Using a scanner as a 'Spirit Box'

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
solarstorm
Regular
Regular

Using a scanner as a 'Spirit Box'

Post by solarstorm »

Hi,

Im facinated with the paranormal and i wish to try some ghosthunting although i believe some of the equipment ive seen people use on the tele as possibly quite expensive. Ive got a couple of Scanners and an SDR dongle.
Is it possibe that if i took these items to a known haunted hotspot that a scanner can pick up any transmissions of a paranormal nature such as spirit voices , ghosts etc.. (would i need to modify the scanner in any way?)
Also is there any risks involved such as demonic attachment as the last thing i would want would be letting a demon attach itself and to follow me home!

any advise appreciated. please note this is not a troll question as i am serious about ghosthunting.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Using a scanner as a 'Spirit Box'

Post by Admiral »

Although involving radios, I would suggest a paranormal forum may be more fruitful than this one.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

The only paranormal activity we have around here is oggys mod parker has been known to levitate, But only when his lambretta hits 22 mph
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

solarstorm wrote:
Also is there any risks involved such as demonic attachment as the last thing i would want would be letting a demon attach itself and to follow me home!
Thats nothing to be concerned about, We call it the XYL
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

solarstorm wrote: Also is there any risks involved such as demonic attachment as the last thing i would want would be letting a demon attach itself and to follow me home!
You have been watching too many USA ghost hunting shows where they all seem to think "spirits" are all evil and want to cause harm and death. {bnghd}

I am on the fence with all that stuff but as for "spirit box's" I don't believe they do what they claim to do at all, Every time i watch for eg: Ghost Adventures and they pick something up to me what they say it says don't sound like it at all To me it is just a rouge transmission that it coincidentally skips past.

The EVP on a simple digital recorder is more interesting and plausible.

All they use on those shows is a modified radio with the ability to scan the band while still being able to here the white noise and with no antenna or internal antenna removed.

I suppose you could use a scanner but how would you be able to scan and hear the white noise at the same time ? That too would also have to be modified.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

No need for modifications, Heres what you do, Get yourself onto topband on a sunday afternoon and listen to admiral bad mouthing me, That'll scare ya :shock:

You'll also hear a strange noise attached to his transmissions, Thats him hoovering the fluff from his heathkit airvents
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

don't no about scanners fella but them spirit boxes they flog are usually a radio shack am/fm set and they unsolder the pll lock pin so they just go into freefall and zip through the spectrum.

so you pay $100 for a $15 radio with ten minutes work done on it.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

We have a black spirit that haunts the forum late at night, You send broken radios to him and they mysteriously get posted back to you in working order, Ya dont need candles & a ouija board to summon him up, A jumbo with a dodgy VCO is all it takes to get his attention.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Apparently you can modify certain types of scanner to receive messages from beyond the grave by simply blasting them at full power in the microwave for 3 minutes.

It only works on scanners costing more than £250 though.

*DISCLAIMER* This might not work.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

solarstorm wrote: Is it possibe that if i took these items to a known haunted hotspot that a scanner can pick up any transmissions of a paranormal nature such as spirit voices , ghosts etc.. (would i need to modify the scanner in any way?)
No I can tell you for certain that there is absolutely no chance of detecting any sort of ghost or poltergeist using a scanner or SDR, although you might be able to trick yourself into thinking you can, if you try hard enough.

You might think you hear voices in the noise, if you listen for long enough. But don't worry, that's just you going (even more) crazy.

...Or it's just Jim from down the road on the local 2m repeater complaining about his illnesses.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

These ghost hunter people are really deluded. I saw a video on YouTube once where they had a radio they claimed they could hear something paranormal on. When they presented it to the camera, I could quite easily hear that it was just a radio skipping around the FM broadcast radio band.

A great market to be in if you want to rip people off. They'll literally buy into anything.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Derek Achorah you are a LIAR AND A FRAUD. Sue me....
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
neil-c
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by neil-c »

Oh hold on, he has got Sam on his side aswell ;)
Realistic pro2006, realistic pro2042, Yupiteru 7100, Fairmate HP2000, Degen 1103, ubc3500xlt, Micro-Adsb, Funcube Pro+
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

I know the local tescos (channel2 - security) had several issues with spirits around xmas

shoplifters nicking vodka and scotch mainly :-)

Regards

BB
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

looks like a post and hide wind-up thread to me, if the OP was really interested then he/she would have been back for a read by now.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.