 4 = Marine Band, Group 0 would be VHF Marine, Group 1 UHF on board radios

and i'd continue with stuff like that. Admittedly having the bcTool software did make it so much easier to program the radios as you can create systems and groups. Personally i'd recommend picking up a cable if you don't already have one, but if you bought the BCT15x new, you should have one with it. All you'd likely need is a USB - Serial adapter. Couple that with bcTool and you'll be programming much easier
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Simple answer is to flog the 15X and buy another 2035 that you can operate, I flogged one recently for about £35 quid I think, just avoid the idiots on eBay that want £100 for them
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Pikeman01
Regular
Regular

Post by Pikeman01 »

HI THANKS BROWNIE GOT SYSTEMS 1 AND 2 SET OUT LIKE THAT NOW CAN SCAN THEM OK WILL BE GOING ON HOLIDAY SOON TO CORWALL AND HOPING TO TAKE IT WITH ME WOULD I BE ABLE TO SCAN THE LOCAL CHANNELS IN CORNWALL ON THEM SYSTEMS THANKS JUST A NOTE FOR ADMIRAL A LOT OF PEOPLE MAY NOT BE INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO DO THINGS I MYSELF AM 66 YEARS OLD 3 HEART ATTACKS AND MY BRAIN DONT WORK AS GOOD AS IT USE TO SORRY IF THIS OFFENDS ANYONE BUT I WAS ONLY ASKING BECAUSE I DONT UNDERSTAND THE INSTRUCTIONS MANY THANKS BROWNIE YOUR HELP IS MOST APPRECIATED JUST CANT BE BOTHERED WITH JOKERS AT THE MOMENT AGAIN MANY THANKS PIKEMAN 01 JOHN
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Pikeman01 wrote: JUST A NOTE FOR ADMIRAL A LOT OF PEOPLE MAY NOT BE INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO DO THINGS I MYSELF AM 66 YEARS OLD 3 HEART ATTACKS AND MY BRAIN DONT WORK AS GOOD AS IT USE TO SORRY IF THIS OFFENDS ANYONE BUT I WAS ONLY ASKING BECAUSE I DONT UNDERSTAND THE INSTRUCTIONS MANY
You may have mis-interpreted my suggestion, basically go with what you know, I too cannot get my head around a scanner (3500XLT) so it's on its way out the door for something I'm comfortable with using.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Brownie2k2001

Post by Brownie2k2001 »

Have you tried the Easier To Use BCT15x manual? It describes how to program the scanner, but it's much easier to understand than the Uniden instructions. I'll post the link to it just incase you've not:

http://marksscanners.com/BCT15X/bct15x.shtml

As for taking it on holiday with you, seeing as you'll likely not know the frequencies around there, i'd program in any airports around there (as well as you can) and the main marine band frequencies and then i'd rely on close call to pick up anything else that may be local
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

I'll be reprogramming the BCT15x that I have for my brother who has recently got into the hobby, so that will be a useful site to check out.
You can never have enough radios!