Guernsey digital freq's RTL2832U SDR

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
newgen2005
Regular
Regular

Guernsey digital freq's RTL2832U SDR

Post by newgen2005 »

Hi guys,

Just brought myself a RTL2832 SDR, I have got it working and are able to listen to Taxis on NFM 165.xxxx. Can I get digital stuff on this thing?, my main questions is what freq's is the digital stuff? I understand some of it will be encrypted, just curious if I can get anything not encrypted!

Cheers
Lee
Freddie
Regular
Regular

Re: Guernsey digital freq's RTL2832U SDR

Post by Freddie »

The SDR can definitely pick up digital, you just need the right software on your PC to decode it.The most popular software is called DSD+, then you use something like VB-Audio Cable to make a link from SDR# to DSD+.

With regard to frequencies, I normally scan around with SDR# in the PMR bands until I find something that sounds digital (DMR/Mototrbo is the most common, and sounds a bit like a helicopter or machine gun before you decode it) then switch it through DSD+ to decode it.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

A million and one tutorials on here and the net for doing the DSD+ stuff, once you've been using it a while you will get used to it and generally be able to see which ones are DMR on the waterfall.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
newgen2005
Regular
Regular

Post by newgen2005 »

Freddie wrote:The SDR can definitely pick up digital, you just need the right software on your PC to decode it.The most popular software is called DSD+, then you use something like VB-Audio Cable to make a link from SDR# to DSD+.

With regard to frequencies, I normally scan around with SDR# in the PMR bands until I find something that sounds digital (DMR/Mototrbo is the most common, and sounds a bit like a helicopter or machine gun before you decode it) then switch it through DSD+ to decode it.

Thank you! Sorry to ask a silly question but what is PMR bands?
Freddie
Regular
Regular

Post by Freddie »

PMR = Private Mobile Radio, so includes things like PMR446 (at 446MHz) and various licenced users. I don't actually know what's where in the spectrum off the top of my head, so I tend to just flit up and down in the 140-180MHz and 400-500MHz ranges until I find something. If you google the UK Simple Light and UK Supplier's Light licences, that'll tell you some of the common frequencies.
newgen2005
Regular
Regular

Post by newgen2005 »

Not heard anything digital up to now! maybe not much of it on the island? Need to find some local to local to point me in the right direction! Anyone know anyone from Guernsey on the forum?