Digital scanning for newbie

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Radioshane
Call Sign: Shanesradio

Re: Digital scanning for newbie

Post by Radioshane »

to scanhermit what frequency is hmp full Sutton ?
and to radioisifcation can you decode dmr?
but in the radio user they said if there using digital enhanced privacy mode theres no way you can listen in !
but in the radio user he also said you can decode gsm and gsmr with the right equiptment ie professional equipment ive researched into this and there called a cellphone monitoring device it shows it can be done
but on the printout it says you need a home office warrant!
so even if you have tens of thousands they only sell to government agencies I e mi5 mi6 gchq and menwith hill
cos has I understand it gsm doesn't change the encryption key and I read there was a professor who broke the encryption key!
mind you it wound't be easy has its a 128 bit authentication key
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

to scanhermit what frequency is hmp full Sutton ?
http://www.transmission1.co.uk/viewtopi ... on#p274904
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

Radioshane wrote: and to radioisifcation can you decode dmr?
but in the radio user they said if there using digital enhanced privacy mode theres no way you can listen in !
I don't mind helping people who ask good questions, but the questions you've asked have been answered many many times on the internet. If you do a search on google for "how to decode dmr" then you'll find plenty answers to your question, and probably most of the other questions you might want to ask.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Lumiya

Post by Lumiya »

Although lots of comments on the hardware no yet answers on the OPs software question. I'm also interested in the answer so what software is good for digital (codec and de-encryption please)

Thanx for any answers

EDIT: especially interested in dstar and DMR amateur use but also anything else digital that I can decode via SDR
CB since '85
AR since '91
Ex-RAF

If you get just a YES or NO answer it will mean either you should already know the answer or you have proved yourself incapable of understanding the answer. Also if you think I need to explain what I type then perhaps you should realise your own limitations
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Found this: http://borg.shef.ac.uk/dmrdecode/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FjFgCYG7sU includes this
DMR Decode - Decoding a UHF Mototrbo Transmission with DSD Digital Speech Decoder Software. This small program will decode Mototrbo, Kenwood and other digital modes. A discriminator tap is needed on your chosen scanner/receiver.
I've no idea if a laptop has a discriminator tap or how one would be fitted.
Lumiya

Post by Lumiya »

Not needed if using an SDR. Will look at the above link.. Thanx
CB since '85
AR since '91
Ex-RAF

If you get just a YES or NO answer it will mean either you should already know the answer or you have proved yourself incapable of understanding the answer. Also if you think I need to explain what I type then perhaps you should realise your own limitations
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

scanhermit wrote: I've no idea if a laptop has a discriminator tap or how one would be fitted.
The discriminator tap is for a scanner, if you're using one as the source of the digital signal to be decoded.
If you're using an SDR instead, then you don't need it, as the SDR does not filter the audio. (as long as you untick the filter audio checkbox!)
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Thanks all. I wonder what digital signals there will be where I am, out in the sticks, but I suppose there is only one way to find out.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Almost all new radio systems sold now are digital, so there is a high probability that if you can hear some analog systems, you'll also be able to hear some digital.
Last edited by radiosification on 20 May 2014, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

It would probably explain some of the ghastly noises I hear on analog ;)
DistantSignal

Post by DistantSignal »

I just bought a dongle for £10 quid off ebay and gave it a try, picks up FM commercial radio stations no probs, not much else though on the little magmount it comes with. Got a jack coming to plug it into the external antenna so hopefully pick more stuff up.
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

what you on about it was a good question!
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

it was a good question even lumiya wanted an answer and by the way I have spent many hours researching on the internet about tetra and gsm and on your reply you didn't even mention that!
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

lumiya its you who have the limitations
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Radioshane wrote:what you on about it was a good question!
You asked me if it's possible to decode DMR, correct?
Radioshane wrote:and to radioisifcation can you decode dmr?
When I responded, saying:
radiosification wrote:I don't mind helping people who ask good questions, but the questions you've asked have been answered many many times on the internet. If you do a search on google for "how to decode dmr" then you'll find plenty answers to your question, and probably most of the other questions you might want to ask.
In my opinion, what you asked is not worthwhile someone else answering. Therefore it is not a good question. It's information you can find very easily yourself if you bother to look for it. Asking us such simple questions is just a waste of time for us to have to read your questions and respond to them. If you have a question to which you can't find the answer on the first or second page of google results when you search for it, then by all means go ahead and ask. However, the question you asked is not in that category.