MD380 Experimental F/W and scanning?

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

MD380 Experimental F/W and scanning?

Post by welshevo »

greetings TM1 i recently updated my code-plug in hope that it would scan like DSD+ using the new MD380tools etc however when i scan i see the amber led flashing then turn green and then solid green for a few seconds , but nothing is being heard when i know the various channels i have are all active...so i must have input something wrong? (im aware of a CAP+ beacon but this is defo chatter)
for example..

i setup a zone called shop watch, i input the frequencies, and select color code as 1...no TX box checked with different RX input....i did this for the same channel spread over 16 and used each CC from 1-16 but still nothing heard?

i was under the impression to utilize the scan and experimental firmware all we had to know was the Freqs , time slot and CC, so surely creating 16 channels with CC 1-16 should open the radio up? as the TGID isnt shown as far as im aware? in contacts i left them blank?

its annoying anyone shed any light?

thank you :d
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: MD380 Experimental F/W and scanning?

Post by Admiral »

Well, in theory you would need 32 channels, two for each CC and slot. If you don't have the TG specifically assigned to a channel then the firmware will display the first TG in your TG list.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
jhampton2000

Post by jhampton2000 »

...other than what Admiral recommends, two other things to take account of are (1) from DSD+ does the channel have RAS enabled? and (2) assuming this is a repeater channel you're listening to, you will need to make sure the RX and TX frequencies are different in your transceiver for it to know this: I don't recommend you set the correct TX freq BTW, in case you accidentally transmit on the channel (or else set it to TX inhibit if this can be done on the MD380).
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

jhampton2000 wrote:or else set it to TX inhibit if this can be done on the MD380
On that, early 'original' TYTERA firmware had a glitch that TX inhibit could be set (box ticked) in the software but it still TX'd, in the 'experimental' firmware that function does work and is assignable on or off to every channel.
humaxf1
Regular
Regular

Post by humaxf1 »

the only ''scanning'' the experimental FW will do is sniff out the TG in promiscuous mode. i would suggest setup 'scanning' this way...

by now you have the 16 channels (same frequency - Colour Coded 0-16) added to the shop watch zone (as you would do normally)

create a scanlist and for each channel, select this scanlist in the drop down menu (under bandwidth)

add the 16 channels to the scanlist (scanlists can hold 31 channels max)

create a zone called scanch (for short)

create a new digital channel - the TX/RX doesn't matter once they are not the same

assign the scanlist that you created earlier to this channel

tick the Auto Scan check box (*** most important *** or it won't work)

lastly add this 'auto scan' channel to the scanch zone you created earlier.

leave the radio on the 'auto scan' channel and it will scan all 16 channels by itself.

you can have all the FW updates you like, but remember this is a commercial radio, not an amateur radio. typical users (like couriers and security officers) know how to switch them on, which channel to be on and where the PTT is - and that's it.

hope the above helps.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

What about Time Slot's ?

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
humaxf1
Regular
Regular

Post by humaxf1 »

two zones would have to be created... one zone for TS1 and the other zone for TS2. Assign and add all 31 *** allowable *** channels to a scanlist or maybe add 30 channels leaving out CC0 TS1 & TS2 which I think is not a very common CC.

it sounds convoluted but it's the way it has to be done given the capabilities of the 380.
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

you could have both slots in one zone, you'd just need to make 32 channels as Admiral said
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
iscottybotty
Regular
Regular

Post by iscottybotty »

Humaxf1 -

The comments re the scanning, I'm lost. Do all the channels need "auto scan" selected or just the dummy one?

So, say the frequency is 453.125.

Create 16 channels all the same frequency with individual colour codes set between 0-15.

Am inthen selecting Repeater Slot 1 and the duplicating all of the above under Repeater Slot 2 or am I missing the point?

Do I need to create talk groups? I have an md380 with Saar (promiscuous) mode.

If you could do a step by step I would be forever in your debt.

Thank you.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Okay, forgetting privacy via hex, to listen to a clear, non-RAS DMR signal you need four things, frequency, Colour Code, Talk Group and Time Slot (if a repeater). You already have the frequency (380s don't scan a frequency range, we're talking about 'scanning' the unknowns on a given frequency), the experimental firmware negates the Talk Group, so we're just left with CC and TS to find.

You will need 32 channels, all programmed with the same RX frequency, 1-16 on CC 0-15 with TS 1, and another 16 with CC 0-15 on TS2.

When you eventually get the decode, write it down and then delete the 30 channels with the wrong Colour Code, it's best practice to keep both TS on a frequency as many are set up to use TS2 as a 'private' channel.
iscottybotty
Regular
Regular

Post by iscottybotty »

Admiral,

Thank you so much for the above advice very clear and informative.

I will give this method a try and come back with a reply if successful.
iscottybotty
Regular
Regular

Post by iscottybotty »

Re the above, have done everything stated.

Now, I have a UV5R which, although analogue I can hear when the channel is TX-ing...

On the RT3 however, the RX is coming through because the Green LED illuminates but there is no modulation, only the green light illuminates?

I'm beginning to think that the RT3 could be dodgy in that the digital side isn't working...?

Would anyone know of a DMR signal in Birmingham, UK? If so, if you could pass me the TG, Slot, CC and Freq, i can try setting it up for a radio test call just to be sure?

It could however be the MD380tools firmware causing the problem... I'm lost...?

Could there be something in the CPS MD380 V1.32 i need to tick, un-tick? Or could that be the problem in that I'm using the MD380 CPS and not the RT3?

The radio is receiving data from the laptop, again, i'm just scratching my head here? Help!
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

See my reply in your other thread as you have hijacked this one.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52413