SDR-RTL Scanning

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Kat
New User
New User
Call Sign: UK2584

SDR-RTL Scanning

Post by Kat »

I have just got myself a SDR-RTL USB dongle to go with my president grant 2 and a Uniden 780xlt Scanner can anybody help me out as to which software i need for theSDR RTL as it didn't come with any Thanks in advance for your help
“Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.”
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: SDR-RTL Scanning

Post by radiosification »

Try searching google before asking for help, otherwise you're just wasting people's time. There are PLENTY of guides online showing what software to use and how to install it and set it up. Just searching for "SDR RTL" brings up some of them. I'm sure that searching for "RTL SDR guide" would bring up many more.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Have you tried DVB Dream?

http://www.dvbdream.org/
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Kat wrote:I have just got myself a SDR-RTL USB dongle to go with my president grant 2 and a Uniden 780xlt Scanner can anybody help me out as to which software i need for theSDR RTL as it didn't come with any Thanks in advance for your help
Have a look at this guide, this is what I used and found it very hepful:

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Top right of this board you can do a search, there's a lot of guides, help and chatter from real people on the subject. Good luck, it's not as hard as some make out, I'm an old duffer and I got my head around it pretty quickly.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Has anyone used the NooElec NESDR Mini 2+? I know it won't be as good as the Funcube but is it worth the £20 to start playing with SDR?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

scanhermit wrote:Has anyone used the NooElec NESDR Mini 2+? I know it won't be as good as the Funcube but is it worth the £20 to start playing with SDR?
I have not used one, but looking at the spec it doesn't seem on paper to be much better than my £8 dongle. But for the sake of two pints of beer and 20 fags then why not?
And if you do get one, let us know how it performs.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition