SAR/Lifeboats

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Naytdawg
Regular
Regular

SAR/Lifeboats

Post by Naytdawg »

So last night in the estuary where i live a boat came a cropper and a Sea King was out on the sea winching off the boat, in shore lifeboat attended and a ambulance was waiting on the shoreline..
everyone was safe and well!

of course i didnt have my scanner out with me but am i right in thinking that they would of been using marine channel 0 to co-oridanate between them all?

how about the winchmen talking to one another, are circuits on a helicopter like a closed intercom or scannable?

thanks in advance
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: SAR/Lifeboats

Post by thelad »

Was it on the Humber just around 12ish? The Seaking crew have internal radio system called polycon, they are in the 449mhz area.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
Naytdawg
Regular
Regular

Post by Naytdawg »

no essex, between clacton and colchester, but thanks i will try and get close call earning its money soon!! (not that we have many rescues)
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

If it was an RAF heli, it would probably have been B flight of 22sqn based at Wattisham. Callsigns "Rescue 125/126/127".

You'll be lucky to get Polycon on Close Call, it's not that powerful.

Try these: 449.5375, 449.6875, 449.7375 — but be patient, you might not hear anything for days…
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
Naytdawg
Regular
Regular

Post by Naytdawg »

it was rescue from wattisham, im sure, cheers for the info
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

Its a long shot, but there are a few channels that have been "de-duplexed" for SAR and coastguard use. They are not used very often, but around these parts, the shore side of Channel 0 (160.6) is sometimes used, and there are words that the same for Channel 24 (161.8), 62 (161.725), 63 (160.775) and 64 (160.825). May or may not be in use in your parts.

Channel 16 would also likely have been in use, as the vessel being winched from, if still able to use a radio, would not have access to any of the above mentioned channels.
Naytdawg
Regular
Regular

Post by Naytdawg »

Thanks i have all 80 ? marine vhf's in, from now on i'll make sure i have my keys wallet watch AND scanner when i leave the house!
Radioshane
Call Sign: Shanesradio

Post by Radioshane »

it doesn't make sense therse a chanel on the marine band for whinching why don't they use that anymore?
mickydt
Call Sign: 26tm441

Post by mickydt »

around here in Lancs i quite regular pick up the sea king helicopters heading up to the Lakes most on practice and they transmit on various marine channels, next time i hear them i will include the marine frequency.

Also fairly lucky in that i also get helimed on marine bands.

mike
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

Radioshane wrote:it doesn't make sense there's a channel on the marine band for winching, why don't they use that anymore?
That is for communications between the rescue helicopter and Land SAR teams. Land SAR freqs are in the marine band because OFCOM couldn't sort out any better solution at the time. When they finally get round to sorting out 143,146,147,152,154,155 MHz, SAR should be moving somewhere within there.

Winching communications between the helicopter and the winchman is done using Polycon freqs, which SAR teams don't have access too.
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

when are they moving?
and is there no social group for moniters ? my friend had a look and he coudnt find any!
all he could find was for radio hams!
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

wow you lucky devil getting tetra helimed wow wow !
I've picked up Oscar nine nine before but only once and when it was on recently I heard mrcc calling him but couldn't pick Oscar 99 up
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

but according to bill Robertson there is some channels for whinching!
phillmobile
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by phillmobile »

Minus1 wrote:If it was an RAF heli, it would probably have been B flight of 22sqn based at Wattisham. Callsigns "Rescue 125/126/127".

You'll be lucky to get Polycon on Close Call, it's not that powerful.

Try these: 449.5375, 449.6875, 449.7375 — but be patient, you might not hear anything for days…
I can hear the polycon in Bridlington when the helicopter is landing at leconfield and thats 28km away in fact the only time you loose it is if they go over the edge of the cliff at flamborough

So its well worth banging all them freqs in to the scanner

phillmobile
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

sounds heaven on earth do you know when the sea king is being shelved?
and aslso when I pick up the chopper I can't pick up the coastguard do you know why that might be?